Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2022, 08:40 PM   #85

Fuel costs & availability

We leave next week in our Interstate 24X, driving from Colorado to Alaska and back - 2 months plus trip. The 24X (diesel) gets an average of 15mpg and sometimes 17 or 18mpg. We obviously talked about the price of fuel but we are at that stage of life where we better do it while we still can!
hmarkweidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2022, 09:32 PM   #86

Foretravel Owners Club
Checking with my former employer [trucking] Most of the fuel limitations seem to be east of the Mississippi.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:11 AM   #87

I'm not staying home because of the chance diesel won't be available but the gasoline prices are skyrocketing around here.
My off road diesel tank is close to needing filling and I have been checking sources for the best prices. So far $4.38/9 is the lowest I have found.
My friend who manages a large farm not far from me has been having his tanks filed daily for over two weeks averaging over 1000 gallons per day. He has been paying $4.89/9 per gallon. He's making calls now. 50 cents a gallon X 1000 gallons. You do the math.
All his tractors use DEF fluid too. I know he has a large tank but don't know how much he uses daily. This is only one of several farms right here in my home range.
I feel lucky my tank is only 300 gallons and it'll last me a year or more.
Gasoline is currently averaging around $4.99/9 per gallon for regular here in N. NY
Old 05-28-2022, 09:21 AM   #88

we are on our way to meet up with a Alaska caravan in Great Falls MT. Prices hurt but we are excited to travel. Have to suck it up a little, smile and have a good time. Leaving SOCAL prices were 6.30 highest so far was 7.25 in resort areas and Lee Vining Ca (isolated area of Highway 395) now in Idaho and prices are back to 5.35. have not heard of any shortages just yet. A random traveler from Canada said there were shortages in South Dakota, but no shortages that we have experienced so far....Life is a journey.. Please enjoy.
razahoryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:21 PM   #89

Nope, quite the opposite actually.

Seeing some nice high-end diesel coaches available at great prices. So I'm looking to buy a nicer coach as things go in cycles. At some point fuel will revert the mean and I will be cruising in my fantastic coach.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:25 PM   #90

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
Nope, quite the opposite actually.

Seeing some nice high-end diesel coaches available at great prices. So I'm looking to buy a nicer coach as things go in cycles. At some point fuel will revert the mean and I will be cruising in my fantastic coach.
True.. Be sure to check out the Newell & Foretravel lines...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:56 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee180C View Post
Fuel prices are just the last nail in the coffin for us. We retire in 2.5 years and [mod edit] inflation and lack of parts and repair places had us looking for alternatives to a beast that would massively depreciate and might be in the shop for months.

Ordered the Tesla Cybertruck and will buy a small used 5th wheel for National Park adventures. 200-250 mile towing with 25 min 10-80% charging and the torque of a Diesel is good enough for us. Might even come close to break even after 5 years of use on the truck since the supply demand will be so out of balance until the end of this decade at least. If you think that is crazy, look up the used car prices on a 3 year old model Y. Early buyers got paid over $25K to drive those cars with fuel saving included. Free or cheap charging at the campsite is just another amazing benefit which equates to a near $0 cost to see the surrounding area when you arrive. With 500-600 mile range when not towing. Lastly, this frees up another $150K to invest for retirement income.
We are literally doing that right now with our model Y and trailer. Works well.

The only thing I would wonder about with your plan is the ability to tow a fifth wheel with a Cybertruck. Do you think that will be possible with the box shape?
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:38 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
We are literally doing that right now with our model Y and trailer. Works well.

The only thing I would wonder about with your plan is the ability to tow a fifth wheel with a Cybertruck. Do you think that will be possible with the box shape?
Lol. Good luck.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:56 AM   #93

Diesel is getting more and more expensive, I never thought I see it out price gasoline!

As far as EV being an alternative, I would love to see someone do an “honest” report of towing a travel trailer with an EV?I’ve heard of one test that yielded 64 miles on a full charge, towing!

I think the way of the future will be hydrogen.

https://youtu.be/2wRh1jcOlvc
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:34 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
Diesel is getting more and more expensive, I never thought I see it out price gasoline!

As far as EV being an alternative, I would love to see someone do an “honest” report of towing a travel trailer with an EV?I’ve heard of one test that yielded 64 miles on a full charge, towing!

Well, we have been on the road touring BC and Alberta towing an 18 foot teardrop with our Tesla model Y. I can’t really really report on max range as we have been touring and I think our longest day was maybe 170 kilometres. I think our battery was around 30 percent when we pulled into the campground so extrapolate from there.

Next week we’ll be crossing Saskatchewan and Manitoba before going back into tour mode when we get into Ontario. I’ll have a better idea on range then. But I’ll speculate at 220 to 240 kilometres ish.

We have seen at least 3 other EV trailer combos on the road in the last week including one with a Quebec plate so they are out there. All with similar sized units to ours.

Here’s our combo.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:35 AM   #95

Minor changes

We scrubbed 2 of our planned trips this year.

The first was a venture to Indiana, scheduled about the time gas prices took off. Not sure where they would end up, we decided to postpone. Used the time to get a slow drip leak in the transmission coolant line repaired.

The second trip we cancelled had to do with the cruise lines offering my wife a free cruise. Not going to refuse free.

Still going up to Wildwood and down to Florida.

I do have my limits. I think we all do. If the price goes above $X, we need to adjust or cancel. Limits are sensible. But as someone pointed out earlier time with your family is important, and money isn't everything. If you can, take the brunt of the increased costs and enjoy your time while you can. Don't regret making that choice. Maybe eat cheaper when you get where you're going.

Here's hoping things stabilize in short order.
Monkey21144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:47 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post

I think hydrogen gas a future as well but probably more for the heavy vehicle market. Honda and Toyota have pretty much given up trying to convince people to buy their hydrogen vehicles and the fuel is super expensive compared to gas.

Kinda cool but I think it will be a hard sell unless they can market a way to refuel at home like an EV. Plus there is virtually no distribution system right now. Lots of challenges. I’m sure it will get better. Lots of potential as well.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:51 PM   #97

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I skipped pages 2-5. Sorry if I missed anything.

I'm concerned not only about the availability of diesel for myself but for my Amazon / Walmart / grocery / shipments also.

Pilot / Flyin J accounts for 20% of the OTR supply and 30% of the DEF supply in the US.

Union Pacific RR is reducing Pilot / Flyin J's shipments by 26% and asked to reduce by 50% or face embargoes by UP.

One railcar of DEF that U.P. shorts Pilot / Flyin J results in 5 MILLION miles a truck is sidelined. That's PARKED, a no-go.

Don't believe me? Hear it from Shameek Konar, CEO of Pilot / Flyin J (May 24, 2022)

Have a nice day,
- bob
cbr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 04:44 PM   #98

Newmar Owners Club
No shortages in our area (Great Lakes). Crazy high prices yes! We'll just have to deal with that.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel