Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #1

OK I have to post the positive as well as the negative.
After struggling for a year with refrigerator temps on my model 1200 Norcold and even calling my unit a No-cold. All is well in refrigerator land for me. I have had to lower my temp settings to keep it above freezing. Right now the fridge is setting on 6 and a fridge temp of 33.
<LI> I tried moving my thermister right,left, up, down with no consistent improvement.
<LI> I tried 2 battery powered fans inside the fridge.
<LI> I replaced the cooling fan temperature switch with marginal results. My cooling fans still did not run enough IMO.
<LI>The answer, I bypassed the fan temperature switch and now have a simple on/off switch. Now the Norcold fans run when I want them to. We don't do much boon docking, so that will not be much of a factor. I still may look at some other type of thermostat control
Thanks for the ideas IRV2 members.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #2

OK I have to post the positive as well as the negative.
After struggling for a year with refrigerator temps on my model 1200 Norcold and even calling my unit a No-cold. All is well in refrigerator land for me. I have had to lower my temp settings to keep it above freezing. Right now the fridge is setting on 6 and a fridge temp of 33.
<LI> I tried moving my thermister right,left, up, down with no consistent improvement.
<LI> I tried 2 battery powered fans inside the fridge.
<LI> I replaced the cooling fan temperature switch with marginal results. My cooling fans still did not run enough IMO.
<LI>The answer, I bypassed the fan temperature switch and now have a simple on/off switch. Now the Norcold fans run when I want them to. We don't do much boon docking, so that will not be much of a factor. I still may look at some other type of thermostat control
Thanks for the ideas IRV2 members.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #3

I use an a/c powered non temp controlled pancake fan that runs all the time I am plugged in and the d/c temp controlled fan that came with the unit.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Jay,
I also bypassed the temp control on the fans I installed. The fans now run the same as yours, only when we want them to and as for as long as we want them to.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #5

Jay
I had a Norcold 1200 It did cool OK as long as it was not above 85'F and the Fridge side was not in the durect sunlight.

The Fans did run BUT very little.

I had a New Norcold 1210 installed last month in Nappanee under warranty(for several unrepaiable reasons) The 1200 has the fans mounted very low and they are not too big.

The 1210 has much larger fans which are mounted higher near the roof vent. These fans run 'Most' of the time. The cooling has been very good, Before we left Nappanee it was 90' and I moved around to keep the sun on the Fridge!!! No problem maintaining 38-39 and over night it would go down to 35'

Rick
Old 09-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #6

Great idea. Where did ya mount said switch?
Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #7

Lee C, for now it is behind the outside fridge access cover. I just could not drill any holes on the inside, maybe later.
I used the same hot wire that the factory temp switch used. The fans only run when the fridge is powered up.
I must confess I actually got the idea from Gary KD