Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Anyone know where the front cold water shut-off is!

When we ordered the coach, we selected the optional hot water line to the generator compartment. In addition, we asked for a "special" to install a cold water line to the generator compartment as well. It was approved and I have two faucets up front.

It is now getting below freezing at night here in Montana and I want to drain those two lines. The two supply lines run along the driver side frame rail, In the pass-through cargo bay, the hot water line has a shut-off valve; the cold water line does not. I have traced the lines back as far as I can (they disappear behind the wet bay panel) and find no shut-off valve on the cold water supply line.

I've called Newmar and they seem to be puzzled. At this point, they are trying to research the engineering drawings, but haven't found anything.

I suspect the valve got left out. Or, am I missing something here? Before I take matters into my own hands and install a valve myself, I'm wondering it anyone else has figured this out.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Remember seeing this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/what...or-404795.html, took a bit to find it Jim, hope it helps ya........
I would think both your hot and cold would have drains?
Old 10-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Remember seeing this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/what...or-404795.html, took a bit to find it Jim, hope it helps ya........
I would think both your hot and cold would have drains?
Thanks! Yes, I had seen that thread, but it deals with the drain lines for winterizing.

The problem I am facing is that I can't "winterize" (aka drain) the cold water line until I can shut off the supply. I can't find any valve in the line that will let me shut off the supply.

TJ
Old 10-11-2018, 06:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Thanks! Yes, I had seen that thread, but it deals with the drain lines for winterizing.

The problem I am facing is that I can't "winterize" (aka drain) the cold water line until I can shut off the supply. I can't find any valve in the line that will let me shut off the supply.

TJ
in the front most pass through storage bay, on the drivers side, near the frame rail, there is an in line shut off valve in the line that runs to the hot water outlet in my genset area.....

you should have shut offs on both lines down there somewhere....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
in the front most pass through storage bay, on the drivers side, near the frame rail, there is an in line shut off valve in the line that runs to the hot water outlet in my genset area.....

you should have shut offs on both lines down there somewhere....
You are absolutely right, we SHOULD have a shut-off in BOTH lines right where you describe. There is only one!

I think they ran the new cold water line and meant to cut a valve in, but got distracted. We love our Newmar (and, loved the one before it), but the attention to detail needs a bit of improvement. Newmar should designate someone to go through the coach after it is completed and check on all the options and specials to be sure they have been properly done. They also need someone with a vacuum cleaner to pick up all the debris before delivery. I would be embarrassed to deliver a coach with debris in every space.

TJ
Old 10-11-2018, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
You are absolutely right, we SHOULD have a shut-off in BOTH lines right where you describe. There is only one!

I think they ran the new cold water line and meant to cut a valve in, but got distracted. We love our Newmar (and, loved the one before it), but the attention to detail needs a bit of improvement. Newmar should designate someone to go through the coach after it is completed and check on all the options and specials to be sure they have been properly done. They also need someone with a vacuum cleaner to pick up all the debris before delivery. I would be embarrassed to deliver a coach with debris in every space.

TJ
hmmm...well, that is unfortunate.....

i am sure you have looked well, but have you checked the entire run of the line ? man, i just feel like they wouldn't miss that....

if they did, i agree, lack of attention to detail...and i also agree on the construction debris..i am still finding it, and having it shaken out of spaces.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
hmmm...well, that is unfortunate.....

i am sure you have looked well, but have you checked the entire run of the line ? man, i just feel like they wouldn't miss that....

if they did, i agree, lack of attention to detail...and i also agree on the construction debris..i am still finding it, and having it shaken out of spaces.....
I have checked the entire run of the line from the faucet to the point where it disappears behind the wet bay wall. I can't imagine them installing a shut-off valve in a location where you would have to remove an enclosure in order to access it.

The shut-off valve for the hot water line (which parallels the cold water line) is easily seen in the pass-through compartment on the driver's side. You'd think they would put the cold water shut-off in the same location if, for no other reason than convenience.

TJ
Old 10-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My hot water line to the gen. runs next to the cold water line that goes to the icemaker. It has a shut off valve, is it possible they tapped off of that line?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:19 PM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
My hot water line to the gen. runs next to the cold water line that goes to the icemaker. It has a shut off valve, is it possible they tapped off of that line?
Hmmmm. Well, I have a pair of supply lines coming from the two faucets in the generator bay that run along the frame rail on the driver side. In the pass-through cargo bay, the hot water line has a shutoff valve. The cold water line has a tee with a line running up and over the frame rail. The vertical leg of the tee section has a valve installed on it. Thinking that might, somehow, be the shutoff valve for the line running to the generator bay, I turned it off. No luck; the cold water line to the front still had a full flow of water with the valve closed.

I can't easily follow where the vertical tee section goes or what it feeds. It is too far forward to be the ice maker feed. And, it seems to be a bit forward of where it would feed the kitchen sink faucet, but I suppose that is a possibility. I will check it out.

Following the two parallel supply lines back from the pass-through cargo bay, they continue along the frame rail and, eventually, run behind the wet bay wall. In the section visible to me, there is no valve in the cold water supply line. I can't imagine that they would put the valve behind the wet bay wall where you would have to remove a lot of stuff in order to perform a routine maintenance task.

What am I missing! Just in case, I have ordered a vale from Newar via Comnet2 and will cut it in when I get home. Hopefully, there will be enough residual head in the generator compartment to prevent a freeze up in high-20 temps, like those forecast for tonight.

TJ

Tags
water