RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #1

Attempting to access slide-out motor under bed

I'm attempting to get to the bedroom slide-out motor on my 2015 4018 Dutch Star which I understand is done so under the bed. But when I raise the bed I can't tell if the whole floor under the be bed has to be removed or if just one side on either side of the board dividing the area in half. The side next to the rear bath looks like the air bed pump or control is under the head of the bed and could be a problem when removing the floor.

Seems odd Newmar would make this motor so hard to reach when all the others are out in the open in the different storage compartments.

Any advice or direction from anyone who has done this project would be very helpful.

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2016, 09:39 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You sure do have problems.
One picture and a second picture.
Found in the QT's.
What is the problem?

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:43 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
The side next to the rear bath looks like the air bed pump or control is under the head of the bed and could be a problem when removing the floor.

Seems odd Newmar would make this motor so hard to reach when all the others are out in the open in the different storage compartments.
Just tightened the bolts on my bed slide motor and it is under the right side panel (closest to rear bath). The air bed pump is on that side as well, requiring a little more contortion to get under there to tighten the motor bolts.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:49 AM   #4

Don't know if my 4366 is the same but it's quite easy to access on mine. Once the bed is raised the storage floor comes up with two screws and there is perfect access. If you are flexible enough I'm not sure you can't access the slide motor through the floor gap under the bed also. I assume you are checking for loose fasteners?
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #5

Thanks for reminding me about this. We had our coach at Newmar back in September for numerous repairs and I asked them to Locktite the electric slide motors. The got the kitchen slide, but when I asked the tech if he did the bedroom he truthfully told me he forgot about it. So, I just tightened all four of the bedroom motor bolts; they were all at least two turns loose.

The access is on the right hand side of the bed frame (lift your mattress platform). You will see a round cutout with a square head screw next to it. Remove that panel. The other panel is held in place on the opposite side with another screw, remove that one and prop panel up (my air pump for mattress was on top of that panel). You will then see the motor towards the back left. You'll be able to access the bolts to either locktite them or use one of the swedish lock washers (I ordered them from Grainger).

Ficodek - check yours if they didn't do it for you at Independence.

Best,

Mark Selisker
2016 Dutchstar 4018
marky mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #6

Thanks Mark, that's great explanation. I had seen the round cut out and saw a screw practically buried in the material right next to the center board and figured there were probably many others all around the floor panel. If I understood your explanation that was the only screw that needs to be removed?
Old 12-06-2016, 09:51 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
My 08 has three compartments under the bed. Left and right are storage and Lo and behold lift the centre plywood lid and there is the slide mechanism. Haven't done the bedroom ones yet but both front slides needed tightening. Not too bad but still loose.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:27 AM   #8

There is a similar screw for the other panel, but it is on the left, next to the partition that runs down the middle. It is also almost invisible, as it is countersunk, although probably not on purpose. Those are the only two screws that need to be removed to remove the panels.
marky mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:39 AM   #9

FYI: Slide out motor bolts

Just got off phone with Newmar concerning previous recall and was told we were up to date.
Was told about two Tech Service Bulletins 462/472 that Newmar sent out concerning the slide out motor bolts issue. Was told to bring coach in for service and they will pull bolts out of slide out motors, put lock tight on them and torque them back up at no cost to owner.
While we were at Region 5 Rally, back in October, in Citra, FL, Gary Smith, our Region 5 Director introduced Bob Hadley, Region 7 Director who talked about this. Bob made the rounds to coach's in attendance and Bob, tightened up several bolts on our 2015 DSDP.
gmharrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #10

I was just at Nappanee 3 weeks ago with my 2016 DS 4018 and can confirm what gmharrop said: there are service bulletins to tighten up the bolts from the gear motor to the shaft on the electric slide out gear motors. So Newmar will tighten these with Locktite for free. On my bedroom unit, they found that the bolts were cross threaded into the gear motor and had to replace the entire gear motor. After watching how long it took the tech to replace the gear motor while swearing to himself, I would not want to do it myself. You definitely have to be a contortionist.

Keith
RetireeKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #11

Keith - Did you have anything stored under your bed and if so did the tech remove it all in order to get under there, or did you have it all cleared out for them? We use both sides for storage so would need to be sure to leave a lot of stuff at home since I'm not sure where it could placed out of the way for the work staff.

That cross-threading sounds really great. Just another example of what a pittyful shape Newmars quality control is. Either that should have been corrected at installation time or noted on the work sheets to do after leaving the production line.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #12

Wagonmaster, my under-bed storage was not totally crammed full of stuff and I was not in the shop when they started the procedure so the tech unloaded the storage area under the bed and put most of the items in the rear bathroom. He took photos before unloading so he could put the items back in the same places later. I was there when he finished so I helped him put everything back.

I did not know that there were service bulletins covering the bolts when I insisted that they retighten all the gear motor bolts with Locktite. I was already aware of the issue based on posts on thyis forum. They fought me a bit on the bedroom slide out and told me those are not usually loose. However, I insisted that they check the bedroom unit and I am glad I did. It was only the next day that I learned there were bulletins covering the issue after I asked them to check alll service bulletins to make sure there were none that affected my coach.

I guess the lesson is that you should not depend on Newmar to check for and correct all issues listed on service bulletins.

Keith

RetireeKeith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide