Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Anything else I should get done (at my expense) before I pick up the new RV?

We are paying the dealer to have our (well, it will be ours end of next week!) new to us 2014 Bay Star 3308 fully waxed and both surge protector and TPMS installed, since we do not have ready access to a Newmar dealer where we live. Anything else we should consider having done to make our lives easier while the coach has easy access to their service department? Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Patti Brown,
The coach will not come with any utility needs. Consider:
1. 1/2" diameter drinking quality water hose. 2 hoses for a total of about 25' is good.
2. Sewer hose + connections. (both ends) 2 hoses for about 20' of hose is good.
3. Fresh water PSI regulator.

Walmart Supercenter or a CW along the way should have anything else you need.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Edit the previous post. Get a 5/8" diameter fresh water hose. Sorry about the error.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I would suggest a 25' and a 15' water hose. I started with one 25', and I was 10' short at one cg. I now carry 5/15/25.

Even though I had 20' of sewer hose, at the end of one weekend I needed to back the coach up 15' to get it connected. I had to back off the pad to get connected.

Good Luck with the new to you coach.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:41 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Congrats on the new motorhome.

I would suggest having Max-Air vent covers installed on all vents if the new MH does not already have them. This allows you to leave vents open in inclement weather and when traveling down the road. I've had them on all my RVs for the past 20 years and just had them installed on my new-to-me 2014 Ventana LE 3436.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #6

Have a 4 corner weigh done -- that will allow you to properly inflate your tires.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #7

Patti,

One thing to make sure of is that you have a RV assistance membership. AAA, Good Sam, or some type of roadside assistance. Even new coaches need help some time.

As far as the water line get one of the hoses with the easy connector that is specifically made for drinking water. I think most of those are white colored. Garden hoses may impart a taste to the water you do not like. We have tried a number of brands of sewer hoses and I have found the red ones are very reliable. They are made by Valerta. I have one of the short clear connectors too so I can see what is going on inside the hose.

After costing me a lot of money to fix damage I am very very picky about getting a good water pressure regulator. I will never ever again use a cheap one. I will only use the ones that have a gauge on them so I can see the pressure going into the coach. Coaches should have no more than 45 pounds of pressure going into them. Many times water pressure in a park is double that. 5 seconds of 100lbs of pressure can burst your lines is several places. I found out the hard way. I will only use from now on watts brand pressure regulators that have a gauge. If you do not have a gauge the work around is to fill your water tank and just use the pump for water.

I really like actual GPS systems for navigation and not cell phones. Our GPS you can program in the size and weight of your RV and it will direct you around bridges too low. It also tells me what lane to get in in advance. Ours is made by Garmin. There are several brands.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:49 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Have a 4 corner weigh done -- that will allow you to properly inflate your tires.
Where do you get that done?
Old 09-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #9

Patti also if not mentioned,we carry a plug converter 30 to 50 amps just
in case the campground is full of one or the other. Congrats on the coach.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Patti Brown,
purrin along's post mentions an electric shore core plug adapter. Before making this purchase, make sure you knw what is needed. The Newmar brochure mentions your coach is 30 AMP service. I've never seen a CG that does not have 30 AMP service at the pedestal. However, it is possible. If what I have said is true, and only 50 AMP service is available, you will need a 50 AMP (male plug) to 30 AMP (female receptacle) adapter. This would allow you to connect to the CG shore power. An example of this adapter is at 30 Amp RV Female to 50 Amp 125/250V RV Male Pigtail Adapter with Pull Handles - Furrion IP3154R-SB - Electrical Adapters - Camping World
Old 09-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Great advice. I dont hook up to water. In fact I have cut out that part of my system during a leaking issue. B ut I can see the desire for a good regulator.

As for the corner weigh in.. would you use this info to calculate all different tire pressures?
I am leaning so much on IRV but I am worried I will get the 4' bigger disease?
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Patti Brown,
Getting the 4 corners weighed is easier said than done. Some large dealers have this capability. Other than the dealer, large rallies hosted by GS, FMCA or NKK may have a vendor doing the weighing. For me, this may not be necessary for the trip back to Texas. Consider taking the dealer recommendation on tire PSI for this single trip. Once home, fill the coach like you would to travel in it. It is important to have all the weight you normally carry in the coach. Fill the propane, fresh water and gas tank. Look in the yellow pages for moving companies, or scrap metal yards. Find one that will weigh your coach (for a fee). This weight will be by axle, not four corner. However, and axle weight is better than nothing. Now you can adjust your tire PSI to the axle weight. Use the chart on the tire manufacturer's web site.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi elkski,
After getting a 4 corner weigh, one would set the PSI for all tires on an axle to the same PSI. The PSI would be for the side of the axle carrying the heaviest load. Use the tire manufacturer's web site to get the PSI chart.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #14
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Patti Brown,
Getting the 4 corners weighed is easier said than done. Some large dealers have this capability. Other than the dealer, large rallies hosted by GS, FMCA or NKK may have a vendor doing the weighing. For me, this may not be necessary for the trip back to Texas. Consider taking the dealer recommendation on tire PSI for this single trip. Once home, fill the coach like you would to travel in it. It is important to have all the weight you normally carry in the coach. Fill the propane, fresh water and gas tank. Look in the yellow pages for moving companies, or scrap metal yards. Find one that will weigh your coach (for a fee). This weight will be by axle, not four corner. However, and axle weight is better than nothing. Now you can adjust your tire PSI to the axle weight. Use the chart on the tire manufacturer's web site.

Unless you're severely out of balance, a standard CAT scale axle weigh will be fine to determine your tire pressures. I've done that on all of my MH's, until I could find a corner weigh opportunity. Just add 5% to the recommended pressure and you'll be good to go.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote