Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2022, 11:04 AM   #1

anyone cancelling trips due to diesel shortage

I have a trip planed this summer leaving in mid-July that starts in Florida to Polson, MT and returning in September. I have been contemplating putting it off to another date due to possible fuel shortages. How do others feel about diesel shortages this summer?
Phil_Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 11:07 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Sumner trip of a few thousand miles coming up. Not concerned about fuel shortages. If so, will just deal with it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:19 AM   #3

No, but maybe shorter trips. At $1 per mile for fuel, we have to limit our expenses.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:26 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
By mid summer here in Colorado, the local news is predicting $6.00+/ gal for Diesel, and gas will be north of $5.00/ gal.
Mine is parked.......

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:33 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
By mid summer here in Colorado, the local news is predicting $6.00+/ gal for Diesel, and gas will be north of $5.00/ gal.
Mine is parked.......

Mike in Colorado
I’m starting to see diesel at $6.45 here and it’s not summer yet.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Cook View Post
I have a trip planed this summer leaving in mid-July that starts in Florida to Polson, MT and returning in September. I have been contemplating putting it off to another date due to possible fuel shortages. How do others feel about diesel shortages this summer?
High prices, I think, most of us will deal with. Fuel shortages where you are limited or fuel is unavailable is another thing. I don’t think it will come to that.

I also think that most will be ok if you’re vigilant and not get much lower than 1/3 tank.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:57 AM   #7

We actually did make an adjustment to our next trip, however it was not entirely due to fuel prices. Had planned to visit the San Diego area and we got a promotional email from the hotel we stayed at a few years ago in Coronado and the prices were pretty decent so we decided to take the car which gets very good MPG (VW TDI). While there we will check out RV parks for future visits. I did notice the rates at the parks were not much below what the hotel is costing and combined with the fuel savings it made sense to do it this way. Meals will be higher but we often eat most of our meals out when traveling in the MH anyway, and there are a number of restaurants there we still haven't tried.

This summer we will still take our normal trips to NM and CO but the distances are not that far and our rig is fairly economical at 14-15 MPG so the fillups, while more than they used to be, will not be near as much as some of the bigger rigs.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:20 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
So far, the news is mostly saying East Coast because of the refinery that shut down outside Philadelphia and the need to send more fuel to Europe. It doesn't sound like it's going to be a nation-wide thing, if it has any impact at all besides prices. Big fuelers like Love's and Pilot have already come out with statements talking about what they plan to do to move fuel to where it's needed this summer. I think not giving you any at the pump is unlikely. Our season is going to be less eventful this year because of other distractions, with just a few multi-night trips. I'll be watching this summer and hoping for lower prices by autumn.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:44 PM   #9

Thanks for the input. I hate to give up this trip as I spent weeks planning and making reservations. You all know what that is like. I am getting to the end of the road age wise to be taking big trips and want to do so while I can.

Hopefully things will change for the best in the near future.

Travel safe and have a great adventure.
Phil_Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:42 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We have a sizable trip on the books this summer. As it stands, we are go. Ask me in another week or two and my answer may be different.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:56 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We had planned on a series of shorter (5-7 day) trips but are now not doing them. We are instead overhauling and freshening the RV. New floors, painting the interior, changing the lighting, etc. We may do a couple of weekend jaunts but for now that is going to be last minute. In addition we are investing in some sprucing up in the brick and mortar as well. Painted the deck, new trim, going to remodel the front porch... Rising prices is a big piece of our decision, along with shortages - not just of fuel but everything else as well.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:25 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have a 6 day trip planned for the 4th of July which we intend to take. We also have reservations for 6 weeks in Florida starting in January which we expect to keep, but could get canceled if prices get ridiculous.
wjl7727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:43 PM   #13

I don't believe there will be shortages. For anyone that will pay the price, it will be available. Glad to see that all the oil pumping countries we've literally saved or helped are stepping up to help us now. :-/
Old 05-21-2022, 05:27 AM   #14

Have a month long trip to northern Michigan stay scheduled. Had it booked since February. Took a 5 day in early May 2 hours from home. Probably will do one or two more trips closer to home( 2-3 hours). Like to do at least 5-6 good trips a year to make it worth the upkeep. storage and maintenance. This year may be different.
wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel