Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2022, 07:38 AM   #57

Yes.. you can service your coach urself. I do mine every 12k miles. You do not need to get inside to do it.
Newmar nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2022, 07:47 AM   #58

Yes, I service my own

I have a much older motorhome than you do and I have a Cat engine. Everything is serviceable on mine from the outside except the air filter. It is a lot cheaper to do the service yourself. A strong recommendation is for you to get the service information checklist and stick to it.
hokeweise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:42 AM   #59

Send a message via MSN to e4services
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
.....I know many put the Fumoto valve in place of the drain plug, but that first time would still be an enormous mess. How do you DIY guys deal with that?
I used the shops trick to get my ISL Drain Plug Valve in. It's unbelievable! Have a helper hold the bad on the valve cover hole and swap the plug. Not a drop comes out.
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:06 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampers View Post
Ok we have a 2019 Dutchstar 4369, it only has 6K miles on it, I know it says to service every 10K miles or 12 months whichever comes first, I am not a big fan of the 12 month service if you put 2000 miles a year on the unit. Anyway, how hard is it to service one of these things, I have a big shop with mechanics that work on all my big trucks, can all the work be performed from outside the coach ? Not sure if I want my guys crawling around on the inside. It has a 450 Cummins, thanks for any info I may need, I guess I could dig up the owners manual to see what all is involved, thanks.
Iíve done my own service for over 30 years. You wonít have too much difficulty except for the radiator gear box drive & the fuel filter on the Onan 10KW generator is a bit of a pain to get to. The only thing youíll need to access through the inside of the coach is changing PCV filter on top of the engine @ 50,000 miles. I like doing my own service so I know all the grease zerks have been greased & all filters changed. Also it beats paying about $600 at a truck service center. Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #61

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I can easily change the oil in my cars, etc. The issue with doing so on the RV is the sheer volume of oil. I don't have a container big enough to catch 6 gallons of oil. Trying to drain half, get the plug back in half way, then get the other half out would be an incredible mess. I know many put the Fumoto valve in place of the drain plug, but that first time would still be an enormous mess. How do you DIY guys deal with that?
Easy peasy I found out after having the same concerns. Start with this .... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pricey these days, I know, but for still getting your money back with the first change and more. I start with the genset and then for wheeling it back under the engine. Punching a hole in the bottom of the filter to drain it, makes it lighter and some much easier to handle. I use a small gas can for putting the oil in fairly quick and for then pumping it out of the cart into the same jugs for later disposal at AutoZone or other.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 05:25 PM   #62

I am more than happy to pay someone else to do it.
Old 08-20-2022, 01:43 PM   #63

Freightliner Owners Club
I donít let anybody service my 2008 Fleetwood Bounder diesel pusher.

My Bounder has 109,000 miles on her and runs great , still on the original brakes. The only time I let some one work on it is when I don’t know whats going on.
Leary54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 02:49 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCSONRAIL View Post
Same here. As traveling full-timers we didn't carry the tools and places don't always allow you to do things on the campsite.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 07:50 PM   #65

Quote:
But can you always trust them to do so and for doing it right?
With our cars, I've caught them in the act for not doing a damn thing, so at least, mark your oil filter with a permanent marker.
Now cars are worth not doing it ourself with the prices for oil and the filter alone. Not only that, but they are also more troublesome than RV's because of their limited space underneath.
Old 08-21-2022, 10:00 AM   #66

Quote:
I would not mind paying someone else to do it but I just do not want to have to take it in to a dealer to do it, actually I will be paying someone else to do it, my mechanic at my shop does not work for free lol.
Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 11:07 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampers View Post
I would not mind paying someone else to do it but I just do not want to have to take it in to a dealer to do it, actually I will be paying someone else to do it, my mechanic at my shop does not work for free lol.
I'd think that a mobile mechanic coming to your location wouldn't charge anymore for it and just as long as you had the oil and filters there for him. That alone should make it cheaper by ordering from Amazon or eBay.
Old 08-21-2022, 03:10 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I'd think that a mobile mechanic coming to your location wouldn't charge anymore for it and just as long as you had the oil and filters there for him. That alone should make it cheaper by ordering from Amazon or eBay.
I have 3 full time mechanics, they work on concrete trucks, 18 wheelers, pickups, tractors, loaders , and all sorts of other things, I just did not really want them crawling around on the inside of the MH, that is why I asked if all the work could be done from the outside. Thanks for all of the good advice
Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 03:16 PM   #69

Tropical 36, Mark your filters so you don't get ripped off? Really! You believe most mechanics and service people are dishonest. How sad. I have had 6 RVs in 30 years and I'm on my 4th diesel. I have never had a problem with dishonest work.
Old 08-21-2022, 04:08 PM   #70

Quote:
Tropical 36, Mark your filters so you don't get ripped off? Really! You believe most mechanics and service people are dishonest. How sad. I have had 6 RVs in 30 years and I'm on my 4th diesel. I have never had a problem with dishonest work.
They are out and about in force in the auto industry, so just saying.
Thing is, most are unaware and just assume.

Tags
diesel, service