Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2022, 02:40 PM   #1

Anybody service their own diesel pusher ?

Ok we have a 2019 Dutchstar 4369, it only has 6K miles on it, I know it says to service every 10K miles or 12 months whichever comes first, I am not a big fan of the 12 month service if you put 2000 miles a year on the unit. Anyway, how hard is it to service one of these things, I have a big shop with mechanics that work on all my big trucks, can all the work be performed from outside the coach ? Not sure if I want my guys crawling around on the inside. It has a 450 Cummins, thanks for any info I may need, I guess I could dig up the owners manual to see what all is involved, thanks.
Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2022, 03:02 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
My last coach (07 KountyStar) I changed the filters (Air,Fuel,Oil) myself - everything is just bigger - if you can maintain your car you can do this. I couldn't see spending $300 for an oil change, when it would take me an hour or so. Also felt that I would do a better job - or at least care more than a stranger to my coach.

When I was picking the current coach up from the mothership ..... I asked the freightliner rep about filter locations and changing my own oil. She said in three years - I was the first to ask and as far as she knew no one she had delivered to had any intention of changing their own oil.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhexpert View Post
My last coach (07 KountyStar) I changed the filters (Air,Fuel,Oil) myself - everything is just bigger - if you can maintain your car you can do this. I couldn't see spending $300 for an oil change, when it would take me an hour or so. Also felt that I would do a better job - or at least care more than a stranger to my coach.

When I was picking the current coach up from the mothership ..... I asked the freightliner rep about filter locations and changing my own oil. She said in three years - I was the first to ask and as far as she knew no one she had delivered to had any intention of changing their own oil.
For me it is a pain in the rear to bring to a shop, especially since I have a big shop and the MH is stored inside of it. So does any of the work have to be done from the inside of the coach ? I was digging through manuals trying to find out how many filters it takes, could not find any info, looks like the generator service will be plenty easy.
Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:18 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampers View Post
For me it is a pain in the rear to bring to a shop, especially since I have a big shop and the MH is stored inside of it. So does any of the work have to be done from the inside of the coach ? I was digging through manuals trying to find out how many filters it takes, could not find any info, looks like the generator service will be plenty easy.
I have not seen anything routine that had to be done form the access panel in the bathroom floor.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:28 PM   #5

Have done most of the service work on my ISL, and now ISX, for years. Other than larger volumes and proper disposal of waste fluids, periodic maintenance is pretty straight- forward except for access to filters. While some coach builders have made it easier to change filters my adding remote filter mounts, many coaches require you to get in and around the engine for access, eg, the secondary fuel filter on the side of the ISL engine, above the starter, can be a bear to change.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:35 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
To answer your question there is no need to enter coach to service engine. Just did mine yesterday. You basically drop oil and filter replace one new oil filter with new oil in filter before spinning back on and pour 6 gallons of Valvoline 5w-40 Premium Blue Extreme full synthetic engine oil or you can put in 15w-40 of same oil. Two fuel filters and your done. The Valvoline is recommended by Cummings and has the Cummings logo on the bottle. There are a lot of other good oils out there like Delo, Shell, and others. I like the Valvoline. I use wix oil filters XE for extended life.

Make sure you have a large drain pan for used oil. I like doing my own. When I am done I know the job was done right. After you are finished and start engine make sure to inspect filters and pan plug for leaks and double check dip stick to make sure oil level is correct. Then check all other levels like transmission, engine coolant, hydraulic oil for cooling fan, coolant in Oasis heater bottle, then pump a little grease in all grease Zerks. Check air pressure and visible look at all tire while airing up.

Your ready to go

Roger
Rog442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:35 PM   #7

I can easily change the oil in my cars, etc. The issue with doing so on the RV is the sheer volume of oil. I don't have a container big enough to catch 6 gallons of oil. Trying to drain half, get the plug back in half way, then get the other half out would be an incredible mess. I know many put the Fumoto valve in place of the drain plug, but that first time would still be an enormous mess. How do you DIY guys deal with that?
Old 08-11-2022, 04:50 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've done all the servicing on my last two DP's and my current one since 2005. The hardest part for me, is sliding around underneath and greasing all the zerk fittings. If you have a shop with young guys, no issue.

Change the oil, filter and fuel filters, all at the back of the coach....outside.

On the Freightliner chassis, there is a fan drive gear box that can only be serviced from the bathroom, looking down. It should be checked at least once and make sure it's not leaking. If it's leaking, occurs fairly often, it will through gear oil on the engine fan. Change the oil in it, a few ounces, and that shouldn't need to be checked for a few years.

There is also a short driveshaft from the engine pulley to the fan drive. It has two fittings. Needs to be greased from underneath, but you need loooong arms.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 04:57 PM   #9

I'm new to DP ownership, so only changed my oil once. I was prepared with a new larger drain pan plus my car drain pan. Just in case I needed/wanted to slide it under there. Then, used a large funnel to pour back into empty jugs and recycle at Autozone. All went very smoothly. And, like the absent minded professor, I forgot to install my Fumoto valve... I discovered this oil filter wrench after the fact. It was really needed to loosen the filter way up at arms length! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I can easily change the oil in my cars, etc. The issue with doing so on the RV is the sheer volume of oil. I don't have a container big enough to catch 6 gallons of oil. Trying to drain half, get the plug back in half way, then get the other half out would be an incredible mess. I know many put the Fumoto valve in place of the drain plug, but that first time would still be an enormous mess. How do you DIY guys deal with that?
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:16 PM   #10

I have a question for you. Since you have big rigs and say you aren't a fan of 10k or 1 yr service. Do you or your mechanics think it is harmful to wait 2 yrs between oil changes? I have roughly 4k on the Valvoline Premium synthetic oil. It really feels like a waste of time and expense. I will probably take a sample to send off for testing after it cools down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampers View Post
Ok we have a 2019 Dutchstar 4369, it only has 6K miles on it, I know it says to service every 10K miles or 12 months whichever comes first, I am not a big fan of the 12 month service if you put 2000 miles a year on the unit. Anyway, how hard is it to service one of these things, I have a big shop with mechanics that work on all my big trucks, can all the work be performed from outside the coach ? Not sure if I want my guys crawling around on the inside. It has a 450 Cummins, thanks for any info I may need, I guess I could dig up the owners manual to see what all is involved, thanks.
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:37 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've been servicing my '04 American Eagle 400 ISL from day one since I took ownership in Oct. 2011 ie:Engine Oil & filter..fuel/coolant/hydraulic filters...change of belts as needed..service of oil & filter of generator as well as the coolant every 2 years..complete chassis lube every year..complete coolant flush & fill with Final Charge..cleaning of radiator section..service of Hydro Hot System..inspect & clean both roof AC's as needed.
I was a gas class A RV guy before this coach & just did my homework to learn to apply my current knowledge to Diesel application as well as IRV2...Youtube was a big help too. I wanted to know it was all done right & to save BIG $$$ not giving it to a shop & I love the hands on!!
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:38 PM   #12

I service everything on my ISL. Like others have said, it's not that difficult. Biggest issue is the volume of oil and transmission fluid. I purchase Fleetguard filters, and the Valvoline mentioned above. I agree with Don above, greasing it might be the most difficult. Not hard just crawling around under the rig. Make sure you take proper safety precautions when you crawl under it. I actually changed the filters and TranSynd in the transmission this week, pretty simple to do.
This is the Drain pan I purchased to catch the fluids.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Catch Pan.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	373377  
Old 08-11-2022, 05:50 PM   #13

For oil changes I have a pan that holds about 2 gallons of oil. While the oil is draining I just capture as much as possible in three 1 gallon old oil jugs. I seem to always have at least that many around the house. Once I have captured the oil it gets consolidated into 3 old oil jugs, or the previous 5 gallon pail for the recycling depot. Chain wrench is the only way I can get the oil filter off on mine, but that works pretty easily.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:05 PM   #14

I do mine and we full time. In some ways it's easier to do an oil change on my diesel Rv than it is on my Honda CRV. More room to work. Also, I know ALL the grease fittings are being serviced including the hidden one on the fan bearing.

I also take this time to do a pest inspection of the underside looking for any cracks or holes where critters can enter. Twice I've found a spot where factory foam had shaken loose leaving a mouse size hole. I'm also more likely to spot something out of place. While doing a service this month I noticed the tail pipe hanger for my generator was falling apart. A quick trip to the auto parts store and 10 minutes of work, and it's good as new.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, service