Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2019, 05:24 AM   #1

At What Point Do You Start to Take Anti-Freezing Measures

My wife and I have our last trip of the year scheduled for the middle of November. We will be going to Lancaster PA. At this point I have no idea what the weather will be like. I am assuming daytime highs in the upper 40s to low 50's and maybe evening temps around the low 30s. I know that between the heat pumps and the furnace, we will be good to go, on keeping warm. It has always been my belief that for temps to cause you a problem, they need to be below freezing for a significant amount of time. A few hours at say 25 - 30 wouldn't be enough to cause any issues.

I can do things like turn the heat pads on under the tanks, or maybe leave the cabinet doors open so that warmer air can circulate under the sinks. Is that enough, and at what point do you start to think about that and other measures?
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2019, 05:31 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BPoland,
The only additional thing I did was run a 120 AC line to the utility bay. Place a small heater in the bay, The heater is set to low. I have a remote thermostat so know what the temp is. Even when the temp is in the 20s for an extended period of time the utility bay remains in the low 40s.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:43 AM   #3

Assuming your RV has insulated baggage compartments, it is designed for you to use the rig through the winter. So, you really don't have to do anything as long as you keep it heated for your comfort.

As far as time to freeze...my first lesson on that was as a 4 year old watching the delivered milk jugs that weren't taken in first thing in the morning that were cracked from having just frozen within a few hours of cold. If water gets below freezing it freezes. It expands when it freezes and it cracks the container it's in (plumbing). But your plumbing is in a heated space...so no worries.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #4

We had 27F last night in North Dakota and the only precautions we took was to fill the fresh water tank and disconnect the city hose water line. Next Tue, the temp is drop down to 20F at night and I will plug in a 100W light bulb next to the water pump and tank. We will also put reflex in some windows and leave a space heater on low all night. We haven't needed to use the RV furnace in the last 4 years.
Another benefit of leaving our waste tank valves open, I don't have to be concerned about the empty tanks freezing up. The waste passes through before it cools.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:24 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We have made an annual December trip to the Hershey, PA area the past two years to visit friends for the holidays in our Bay Star. Like Gary, I run a small space heater (Honeywell Heat Bud) in the wet bay plugged into a thermocube. It kicks on at 35 degrees and off at 45 degrees. If it is going to be really cold, I run a second heater in the bay in front of the wet bay since that is where our water pump is located.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Another benefit of leaving our waste tank valves open, I don't have to be concerned about the empty tanks freezing up. The waste passes through before it cools.
If your sewage tank is empty, why do you leave the valve open? I've thought about this even in warmer weather to allow any moisture to evaporate and 'air out' the tank but not sure if it's really necessary.
mvintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your living in your coach with the heat on your fine been in temps at 1* or less and winds at Newmar factory in Jan& Feb with no problems.
The heater heats the tank area's and wet bay if camping or traveling in the winter months place a insulating blanket on floor of wet bay for added protection of water bay much of your plumbing is in the insulated ceilings of compartments.
Never use any other heat source in lower compartments and traveled many miles in winter months.
For more on winter travels and getting ready to travel during winter months or even camping the winterizing threads in this sticky link will clue you in to cold weather travels, Newmar coach's are well insulated for winter and hot summer cooling.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi BPoland,
The only additional thing I did was run a 120 AC line to the utility bay. Place a small heater in the bay, The heater is set to low. I have a remote thermostat so know what the temp is. Even when the temp is in the 20s for an extended period of time the utility bay remains in the low 40s.
Even a lightbulb -- if you can still find one. I heated our 10' x 12' well shed for years and years with a pair of 60 watt bulbs. I used two just in case one burned out, but one would keep it well above freezing.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you owned a Newmar that would not be necessary.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Last I knew, Baystar was a Newmar......
Old 10-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #11

You're correct in that a few hours of below freezing won't matter. Say it starts in at midnight and begins to warm up at 8am, it's not going to hurt anything. We've done that many nights.

The only thing is not to leave the dump hose out as they crack easily; especially if you pack up in the morning. Same for the water hose. Fill your tank and work off it.

We sometimes left the sink and vanity cabinet doors open during the night to keep the plumbing warmer from the room heat.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar3778 View Post
I'm sure 007 was referring to the ACE owner's comments. He knows more about Newmars and the different models than most Newmar owners do.

Thanks all, for the responses. It pretty much puts my mind at ease. Usually by this time, the coach is buried in the back of the warehouse hibernating for the winter.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi BPoland,
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
Even a lightbulb -- if you can still find one. I heated our 10' x 12' well shed for years and years with a pair of 60 watt bulbs. I used two just in case one burned out, but one would keep it well above freezing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar3778 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
I'm sure 007 was referring to the ACE owner's comments. He knows more about Newmars and the different models than most Newmar owners do.

Thanks all, for the responses. It pretty much puts my mind at ease. Usually by this time, the coach is buried in the back of the warehouse hibernating for the winter.
I was just responding to GaryKD's that sometimes a simple lightbulb will work as a small heater.

Dang! I can't stay out of trouble.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #14

All you need is a light for a heat source.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank light.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	264703  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote