Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Anyone Towing Late Model Ford Explorer 4x4

I am seriously looking at towing a '16 Ford Explorer 4x4. BUT the instructions in the Owners Manual require "REMOVING THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE."

I know there's adapters for the battery to facilitate this but I'm thinking it's kind of a pain???

Anyone towing a late model Explorer and can give me some advice???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Well mine is a 14 but I suspect the real reason for saying remove the negative battery cable is to keep the battery from going dead. On mine it said to start the engine every six hours but by that time the battery was already dead. Roadside assistance guy said to just keep calling Ford roadside assistance until they figured out what needed to be done. These things have way too many draws on the battery with the key in the first position. I ended up installing a charge line from my coach to the toad and have had no problem since. We towed an 08 for 6 years and never had a battery problem.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #3

I just towed my 2014 8k miles never disconnected the negative battery cable ran the battery dry many times. My advice just buy a good quality battery jumper, i make it part of my routine when i disconnect. Was my best tool I ever bought for my RV. Here is the jumper I bought Robot Check
nathan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In both of your Explorer's Owners Manuals did it state to remover the Negative Battery Cable?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:16 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I would just install a disconnect at the terminal.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We tow a 2015 Explorer Sport. The manual states to start the engine every 6 hours, but this is for the transmission. We do have a charge line so have never had an issue with the battery. We just place it in neutral and shut off the ignition. Never heard anything about disconnecting the battery.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
In both of your Explorer's Owners Manuals did it state to remover the Negative Battery Cable?
On mine no. Don't think they realized how much draw down there was at that time. The roadside assistance guy said he was seeing this problem a lot at that time.

Think you either need to install a battery disconnect or a charge line before considering towing a late model ford Explorer. Although the battery boost such as the "Jump-N-Carry" will get you started running your battery dead will decrease it's life cycle by a considerable amount each time it goes dead.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:11 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Just purchased a 2016 Colorado Z71 and the owners manual said the same thing, disconnect the negative battery cable.

I asked about this on the towing/toad forum and it was suggested that this is required to protect the new electric/power steering and not to prevent battery run down.

I haven't verified this (don't know where to confirm it) but if I end up towing it I will use a portable battery pack for my Patriot braking system and disconnect the negative battery cable.. It's under warranty and I don't want to cause any problems if I can help it.

Usually to prevent battery run down (in most owners manuals) it tells you to pull a certain fuse. My 2013 Edge can be towed a full day and the battery will still start the vehicle.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:56 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
According to the parts manager, the transmission part number is the same for the 2015 & 2016. This indicates there hasn't been any changes to the transmission.

I hesitate to do the battery disconnect as this causes all Memory Items to be lost (preset radio stations, Mirrors & seat, etc). Plus there's some issue with having to start the engine within 15 minutes of reattaching the battery cable. Sounds like a computer issue?

If the reason Ford changed the towing requirements was to solve the dead battery issue; that can be solved with a charging line from the MH. I do that currently on our 2010 Explorer and it works great!

The risk I take is loss of warranty if something fails and it's determined that I didn't follow the Towing Procedures correctly.

For those of you that are having a dead battery issue, consider installing a charge line. I got mine from BrakeBuddy. Cost about $25.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I'm a newbie and will be towing a 2015 explorer sport. When I shut off the engine in neutral the steering becomes extremely heavy (by hand). I know this is normal to a degree but it almost feels locked. I really don't want to damage the thing.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:47 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Just an update to my first post, on my 2916 Colorado, it has been confirmed by GM that you are required to disconnect the battery because of the electric power steering - nothing to do with not running the battery down.

Many newer vehicles are now using electric assisted or powered steering and I assume the manufacturers want it disconnected for a reason. There are some models where it is not required.
So if the manual for your model and your year, says disconnect the battery there is probably a valid reason.

Just be thankful it can be towed 4 down, there are fewer and fewer vehicles capable of this every year.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPNewbie View Post
I'm a newbie and will be towing a 2015 explorer sport. When I shut off the engine in neutral the steering becomes extremely heavy (by hand). I know this is normal to a degree but it almost feels locked. I really don't want to damage the thing.
With the vehicle running put ithe in neutral than press the start button once and then once more it should state in accessory mode on the dash your done wheel feels heavy but won't lock when in acc. Mode
nathan55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, towing