Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2021, 02:52 PM   #15

The drawer slides came from the big 'A'. The ones I bought aren't on there now but there are plenty of heavy duty drawer slides available there.

I wanted to make the grill swivel but the size of the cabinet wouldn't allow it. The box with the grill mounted on top must be lifted up to be rotated. Not the most convenient but it was the only option I could come up with to have the rotate feature.

I've attached a couple of my original drawings for the project. When you compare them with the picture above you can see the concept. The mounting surface for the drawer glides is a 3 sided plywood tray. My first thought was to mount the glides to boards on the cabinet walls but the cabinet box i not totally square. The 3 sided tray keeps the drawer glides parallel.

A second 3 sided tray attaches to the drawer slides to side in and out. Space is so tight in this cabinet that I had to use aluminum L brackets for the vertical legs in order to get the width needed for the grill box.

The grill fits like a glove. I had to switch from my Weber to this Napoleon because the Weber wouldn't fit. Very happy with the Napoleon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV BBQ Slide3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	326640   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV BBQ Slide4.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	326641  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2021, 08:10 PM   #16

I’m not understanding why anyone would want to BBQ on a slide tray, close to your coach along with the basement open to gather smoke and maybe with the awnings out. Just seems easier and less smoky to have a BBQ stand that you can place downwind from the coach, or anywhere else you might want it. I suppose it makes sense if you’re boondocking for the night. Just me, but I want the flexibility to cook where I choose.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:39 AM   #17

I can't speak for others but a sliding grill is necessary for me. As a wheelchair user I am not able to lift a grill out of a storage compartment. My wife can do it but it is not an easy task for her.

In our first motorhome it got to the point where we weren't using the grill much because of the hassle to set up and take down. That's when I came up with the side out grill idea. With that mod we were able to be ready to grill in 5 frustration free minutes.

When we got our Newmar a side out grill was at the top of our mod list. The cabinet for this is pretty small and is a very snug fit for the grill. I chose this compartment because it is not under the awning. I haven't experienced any heating of the motorhome wall or smoke intrusion into the open compartment.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:13 PM   #18

I'm interested in doing this mod for my PitBoss pellet grill/smoker for the sole reason of saving my back! Trying to retrieve & store the grill (especially when the slide is out) is difficult at best. With this mod, I can slide it out and easily move it to a table. . .and safely move it back to storage when I'm done. Thanks for sharing!
Kshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshock View Post
I'm interested in doing this mod for my PitBoss pellet grill/smoker for the sole reason of saving my back! Trying to retrieve & store the grill (especially when the slide is out) is difficult at best. With this mod, I can slide it out and easily move it to a table. . .and safely move it back to storage when I'm done. Thanks for sharing!
A slide out shelf would definitely help with that. You just have to choose the appropriate cargo bay. I only had one choice since I didn't want the grill to be under the awning. Since you will be moving it that won't be an issue for you.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:29 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Saw a link to this video over in the class-A section on a thread about a Newell. They put a dual element (electric) Kenyon into a basement slideout. Really nice setup (of course the way the bay doors open on the Newell gives a nicer opening. Not going to lie, my budget for this mod is going to be a bit more modest than the cost of the setup in the video.

Grill portion starts at minute 39.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:39 PM   #21

That coach proves the saying that anything's possible if you throw enough money at it.
Old 07-04-2021, 06:51 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Anyone mounted a grill on a slideout tray?

Lots of other projects (or weather) kept getting in the way of this one but I finally got it ready to use over the last 2 days.

I decided to mount the grill on a set of 60" industrial slides that lock in and out from my rearmost storage bay. That bay doesn't have a slideout above it and the door itself is small since the bay is only 22" clear from side to side. That allows the grill to clear the door with a nice gap. I made a 70" deep drawer since in my 4310 floorplan that is how deep that bay goes (all the way back to the backside of the electrical panel. Note: I did have to crawl back there and reposition the large 12v cables that enter the bay since they were hanging in the way unsecured .

For the last 5 years I have used an electric Weber 240 that has been a great grill. It gets up to 550 degrees, has interchangeable grates / griddles and I never have to worry about storing pellets or propane. I did modify the grill for this project, I removed it from the thermoplastic base and turned the base around and then remounted in the same holes (it's symmetrical). I reversed the base because I wanted access to the grease cup from the right side.

I have also been using a single burner induction cooktop for outdoor cooking and I don't ever need to take the induction cooktop out of the MH kitchen this way.

I used the existing basement circuit for the induction cooktop. After my sub-project to move the vaccuum out of the way (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/mov...um-534379.html) I also moved the plug for the vaccuum so it wouldn't hang down into the bay (it's now mounted between bays 12" over). I also decided to tie into the basement fridge/freezer circuit for the grill. I chose this circuit because it doesn't go through the inverter. This allows me to run both the grill and the induction cooktop at the same time (as long as I'm plugged into the grid or running the generator). Because I only trust the grill control so much I switched that circuit choosing a circuit with a pilot light so when the grill is put away I know power is off. I have a switch so I can turn off the 120v to the basement fridge/freezer so that I won't exceed the amps on that line.

The drawer is plywood but the area the grill sits in has a 26guage steel liner. The aluminum trim protects the edges of the plywood, and hides the edges of the steel. This makes for an easy to keep clean grill area.

I ran at test yesterday with the grill up to 550F as IR measured on the griddle and the outside of the grill got to 180F. Before I started the door measured 78F on both sides as did the sliding drawer itself. At the end of the 30min test the door aluminum had risen to 82F on the nearest corner to the grill, the drawer had risen to 80F. The flip-up countertop was 84F on the edge near the grill. Note this was a confirmation of a pre-build test; before I started this project I'd brought the grill inside to test how much it heated surrounding objects. In part the Weber does so well because there is a cast aluminum body, with a heat reflective aluminum lining mounted with an air gap. That's also why it can get so hot inside when running on 120V.

So here are pictures of the completed project. There is a cutting board that stores above the induction cooktop so that space is effectively a counter while cooking. There is a 2nd cutting board that flips up on the far end so there is counter space on both sides of the grill. The grill is held in place with clevis pins through the feet secured with a cotter pin, allowing me to easily move it away from the RV if I'm really going to be smoking up the place, etc. The last pic of it sitting inside the bay was taken as I was wrapping up the carcass before any sealing / painting.

- Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4009.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	644.6 KB
ID:	334663   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4010.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	334664  

Name:	IMG_4011.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	640.4 KB
ID:	334665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3950.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	508.1 KB
ID:	334666  

Old 07-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #23

Nice looking cooking center. Wish I had that much depth to work with.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:32 AM   #24

Since I didn't get any slide trays on my order, I'm having slidemaster make them. This includes a outside work surface for cooking, sewing or even gaming. Ours is a 4354 model, the slide isn't the full wall on the passenger side. That leaves the last compartment before the peg board fairly clear of a slideout. Wanted a tray just below the frame (sitting height). They had to have both bottom and top trays come out for stability but came up with a side tray pull for the top so you could have a place for your legs to clear underneath.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20210706-092321_Drive.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	334946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210706-092334_Drive.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	334947  

Cory2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:14 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
Since I didn't get any slide trays on my order, I'm having slidemaster make them. This includes a outside work surface for cooking, sewing or even gaming. Ours is a 4354 model, the slide isn't the full wall on the passenger side. That leaves the last compartment before the peg board fairly clear of a slideout. Wanted a tray just below the frame (sitting height). They had to have both bottom and top trays come out for stability but came up with a side tray pull for the top so you could have a place for your legs to clear underneath.

That looks nice, do you plan to secure something on top of that pull out shelf or does that come close to the top of the bay?

- Richard
Old 07-06-2021, 10:36 PM   #26

Could probably fit a few things on there since the top portion of the tray would be under the frame rail. Probably will have to separate my Blackstone grill for it to fit on the bottom or top storage wise. Having them put a ribbed black rubber matting on the trays to keep things from moving around. Can pull them out and wash em if needed. Definitely not cheap but should be unique. Not having the full wall slide gives an option for this. Plenty of clearance from the coach and slide for cooking outdoors. Wife is looking forward to it being her sewing table. I've got a new computer setup where I can take the monitor outside and everything else is wireless. Just need to run a monitor cable which will be the hardest part. I'll post finished photos when I have it installed early Sept.
Cory2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:26 PM   #27

My Grill Slide Out Adaptation

My “back-saver” for loading and unloading my grill when the wall slide is out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EA7C8859-945E-4B10-B614-4FCF092C1BB4.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	468.3 KB
ID:	336889  
Kshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:17 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshock View Post
My “back-saver” for loading and unloading my grill when the wall slide is out.

Nicely done.

- Richard

Tags
slide, slideout