Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2022, 11:57 AM   #113

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcopo69 View Post
I hope you're right with your doubts of fuel shortages, but I never thought I'd see a shortage of the only food available for our babies in this country. I figure if baby formula can come into play, then anything can turn into a shortage anymore.
Sounds like a great trip planned. ENJOY IT !!!!
Baby formula shortage is the result of the fact that only four companies in the USA make baby formula, and one plant was shut down do to unsanitary conditions. As we see more consolidation in the manufacture of various products, there is a bigger risk of shortages. The same problem we are seeing in the manufacture of computer chips for vehicles.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2022, 12:16 PM   #114

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Here's my take on using your motorhome if you have one or buying one if you don’t…

Amy & I typically log about 10,000 miles a year of motorhome travel. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (eia.gov), the nationwide average cost for diesel fuel in 2021 was $3.287 per gallon. At that price, our 2021 fuel costs would have been $5,478. So what do the numbers look like at higher price points?

At $4.00/gallon, $6,667 per year, an increase of $1,189.

At $5.00/gallon, $8,333 per year, an increase of $2,855.

At $6.00/gallon, $10,000 per year, an increase of $4,522.

At $7.00/gallon, $11,667 per year, an increase of $6,189.

At $8.00/gallon, $13,333 per year, an increase of $7,855 per year.

At $9.00 per gallon, $15,000 per year, an increase of $9,522 per year.

At $10.00 per gallon, $16,667 per year, an increase of $11,189 per year.

Now consider some of the other costs associated with ownership of a large diesel motorhome:

- Depreciation.

- Interest on your loan if you didn’t pay cash.

- Loss of potential appreciation on your investment portfolio if you did pay cash.

- Insurance.

- Routine maintenance & repairs.

- Extended service contract (if you have one).

- Site rental at RV parks

Those numbers will vary depending on the coach, where you stay while on the road, and a number of other factors. I don’t mean to imply fuel costs are insignificant. My point is that they are only part of the equation.

If you’re in your 40’s or 50’s, have a motorhome and choose to stay home because of fuel costs, I get it. Similarly, if you don’t have a motorhome and decide to put off buying one because of fuel costs, I get that too.

But if you’re in your 60’s, 70’s or beyond and enjoy motorhome travel, you may want to consider if a year (or more) of sitting on the sidelines versus doing what you like to do is the most rewarding use of your time.

If you simply can’t afford higher fuel costs, I get that. But I suspect most of us who own diesel motorhomes can afford to pay more for fuel, even though we’re not happy about it.

Just my thoughts. Differing opinions welcome.
At $20 per gallon I am out. Otherwise, life is like a game of monopoly. When the game is over, everything gets put in a box and on a shelf.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:03 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVStitchy View Post
At $20 per gallon I am out. Otherwise, life is like a game of monopoly. When the game is over, everything gets put in a box and on a shelf.
FWIW, service stations are now upgrading their pump price indicators and advertising signs for double digit fuel pricing. So, they'll be good until prices hit $99.99 per gallon.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:10 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
FWIW, service stations are now upgrading their pump price indicators and advertising signs for double digit fuel pricing. So, they'll be good until prices hit $99.99 per gallon.

That’s one station in Washington state and it’s for racing fuel.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:33 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVStitchy View Post
Well said Chris!
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:42 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
That’s one station in Washington state and it’s for racing fuel.
Probably more stations than that...There are several in SoCal with diesel at over $9 right now. https://www.foxla.com/news/chevron-r...ing-8-a-gallon
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:41 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
We are going to Canada from south Texas twice this summer. I have seen no evidence of a fuel shortage. If anybody has one, can they please post a link?
One of these trips has been on the books since late 2019, and both are family trips. They will happen regardless of cost at this point. I have two leaky buckets, one with cash and the other with time. The time bucket has a bigger hole in the bottom.....
John in YVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:42 PM   #120

We leave next week on a 4 month, 12,000 mile adventure out west, up to Alaska and back down to Michigan ending then in Nappanee. We been planning this for 3 years, yes higher fuel costs will be significant, But life is short and you never know when the game is over.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:09 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Raby View Post
Now, that's applying some common sense and math to the question at hand ! Love it! We're traveling from Atlanta to Montana/Wyoming/Colorado this year... not happy about the increased costs - but it's all relative... And - I doubt we'll see shortages of diesel - DEF, may be an issue (but also doubtful)...
$1.20.....maybe I missed a post somewhere.....where did you come up with that number? In March I left Florida for AZ at $3.24. I left AZ today and filled up at $5.45. Please explain the math to me again....please.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:48 PM   #122

Abreviated Abreviation

Just made our 2nd modification of a trip coming up in September with some friends in the neighborhood (San Diego). They all have TT, we have a 2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie. All in all we will still do at least 1,500 miles. Since 5/21 we have taken almost 20 local 2-3 day trips, each a learning experience and enjoyable.
The TT group will be continuing on for another 20 days and as far as Wyoming.
I ams still calculating fuel cost at $1,000
SantinoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:14 PM   #123

I did that!
Tireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:23 PM   #124

Bargain?

Who knows. The price we pay for fuel today may be a bargain compared to what it may be in a year. Get it done while the price is only double from what it was last year and don’t be the one who waisted a full year sitting on your hands.

If I had a trip planned this summer, I would go for it (we just returned). Now if you’re not going because you’re scared you can’t find baby formula, you can perhaps get you a pet goat. Ok, I understand, I shouldn’t have gone there. I apologize.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 11:12 PM   #125

Fellow told me the other day and I guess he is right!
You bought the elephant and now you are complaining about the price of peanuts??
Old 06-11-2022, 11:57 AM   #126

Good one Gene!
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel