Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2020, 07:46 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Anyone install a motorcycle carrier/ramp on their Bay Star?

I have a 2014 Newmar Bay Star Sport 2903 with upgraded F-53 20,500 chassis. I also have a 650lbs motorcycle I would like to haul on the back of my unit using a Class V receiver hitch.

Anyone have any experience with this? No, I haven't weighed by rig just yet (newby)
Kunkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #2

The tongue weight is rated at 500 lb. i have a black widow carrier on the back for my bike but it only weighs 200lb. The max weight for a hitch carrier ive seen is 600lb. Unfortunately for heavy bikes like harleys, the only options are cruiserlifts or trailers, both in the thousands. another factor is that the hitch on a baystar is really high, making loading and unloading difficult. i use drop down receivers to manage it, but its a fine line between height and bottoming out.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Thanks Fred, agree.

My 2014 BMW R1200RT is 610lbs and I'm looking at the CruiserLift product. I'm in the process of using a formula to determine whether or not my Bay Star Sport 2904 (upgraded 20,500 lbs., F-53 chassis) will support it adding an extra receiver or two. Nice thing about the CruiserLift is it raises/lowers the ramp using a winch system and electric (not hydraulic) motor.

My fall-back plan is a Suzuki Burgman 400 ABS which weighs ~490lbs
Old 05-26-2020, 07:27 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Update.

Weighed my Bay Star Sport 2903 with full tank of fuel and fresh water. After the formula from CruiserLift, I have about 600 lbs. of weight remaining on the rear axle to support the lift/bike.

Any opinions on how much stuff I can put in the rear of my RV before I max out the gross [rear] axle weight rating (GAWR) of 13,500 lbs.?

I'm also considering some rear axle suspension and steering modifications in support of the Cruiserlift, like these:
1. SumoSprings for 2014 Ford F-53 Part # SSR-187-54-1
2. Roadmaster Rear Anti-sway Bar for 2014 Ford F-53 Part # RM-1139-145, and
3. Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer Part # RM-RBK22-RSSA
Old 05-26-2020, 07:40 AM   #5

How about just purchasing a TandemTow. You can haul your motorcycle plus a FWD vehicle. If the dolly plate is adjusted correctly for your car/truck/SUV on the dolly you can have around 400 pounds of tongue weight.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #6

Yes, looking at that tandem tow, it seems like a good option for carrying a bike and towing a car. cost is high, $4K, and delivery requires use of a forklift. As a aside, i decided to tow dolly my car, for health reasons, and there was no combination of hitch receivers that would let me carry the bike and the dolly. The bike carrier always extended over the dolly hitch, making it impossible to unhook the dolly. So, I sold the bike. Luckily, i got what i wanted for it.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:45 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Angry

Update: installed the CruiserLift.

After filling my 80 gal fuel tank and my 75 gal water tank with my 605 Lbs. motorcycle on the lift, I had ~50 Lbs.. remaining on the rear axle, a far cry from the 600 Lbs. determined when I used the CruiserLift formula. As it stands, I do not have enough carrying weight to support clothes, shoes/boots, food & other items.

Oddly enough when I drove to the nearest weigh station with my motorcycle on the CruiserLift and with the new SumoSprings installed the coach drove like a dream, with no excess sag. A testament to the SumoSprings product.

Now to decide whether or not I'll stick with the CruiserLift and limit how much water I put in my fresh tank and/or transport a lighter motorcycle/scooter, or punt to a 5' x 8' enclosed motorcycle trailer.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:20 AM   #8

Hydralift MC lift

Hydralift-usa.com
I have gone 8000 miles and no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02927s.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	790.8 KB
ID:	299647   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02928.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	649.6 KB
ID:	299648  

Geo19Irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo19Irv View Post
Hydralift-usa.com
His BayStar will not handle a hydralift. Or a cruiser lift for that matter.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:36 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo19Irv View Post
Hydralift-usa.com
Still happy with your lift ?
4ESCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunkies View Post
Update: installed the CruiserLift.

After filling my 80 gal fuel tank and my 75 gal water tank with my 605 Lbs. motorcycle on the lift, I had ~50 Lbs.. remaining on the rear axle, a far cry from the 600 Lbs. determined when I used the CruiserLift formula. As it stands, I do not have enough carrying weight to support clothes, shoes/boots, food & other items.

Oddly enough when I drove to the nearest weigh station with my motorcycle on the CruiserLift and with the new SumoSprings installed the coach drove like a dream, with no excess sag. A testament to the SumoSprings product.

Now to decide whether or not I'll stick with the CruiserLift and limit how much water I put in my fresh tank and/or transport a lighter motorcycle/scooter, or punt to a 5' x 8' enclosed motorcycle trailer.
So, with the weight of the CruisLift and the motorcycle you're about 200 pounds over the 500 pound weight rating of the hitch?
Old 09-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
No. My 2014 Newmar Bay Star Sport 2903 came with a class III receiver hitch with a 500 Lbs tongue weight capacity. As part of installing the CruiserLift, I had the receiver hitch upgraded to a class IV (1,000 Lbs tongue weight max capacity) receiver hitch.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #13

I didn't know that installing a more robust receiver would increase the manufacturers load rating. I thought the hitch rating was limited by the capacity of the frame extensions and not by the receiver itself. My mistake.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:03 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Before I got my current RV, I used an enclosed cargo trailer for my bike. Loved that setup as the bike was out of the elements and secured, even at campgrounds. The only drawback was the lack of a toad for bad weather days.

Even though I now have a class A toyhauler, I have kept the trailer. It doesn't cost anything to feed it and I can use it to haul the bike in for service or even the lawn mower. Several friends have used it with their RVs when we have gone on group trips where we used the RVs as base of operations for some interesting rides.

You didn't describe any potential toad for your setup. If you have a pickup, you can consider putting the bike in the bed and tow it all!
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bay star, install