Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2020, 10:27 AM   #1

Are they Mad? 1.3 Million?

Have they gone nuts? Starting price of a 2021 King Aire is 1.3 million? You can get a great used Prevost or Newell for that.

https://www.newmarcorp.com/luxury-mo...hes/king-aire/
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2020, 10:32 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB218NYC View Post
Have they gone nuts? Starting price of a 2021 King Aire is 1.3 million? You can get a great used Prevost or Newell for that.

That'll buy a nice waterfront home in my neck of the woods, and leave a few hundred thousand in the bank...crazy.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Do you know what I heard someone say once? I don't want a toilet that someone else crapped in

I kid you not, there are people that will pay $200-400K more just to be the first owner.....Good for them, if it wasn't for these guys the rest of us wouldn't be able to buy a "Like New" coach for 1/2 price in a few years
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB218NYC View Post

Yeah.....and a new Prevost will cost you over two million. It's all relative, there are people camping in Class A gassers thinking the the DP crowd is crazy, people in trailers who think the Class A gasser crowd is crazy, people in tents who think the trailer crowd is crazy.....seeing a pattern?

People shouldn't worry about what other people spend, it's none of your business. If they worked hard for it and its their dream, who are you/we to judge? I can't afford a King Aire, but I actually admire someone who has the where with all to buy a nice coach like that, because I know they worked harder and made better financial decisions then I did. Good for them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:27 AM   #5

So I have never bought nor do I plan on buying a new RV. But if the conventional wisdom on this site holds true and you should expect a 35% discount or better, wouldn’t that make it a $845,000 coach. Still a lot but a far cry from 1.3 mill.
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2009 Lexus GX Toad
MarylandRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are they mad?

Yes. Mad about money.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Yeah.....and a new Prevost will cost you over two million. It's all relative, there are people camping in Class A gassers thinking the the DP crowd is crazy, people in trailers who think the Class A gasser crowd is crazy, people in tents who think the trailer crowd is crazy.....seeing a pattern?

People shouldn't worry about what other people spend, it's none of your business. If they worked hard for it and its their dream, who are you/we to judge? I can't afford a King Aire, but I actually admire someone who has the where with all to buy a nice coach like that, because I know they worked harder and made better financial decisions then I did. Good for them.
True and Well said !
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Do you know what I heard someone say once? I don't want a toilet that someone else crapped in

I kid you not, there are people that will pay $200-400K more just to be the first owner.....Good for them, if it wasn't for these guys the rest of us wouldn't be able to buy a "Like New" coach for 1/2 price in a few years
I know of a couple who would only buy new. The wife said she would not sleep in a bed someone else has already slepped in. Paid $350,000 or so for a new Tiffin Bus. I bought slightly used (only 5,600 miles) and saved about $100,000. I bought a new mattress for $550.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:45 PM   #9

When we first bought the toyhauler, people just knew we had spent over 90K on them. No where close.

We've camped in campgrounds pulling a tent trailer behind the motorcycle. Folks in "real RVs" watched as our 63"x43" box kept unfolding and the top goes up. The table and chairs were setup, popup setup and anchored, grill set on the picnic table. We used the campground showers and facilities.

From "camping" with just a ranger roll on the motorcycle in the 1980s, to a 33ft apartment on wheels, we do have to laugh at ourselves!

But for that much money, I'd be retired and traveling to Ireland for golf over the summer.

I do have friends that can, and have, done a cash transfer for a new rig like that. We camp right beside them and we drink PBR together!
Old 10-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #10

If we had the wealth to do it, we'd buy a Newell and throw rocks at the Prevosts.

No comparison, in my opinion.

That said, we are VERY happy with our Ventana! It's everything we need, and we own it.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:38 PM   #11

It truly is all relative....

I couldn't find an actual "camping" picture... but back in 1983, while on an extended vacation out West on my Harley... I'd spend a night in a very cheap motel, then sleep on the ground for 2 or three nights, then back to a cheap motel..

It was a great, and cheap, trip... My favorite camp site was on a concrete table, next to my bike, at a freeway rest stop... Nice to have "bathrooms" available..

But now... it's my Class A, or a hotel... no more tents, sleeping bags, or rest stop tables for me.... But I used to see van conversions and think, "What a waste of money.. But that would be the life!!"

Here's my old camping transportation, pic taken by my riding partner.... note the total lack of basement storage..!

Old 10-22-2020, 03:52 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - I'm old enough to remember when a well built class C was a thousand dollars a foot and a class A ran a bit more. Repair techs were upwards of $35/ hour. So it's all relative. Twenty years from now people will say "That King Aire was only 1.3 million back then? What a bargain."

Tom
Old 10-22-2020, 05:30 PM   #13

I am on my 6th motorhome, and have always bought new. I get tired of people bragging about how much they saved buying used, and anybody buying new are just fools and suckers.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:33 PM   #14

There are lots of creative people out there as well. One friend bought his Prevost as a second home and is depreciating interest, have another friend who bought his through his company and listed as equipment. Through bonus depreciation he save additional 34% because he wrote that off on taxes.........

Moral of the story, always more to the story. Be proud/grateful for what you have, be proud for what others have.
aguyintx is offline   Reply With Quote