Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #1

Anyone switched from Spartan to Freightliner??

I've said to myself many times I would never switch but then again, I don't really know why not... My current ride is nice but I had to get Konis to make it right. The turning radius is great especially backing into a lot. I like my coach a lot but am looking at this brand new 2011 MA with FreightLiner frame, seems there's more storage. I might go for a test drive when I visit the dealer for repairs in two weeks.

Anyone have comments? Not much info on the frame in the '11 brochure, which frame is it? XC?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2011 Dutch Star with the Freightliner chassis,IFS, 60 degree turning
radius,no complains about the ride.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I have always been sheepish about saying this, but our experience with Freightliner has been better than with Spartan. We had a 2004 Dutch Star 40 with Spartan chassis and found it to be fine. But then when we bought our 2013 Dutch Star 4018 with Freightliner, we agreed that the ride was just noticeably and considerably better.

It is certainly possible that the difference we noted is attributable to two important factors: (1) newer model year with all the developments that have come to both FL and Spartan in nine years of production, and (2) tag axle on '13 DS v. no tag on '04 DS. But there is no question that we both noticed a significant difference in ride between our former Spartan 40 and our new Freightliner 40. The '13 drives like a dream in all conditions. We have been completely pleased with the smoothness, power and quiet ride thus far.

I know I'm not supposed to say any of this, but you asked and there it is!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a Spartan chassis under our 36 ft Rexhall. Ride sucked, wandered all over the road. Spartan tried to be helpful, but, nothing worked. We replaced Tires, shocks and had front and rear aligned to no avail. even installed trac bars on rear and steering stabilizer. Basic problem was the chassis wasn't meant to haul that much MH (over weight even b-fore loading. After weighing 4 cornors we decided to dump the Rexhall. Spartan has no way of knowing exactly what a MH Mfg will set on their chassis. We drove several other MH with Spartan chassis and they handled well. in our case we switched to a Damon / Thor 40 ft Tuscany. no comparison to overall improvement of the ride. Now feel like we are controlling the MH. Not the tail wagging the dog. One needs to look at the chassis weight issues and have a MH weighed before purchasing to see actual weigh. We will NOT make the same mistake again. safe travels,, ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our 2007 Kountry Star and 2008 Dutch Star both had Spartan Chassis and our 2011 Dutch Star has the Freightliner Chassis I really don't see much difference maybe a little better with the Freightliner.
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
We had a Spartan chassis under our 36 ft Rexhall. Ride sucked, wandered all over the road. Spartan tried to be helpful, but, nothing worked. We replaced Tires, shocks and had front and rear aligned to no avail. even installed trac bars on rear and steering stabilizer. Basic problem was the chassis wasn't meant to haul that much MH (over weight even b-fore loading. After weighing 4 cornors we decided to dump the Rexhall. Spartan has no way of knowing exactly what a MH Mfg will set on their chassis. We drove several other MH with Spartan chassis and they handled well. in our case we switched to a Damon / Thor 40 ft Tuscany. no comparison to overall improvement of the ride. Now feel like we are controlling the MH. Not the tail wagging the dog. One needs to look at the chassis weight issues and have a MH weighed before purchasing to see actual weigh. We will NOT make the same mistake again. safe travels,, ed
ed..... I don't know what year or model your Rexhall was, but I'm pretty confident your difficulties lay with Rexhall, not Spartan. I'm sorry you wound up spending so much time and money trying to fix a chassis that was simply being asked to carry too much weight in too long a box. I just did a quick scan of Rexhall ratings regarding highway performance and control. A large percentage of the 36-37 ft coaches they built from 2000 up to about 2010 were built on chasses that were simply too small. A few had a wheelbase that was just barely half the length of the coach. In cases like that, no amount of aftermarket accessories can salvage what is simply bad design. Sorry for your experience.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We just traded a 2011 Fleetwood Providance 42' with a Spartan chassis 450 cummins We now have a 2014 Mountain Aire same motor. Seem the FW had more
Power. Still breaking it in. More to come
jnowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe the gearing is different? Does one weigh more than the other one? safe travels..ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Historically, Freightliner chassis has been less expensive than Spartan. Given the Newmar move, I would think that you would ask Newmar to return that savings to you in a lower price, regardless of the relative merits of one versus the other.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
No exact same weight. Thanks Ed
jnowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #11

It's difficult to imagine that a Fleetwood Providence would way the same as a Mountain Aire. The latter has a lot more equipment, being a high line coach. Are you speaking of chassis GVWR or actual coach weight as built?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #12

I owned a ds and now I own a 2011 MA. Both are on Spartans. I do not understand why one is greater then the other. They do not manufacture any components of their product. All they do is assemble components. I have had great service with the spartan chassis. I do think freight liner has more service facilities throughout the country to provide better service.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #13

I have had both, Spartan for 1998, 2003 and 2006. Freightliner for 2011 and 2013. Spartan corrected and assisted with ALL issues, no questions. I have two issues right now with the Freightliner and am trying, with no avail, to get them corrected. The Newmar go to person in Gafney is GREAT, but that is not helping as much as a correction would. John
newmar owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmar owner View Post
I have had both, Spartan for 1998, 2003 and 2006. Freightliner for 2011 and 2013. Spartan corrected and assisted with ALL issues, no questions. I have two issues right now with the Freightliner and am trying, with no avail, to get them corrected. The Newmar go to person in Gafney is GREAT, but that is not helping as much as a correction would. John
You have quite a bit of experience with both, which frame did you prefer. And I realize that the 2011 an 13 probably drove better than the 98...

Tags
freightliner, spartan