Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2016, 08:04 PM   #1

Heartland RV Club
Anyone drive the Sea To Sky Highway in BC

We are currently in Cache Creek and plan to drive down to Vancouver in the morning. Two GPS units I use keep telling me I should drive all the way down to Vancouver and then up north to Squamish where we have reservations. I'm inclined to drive route 99, the Sea To Sky Highway, to save time, mileage, etc. and to take in the scenery. Is there any reason a 43' DS couldn't make the trip?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Following. :-). Sounds interesting.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenStMary View Post
We are currently in Cache Creek and plan to drive down to Vancouver in the morning. Two GPS units I use keep telling me I should drive all the way down to Vancouver and then up north to Squamish where we have reservations. I'm inclined to drive route 99, the Sea To Sky Highway, to save time, mileage, etc. and to take in the scenery. Is there any reason a 43' DS couldn't make the trip?
I've ran that route. You can do it but be aware that there are a lot of steep down grades. Many in the lower teen's. The steepest being 17 percent for 5 kilometers (3 miles) long. Some tight turns getting across bridges also.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #4

Did it last summer. Best drive we have ever done!
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:35 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We are from the Vancouver area, have a 43 ft and pull a toad, and we drove our rig through that area last year on our northern journey.

The new Sea-to-Sky is a breeze in your coach. The road that is of greater concern is the Duffy Lake Road (Hwy-99) between Lillooet and D'Arcy and getting from Cache Creek to Lillooet.

Go north out of Cache Creek and take Hwy-99. DO NOT go south and take Hwy-12 up to Lillooet from Lytton. Once you are at Lillooet all is good. There are a couple of steep hills (either 11 or 13 %, I forget) but they are not a problem, especially for rigs with an engine brake. Smaller rigs and some class Cs have been known to overheat their brakes but that's mostly due to not knowing how to brake on mountain grades.

It is a great drive and you will be happy you went that way.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #6

Heartland RV Club
Thanks to all that responded

Thanks to all that responded. I was a bit apprehensive about the trip, since both GPS units tell me to take the longer route, but now we are looking forward to the drive. Thanks again
Old 09-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like a beautiful drive. Please post a report of the drive and a few pics if you can!
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
DriveBC
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #9

Heartland RV Club
A Scenic Drive... But A Bit Scary

Thanks, especially to Ron H, for the response to my question. We did drive 99 down to Squamish and found it to be one of the most scenic drives we have done. The weather could have been much better, it rained all day long, but other than that, we were enthralled by the scenery all along the trip. Several times, as we made our way south, I wanted to stop and capture some photographs but it always seemed the turnouts were either occupied or too small for us to get fully off the road. Some of the turns were kind of tight, but we made them all without incident. My wife especially liked the single lane, wooden bridges we navigated, and I was impressed by the tight turn into the underpass, which we were lucky to make before the construction trucks lined up for their shot at it. The only photographs I got of the trip were at the town of Lillooet, when I was able to pull into a pull out that was unoccupied. Thanks again Ron, for your assistance.

I tried to include two photographs but ran into problems. I don't have a URL for those pics...sorry
Old 09-05-2016, 04:26 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I'm glad you enjoyed the drive.

The section of road, west of Lillooet, is knows as the Duffy Lake Road. It's one of my favorite motorcycling roads.