Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #1

Are coaches really selling that fast?

I've been researching and shopping for over 6 months. Settled on a DS between 2013-2016. More than 3/4's of the coaches on RVtrader are still for sale after that 6 month period. What gives?
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2020, 07:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
I've been researching and shopping for over 6 months. Settled on a DS between 2013-2016. More than 3/4's of the coaches on RVtrader are still for sale after that 6 month period. What gives?
This us just a thought but my guess is that either they're either overpriced or it's easier to get financing on a new(er) unit through the dealer.

The last new truck I purchased in 2016 was not much more than a "gently used" two or three year old pickup but once you ran the numbers with dealer incentives, rebates, etc. there just wasn't much difference in price at all plus you could get a lower interest rate on a new vehicle vs a used one.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:49 PM   #3

Quote:
I don't pay much attention to towables but I know they're selling well. Most first time buyers don't start with a diesel pusher, and because the price of entry with DPs is considerable, those may be selling later, rather than sooner.

That said, if a unit has been on RVtrader or other site for 6 months, there are 3 general possibilities: 1) It's sold and the seller didn't remove the listing; 2) it's over priced for the condition, location or other factor; 3) previous offers were withdrawn after the unit was inspected.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:11 PM   #4

I drive by a RV dealer in Manteca, CA twice a week. Can report that their normal inventory of a few hundred RVs is down to less than 70.

They are primarily out of all low-cost towables. The more expensive trailers, fivers, DPs and Super C are are available. Believe many of the newbies have purchased on price and new.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:59 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My local Newmar dealer ran out of used and new RV's last month. He's just now getting in some new units and apparently they're going fast.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:07 PM   #6

Two dealerships near me, they only sell towables but their overflow lots are both empty. I normally get several emails from them in August for their end of summer sale. This year there was no sale, apparently because inventory was so low.

I have been telling friends.. Look forward to the resale market in 2022 after all these newbies figure out that RVing requires effort.

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:34 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Two dealerships near me, they only sell towables but their overflow lots are both empty. I normally get several emails from them in August for their end of summer sale. This year there was no sale, apparently because inventory was so low.

I have been telling friends.. Look forward to the resale market in 2022 after all these newbies figure out that RVing requires effort.
^^^This^^^ Too bad Illl have a 2020 Gasser to sell to take advantage of the lightly used DP on the market in a few years.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:35 PM   #8

All great reasoning. I dont feel they're overpriced. And very clean. Great position to be in. Thanks for your replies. I'm crossing my fingers to update my signature soon
Old 09-12-2020, 06:03 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Are you sure they are still for sale? I've followed up on several used Newmars on RVtrader and they were all sold or sale pending. The dealer just had not updated the RVtrader listing.

The ones listed for more than they paid for it 3+years ago are still for sale.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
Are you sure they are still for sale? I've followed up on several used Newmars on RVtrader and they were all sold or sale pending. The dealer just had not updated the RVtrader listing.

The ones listed for more than they paid for it 3+years ago are still for sale.
Not sure. I have looked at a few in Florida. Private sellers and a couple have stayed in touch to let me know they are still available.

Do you think it would be worth my while to wait a year or so for better pricing? Although I am dying to get out there.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:47 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Not sure. I have looked at a few in Florida. Private sellers and a couple have stayed in touch to let me know they are still available.

Do you think it would be worth my while to wait a year or so for better pricing? Although I am dying to get out there.
My advice on that point depends in part on your age. If you are like me, the number of years remaining are dwindling.

I wouldn’t bet on better pricing in a year. The effects of the virus are going to hang around for quite a while I’m afraid. Even when restrictions are lifted, a great many are going to be reluctant to return to business as usual.

That’s my opinion. Worth about what you pay for it.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
My advice on that point depends in part on your age. If you are like me, the number of years remaining are dwindling.

I wouldn’t bet on better pricing in a year. The effects of the virus are going to hang around for quite a while I’m afraid. Even when restrictions are lifted, a great many are going to be reluctant to return to business as usual.

That’s my opinion. Worth about what you pay for it.
My exact answer, life events may never allow you to fill your dream if you wait for better price, all my travels are now over age being a big factor but my wife and I had many adventures and coach's for 35 years.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:12 PM   #13

From talking to folks in the business in Indiana, they say TT it’s going fast he said if you place an order “today” (end of August) You get it by May, the high end units sales are comparable to last years sales numbers

Zzotte
Old 09-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #14

I purchased our 2020 Winnie Horizon on the Friday after the country closed in March.
We walked away from the deal the weekend before.
They called me that Friday night at 7pm and took my offer with my trade. They wanted the money wired the next week. So I sent the money on Monday and got it on a Tuesday.
I’m glad I did. Seems to be a lucky deal.

When I was looking there were (30) 2020 Horizon 42 Q on RV trader, there is only 7 left. There are 3 or 4 leftover 2019s

You probably can get the 2019s for a good deal, except Campingworld has most of them.

I don’t think the RV sales of Diesels are as high flying as the TT or Class Bs. But last year 2019, Class A sales were down 19% and going lower. The virus definitely picked up sales and lowered the discounts
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell