Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #1

Anyone using a small travel router?

I know this is probably best asked in the technology forum, but sometimes the replies there are a little complicated. I'm thinking of buying a small travel router to take on RV trips. As I envision how it works, the perfect travel router would connect to the campground wifi, and then allow me and DW to use our various devices on our own network without entering those complicated passwords over and over. It would also "boost" the campground signal giving us a better connection. And finally, it might even allow a device like Apple TV to be used for TV streaming. And finally, I want it small for packing--not something that has to be hardwired in through the roof. Am I dreaming here or is this type of little router out there?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 05:22 PM   #2

It depends on you technical capabilities are. You can set up the mikrotik rb951-2n in bridge mode with an external antenna. It has 5 ethernet ports and there is a version with gig ports. Since I doubt that you will find a park that will give you more than 100mbs the low end would be fine. Wifi ranger is the same router with a more polished user interface. Of course there is a cost for the wifi ranger too. I am not sure if they provide the antenna. You can also use the ubiquiti network equipment and achieve the same. Again the wifi ranger mention above also OEM and adds a polished user interface. I have been using and configuring those devices from the OEMs as a wisp provider so I pretty much don't need the polished user interface. The only thing I am cautionous on is don't use max to power in a camp ground. Be kind to thers. If you at the end of a campground the use enough to reach the Rx site on the other end. If you are technical you will understand.

-Brian
cowrv39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know there are Wi-Fi "Extenders" but I do not know of any device that works like you describe.. Even if that is exactly how I do it.

What I have:

Park ))) ((( Linksys WGA-54G========Home Router.

Any home router wil work (Oh the ))) ((( signifies radio signals)

I modified the Linksys to make it directional and high gain (long range) NOTE: the mode is 100 percent EXTERNAL and does NOT require opening the unit.. The Router thinks it is a cable modem.

To use it you do have to understand networking at a minimum of "Intermittent" level, a beginner likely can not use my set up.

I have to be able to manually feed the router an IP address, and change it back, Understand all of that and even with all that sometimes it refuses to work. I really need an older router.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good reading I will learn
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #5

I was thinking of something like this:
Netgear Trek PR2000 Travel Router and Range Extender Networking specs

I've wondered if anyone had a favorable experience using one of the small compact routers now available.....
Old 07-07-2014, 08:17 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadweary View Post
I know this is probably best asked in the technology forum, but sometimes the replies there are a little complicated. I'm thinking of buying a small travel router to take on RV trips. As I envision how it works, the perfect travel router would connect to the campground wifi, and then allow me and DW to use our various devices on our own network without entering those complicated passwords over and over. It would also "boost" the campground signal giving us a better connection. And finally, it might even allow a device like Apple TV to be used for TV streaming. And finally, I want it small for packing--not something that has to be hardwired in through the roof. Am I dreaming here or is this type of little router out there?
Actually there are a couple products available to do just what you are asking for, right up until you want it portable. The biggest factor in improving or boosting any wifi signal is getting an antenna up above the roof and not trapped behind the RV walls. This makes portability possible but less practical.

The WiFI Ranger MobileTi is capable of being used as a "portable", and fulfills the points in your wish list.

There is a not too technical blog article about the WiFI Rangers here which helps explain what they do , and how it benefits the user, without going so far in depth that you get bored reading....

There are other WiFi Ranger products which work well (at a lower cost), but require permanent installation.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #7

I've read about the WiFi Ranger MobileTi in the past and it looks like a quality product. The idea of running cables through the roof scares me but it probably shouldn't. I would imagine there are service people available to do this. This is an expensive gizmo but probably worth it to solve problems with poor internet connections. I'm going to try one of the inexpensive travel routers first and see if they're useful. Thanks for the links!
Old 07-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadweary View Post
I've read about the WiFi Ranger MobileTi in the past and it looks like a quality product. The idea of running cables through the roof scares me but it probably shouldn't. I would imagine there are service people available to do this. This is an expensive gizmo but probably worth it to solve problems with poor internet connections. I'm going to try one of the inexpensive travel routers first and see if they're useful. Thanks for the links!
You're welcome for the links... I hope that helped explain how these products can help.

A couple of points in regard to the MobileTi.

1. The price shown is the minimum advertised price I am allowed to
display. Call me for discounts.

2. The Mobile Ti comes with a LIFETIME limited warranty. This is a top of the line and very well built unit. What may not be so readily noticed is the extremely easy user interface. A lot of effort has been put into improving the WiFI Ranger products to make them so easy to use.

The main reason I pointed you to the MobileTi, is that you could clamp the unit to your ladder and bring the cable in through another spot (floor or cabinet) rather than making a hole in the roof. You could also use it as a temporary device and bring the cable in a window or vent, and remove it to travel.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm Thinking....

I do not mean this in a negative way, so please do not take it as such. I have been in the IT industry for longer than I care to admit and this is based on real life experience with non-technical computer users.

If you have trouble entering those complex passwords and find the replies in the technology section to be daunting you're going to find that configuring a router at every new place you go to be very complex. In addition, on networks that use a re-directed webpage as the logon screen it might not even work.

An antenna/amplifier is not going to make things magically work better in most campgounds. The problem is most often one of available bandwidth (the size of the pipe) rather than signal strength (the water pressure). Most campground wifi is seriously slow because there are so many people using it. Especially those who abuse it by streaming video. i.e. Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc.

We don't even bother with most campground wifi and set up a 4G hotspot on an iPad. We also have a T-Mobile stand alone hotspot that we don't use anymore due to poor coverage. It was cheap when it worked: 17.50 a month.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #10

Thanks again for the info. You have a nice website (I signed up for your newsletter!)
Gary
Old 07-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #11

We don't even bother with most campground wifi and set up a 4G hotspot on an iPad. We also have a T-Mobile stand alone hotspot that we don't use anymore due to poor coverage. It was cheap when it worked: 17.50 a month.[/QUOTE]

I often use my Verizon hotspot when I travel but have to be cautious about exceeding my monthly data limits.

No offense taken regarding router setup. I can usually work through tech issues with a little google help, I just prefer simple solutions when available. The wifi ranger may be the answer--I'll look over in the tech forum for some testimonials.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a kit that might be of interest

Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs

I built my own setup with 2 routers. 1 is a repeater that connects to the camp and the other is my internal network for streaming movies from my HP Slate tablet.

The Camp router will have an external antenna once I get it installed on the retractable TV antenna. Will have the cable run by an RV installer (don't want to mess up the roof).
rdrv831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #13

I've heard good things about Jefa in the past and the setup looks interesting. Good idea to mount it to the TV antenna.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I do not mean this in a negative way, so please do not take it as such...An antenna/amplifier is not going to make things magically work better in most campgounds. The problem is most often one of available bandwidth (the size of the pipe) rather than signal strength (the water pressure). Most campground wifi is seriously slow because there are so many people using it. Especially those who abuse it by streaming video. i.e. Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc.

We don't even bother with most campground wifi and set up a 4G hotspot on an iPad. We also have a T-Mobile stand alone hotspot that we don't use anymore due to poor coverage. It was cheap when it worked: 17.50 a month.

And I am NOT an IT Tech, but must say from experience that ALL the campgrounds I have ever visited just did not have the bandwidth to support any of the television streaming systems we have (Huku, Netflix, Time-Warner TWC App, etc.).

And I have tried it by carrying the laptop to the CG office where the WiFi antenna was located. Maybe it could work if the CG was empty, but then you wouldn't need the router in your rig.

We use a cellular Hot-Spot for the best results...but rely on Dish.

It may come someday, just not yet.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel