Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Anyone use the 3-yr Teflon finish over wax?

We have arranged for Independence to wax the Bay Star before we pick it up. They are asking if we would prefer them to put a Teflon finish instead, fully guaranteed for 3 years. Sounds great, cost is what 2 years of waxing would cost us. Anyone had experience with this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #2

Sounds like the old overpriced wax job scam that all motor vehicle dealers try to take advantage of!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:56 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would ask your dealer specifically what product will they use in either case. You should be able to search on that product and find reviews. If they cant give you the real product name ( not DuPont Teflon Car wax!!) than yes I agree this is suspicious. If the finish on your coach is older than 6 months, I would suggest a hand applied paint sealant over a carnauba wax. If all they intend to do is wipe the coach down with one of the many spray and wipe products ( Meguiars Quick Detailer) than I would suggest having a professional detailer, or yourself use a quality paint sealer. I personally like to use Rejex annually as the paint sealant and throughout the year I use Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All to tidy it up between washes.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:17 PM   #4

I have never seen a wax last 3 years.

I the interest of science, however, I would be willing to let them wax my coach. If in 3 years it's good, I will pay double what we agreed to 3 years prior.

They can put their money where their mouth is.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #5

Is this a new unit ? I thought Newmar stated in the owners manual to wait several months (6 ?) before waxing to allow the paint to cure better before waxing.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:35 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Another vote for Rejex paint sealant. Our coach is a 2008 and people would compliment us on how our coach looked brand new. We've used Rejex since 2010 on it.

Last spring we had our coach repainted as a part of re-siding, in the fall I applied Rejex, and again this summer. Bugs come off the invisible bra and front easily, and the finish looks great!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have some areas where the green paint is starting to look a little caulky. I was thinking of using Armoral Oxidation remover. Or is there something better to use. Was planning to wax it with a 3M Marine wax. Also thinking the 3M restorer product would do the trick. Any suggestions

TOM
2003Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:12 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I used almost nothing but Dry Wash N Guard on our '02 Dutch Star, after 13 years it still was fooling people who thought it was brand new. Haven't had a chance to do the Magna yet, just too much to do with the wife's cancer right now. Was going to start over last weekend but it rained most of the time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
We have arranged for Independence to wax the Bay Star before we pick it up. They are asking if we would prefer them to put a Teflon finish instead, fully guaranteed for 3 years. Sounds great, cost is what 2 years of waxing would cost us. Anyone had experience with this?
I have no experience with a Teflon finish, however I have purchased two Newmars from Independence and had them washed and waxed there several times. They have a full time detail team and they are pretty good. Talk to Wendall, he's the boss and will work with you on price for a conventional wax job. If you're unhappy for any reason, he'll make it right.

Wax is a better way to go in my opinion.
TwoCorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Just googled Teflon coating and it sounds like once you put it on then do not wash it with soap and water as it will come off. Not sure if that is true with car wash soaps that are much more gentle to wax and sealants. Dish soap will also tend to strip wax and sealants from the paint.
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #11

I have a product called Xzilon applied on my 2 black cars, it has been on my 370z since 2010. Not one water spot, love bugs do not hurt it, road grease/grim nada! The 370z is a nightmare because it has a big painted nose and sits very low to the ground, so it collects everything. Xzilon can be a little pricey, but well worth it and if applied by a certified dealer Xzilon back's the product up.
Flynryan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #12

Snake Oil ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
How do you feel about the coating that Independence applied now that you have it Patti?

I am purchasing a 2008 Mountain Aire from Independence and they are asking me if I would like to purchase the same thing. $1400 with a 3 year guarantee. I asked for a brochure so I could do my due diligence. I have not received that yet. And I have never heard of anything that will actually do what they are claiming. However, I am a science buff as well. I would love to know what it is and apply it to everything - if it works!

I am considering asking Wendall to apply Rejex instead after reading the posts here.

If not that, then one coat of Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and one coat of Meguiar's Ultimate liquid wax.
BruceSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #13

I use Starbrite boat wax with Teflon on my Motorhome . They make a complete line of products at most boat supply stores.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #14

Back in November while we were at Independence RV, Wendell told us about the paint sealant. My first thought was that it may be hoopla so... We have never purchased a "paint sealant" before and were skeptical... but after extended discussions with Wendell and with Ray the General Manager, we decided to purchase it. The product name is Perma Plate (Permaplate | Dealer Applied Automotive Protection Programs) The product is a paint sealant and protector and you also receive a spare bottle of sealer and wash. So far we are pleased with the product. We have had several comments from folks in and outside of RV parks about the shine. We have only traveled about 1500 miles with it since November but I haven't had to wash it yet. (other than clean the bugs off the front end.)