Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Anyone mounted a grill on a slideout tray?

A recent thread about having to pull grills out of the basement bays and setup got me thinking about this again.

There are MH brands that have had pullout kitchens/grills in the basement but I’ve never seen it done on a Newmar.

Obvious engineering challenges are:
- pulling out far enough to clear the sides of the coach(including slides)
- heat shielding/ splatter guard
- stability of the slideout when extended that long (e.g., may need an adjustable leg that folds down to support the weight on the end)
- need enough kitchen workspace around the grill
- need to access items stored on the tray behind the grill

Am I missing anything else?

The advantages I see are:
- it’s already level, no need to level a stand
- no need for the stand (storage and setup)
- no lugging around
- easy to setup/close up (when cooled down) for severe weather or extended excursions away from camp
- already under my awning
- can provide a good light source for grilling at night

Anyone already done this? If so what was your experience? Pictures would be great.

Anyone put a lot of thought into it and then abandoned the idea care to share why?

Thanks in advance.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2021, 07:17 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout with stove.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	324554

Name:	Slide with stove & BBQ rolled out.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	324555

I have done this. It works great. The two burner stove is on the shelf with the roll out BBQ underneath.

I have tried to attach pictures. Hope they are there.
RichieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:19 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieO View Post
I have done this. It works great. The two burner stove is on the shelf with the roll out BBQ underneath.

I have tried to attach pictures. Hope they are there.
I rotated the pictures and re-uploaded them here which seems to have fixed the first one when clicked on not sure why it didn't fix both my PC browser shows them both oriented correctly on screen :(

Did you have to do anything to counterbalance the weight when the grill is out? How far from the outside wall are the backs of the grill / stove?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Slideout with stove2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	324597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide with stove & BBQ rolled out2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	324598  

Old 04-11-2021, 08:24 AM   #4

Waiting on our 4354 to arrive for FPU. Then we'll be going to slide master in WI for custom slide trays. I'm going to explore a top of compartment slide out work surface for an outside kitchen.
Cory2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:05 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
That's a well thought out system.

For the OP, I was thinking of a second slide (using heavy duty drawer rails) mounted to the top of the slide tray, so once the slide tray was out, you could slide the BBQ farther away from the coach if necessary. Another thought would be a double scissor mechanism, that attached to the tray floor with a shelf mounted to the scissor mechanism. When ready to BBQ, grab the shelf/BBQ and pull up and outward. The unit would lift up and come forward over the edge of the tray (kind of like a convertible roof on a car). It would allow you to keep the BBQ in the tray and still store stuff around it.

Name:   Slideout with stove2.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  25.2 KB

Name:   Slide with stove & BBQ rolled out2.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  30.5 KB
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:33 PM   #6

I guess I wouldn't want it by a open window for the smoke or by a seating area especially with small children playing around it. We mostly used public parks and they always had a picnic table for the grill and we had a portable propane for use with it. It worked for us.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:04 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
That's a well thought out system.

For the OP, I was thinking of a second slide (using heavy duty drawer rails) mounted to the top of the slide tray, so once the slide tray was out, you could slide the BBQ farther away from the coach if necessary. Another thought would be a double scissor mechanism, that attached to the tray floor with a shelf mounted to the scissor mechanism. When ready to BBQ, grab the shelf/BBQ and pull up and outward. The unit would lift up and come forward over the edge of the tray (kind of like a convertible roof on a car). It would allow you to keep the BBQ in the tray and still store stuff around it.

That’s where my head was too Don, I actually have a set of full extension heavy duty slides I bought to stare at and evaluate before final design. And I had given some thought to a setup that would roll up and away from the tray as well. Turns out my Weber 2400 is already at a good height if I mount high on the slideout so I was leaning towards the full extension slides. The nice setup posted above shows some good use of lower space for a second slide perpendicular to the direction of slide for a cooktop.

I am trying to decide between an interior brace that keeps the rear of the slide down and stable when all that weight is hanging out of the coach; or some telescoping legs like a camera tripod mounted to the front of the slide to provide the stability.

The physics is easier with the telescoping legs, but it then relies on not getting bumped. The foot would need to be large enough not to sink in soft soil/gravel.

A brace that keeps the back of the tray from riding up when all the weight is in the front takes a lot more work, but can’t get bumped while walking around.

- Richard
Old 04-11-2021, 05:02 PM   #8

Slide out BBQ tray

I did something similar to what RichieO has done except that mine is mounted on a second set of kitchen drawer slides to get the Weber Q1000 past the slide out floor above. I raised it up about 10" to get it at a better height to grill at. It's only the width of the grill so there is still plenty of full height storage on the main slide out tray. It is tall enough so that I can store the short propane bottles standing up and other grill related items in a box. A couple of brackets on either end secure the grill feet so that it doesn't move around the aluminum top while traveling but can quickly lifted off. I like the idea of some sort of support that would make it more stable. I think that a bracket on the side hinged door would be just what it needs.

Dave

2007 Revolution 40E
Sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After cleaning the soot and grease off my last camper from the side mounted stove it escapes me why you'd want to do that on purpose. When I grill I want to be far enough away so smoke doesn't end up in the RV.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:51 PM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile

I do not have any counter balance. The tray has 4 rollers on each side and rolls out approx. 54 inches. Everything is made out of aluminum so weight is minimal. The tray is rated for 400 pounds - don't come anywhere near that. Its far enough away from my motor home wall, if I get grease on motorhome I shouldn't be cooking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SLIDE OUT TRAY WITH DIMENSIONS.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	324677  
RichieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:08 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Very nice job, looks great!
Here's what I built in my Ellipse. Fridge below an extendable countertop, using the bay door itself as a sort of backslash.

Name:	20170420_182531_Richtone(HDR).jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	324678

Name:	20170420_182735_Richtone(HDR).jpeg
Views:	401
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	324679
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:18 PM   #12

Here is what I designed. I used 2 pairs of 500lb drawer glides riveted together nose to nose overlapping the small slide leg. That gives me about 50" outside the compartment. The grill is bolted to a box which is held down to the plywood with custom french type cleats so the grill won't slide off or tip over. The box can be lifted and rotated 90 or 180 degrees so I can grill facing the front, the back, or the side of the motorhome.

I had to trim off part of the grill side handles to get the grill to fit in the small compartment. There is no room to spare in this compartment. After this pic was taken I had the onboard propane tapped so we now have a 24' quick connect hose that we also use for the gas fire pit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3049.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	326542  
Old 04-27-2021, 09:04 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojaco View Post
Here is what I designed. I used 2 pairs of 500lb drawer glides riveted together nose to nose overlapping the small slide leg. That gives me about 50" outside the compartment. The grill is bolted to a box which is held down to the plywood with custom french type cleats so the grill won't slide off or tip over. The box can be lifted and rotated 90 or 180 degrees so I can grill facing the front, the back, or the side of the motorhome.

I had to trim off part of the grill side handles to get the grill to fit in the small compartment. There is no room to spare in this compartment. After this pic was taken I had the onboard propane tapped so we now have a 24' quick connect hose that we also use for the gas fire pit.
Hey that's pretty neat!
Could you give a little more detail on how the swivel mechanism works, and where did you get the slides?
Great job [emoji106]
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:16 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojaco View Post

I agree with Bill nicely done and I would be interested in seeing more detail about how you mounted the grill to the box and how the rotating box attaches to the double slides. Given the short length of the slide in the basement bay of the CS how did you attach to the floor? I had a CS3921 and the floor wasn't as robust as my current Ventana. Did you drill through the whole floor and put washers & sealant on the bottom to spread the load?

- Richard

Tags
slide, slideout