RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 04:23 AM   #1

Attwood Leveleg Jack Problems

1. I own a 2008 Newmar Ventana Diesel the front right jack has failed for the second time had it replaced the first time by a shop in Fort Myers FL they say the Jack is a 7.5K levelegs part number 66541 Called Newmar they have the replacement part in stock but they only go with there part numbers that is 116204 how do I cross over the part numbers so I know the right part is being installed ? Presently I am on the road the jack that failed is under warranty by level legs. I had it taken off and Panel disconnected so the alarm would stop.

johnberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
, johnberger!

To directly answer your question, according to my manual (from the new legs) the 66541 is a 15" travel 7.5K leg, retracted length 23" (foot to metal base where the plastic gear reduction case mounts). This leg will have a extra connector for a sensor which you will not use, otherwise it is a direct fit. You can verify by measuring your retracted length on your legs.

Now some questions and information:

Have you contacted Atwood directly? There is a known design flaw in the 2008 version of Levelegs and Atwood sometimes will help replace the whole system with an updated one that will not have the issue. Here and here are just a couple of threads on the subject. I had the system replaced in 2014, I did have to pay for it but at a discount from both Newmar and Atwood. Other coach brands have stepped up and shouldered the labor cost or the whole cost of replacement.

What I did in the years I had the bad system was to replace the bad part in the failed leg (a shear pin in the clutch) and keep an extra leg around for the inevitable next failure. I replaced legs four times before I broke down and had the system replaced. My contact at Atwood was Sue Noyes, and she gladly shipped me the part for free. Unfortunately I just learned she passed away last November. I'm sure if you called Atwood Customer Service they will help.

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #3

Replacement Attwood Jacks

Stewart
I have an 07 Newmar Ventana with old Attwood jacks. It seems you replaced your jacks recently with Attwoods newer system. How do you like them? Have you had any issues? Do they work similar to old system. I plan to replace mine soon and since the old system had issues, I was thinking of going to a different vendor.......maybe Bullseye. Did you look at other vendors?
Anything you can provide will help.
Thanks
Art
artvdb@yahoo.com
artvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvdb View Post
Stewart
I have an 07 Newmar Ventana with old Attwood jacks. It seems you replaced your jacks recently with Attwoods newer system. How do you like them? Have you had any issues? Do they work similar to old system. I plan to replace mine soon and since the old system had issues, I was thinking of going to a different vendor.......maybe Bullseye. Did you look at other vendors?
Anything you can provide will help.
Thanks
Art
artvdb@yahoo.com
I like the new system, it's worked fine since installed in 2014 and with the redesign there's none of the clutching at the ends of travel which caused the jacks to fail.

I didn't look at other vendors, when I dealt with Atwood I got a really good price on the new system, way less than the $2871 Amazon has the Bullseye systems for. Newmar installed it but I am confident I could have installed it myself and saved the install cost.

I would definitely get in touch with Atwood regarding this, even though it's well past the warranty Atwood may give you a break on the cost of the new system, especially if you've had multiple failures and have reported them to Atwood.

Several Tiffin owners in the early threads I read said when they had three failures Tiffin offered to replace the jacks either free or nearly free. Newmar did not give me much, the levelers were installed along with a re-siding job in Winter so I did get the reduced labor rate. That is one of the times I was wishing that Matt Miller was as reachable as Bob Tiffin.

Have you seen this thread? Installations does not seem too difficult, you won't have the LP Gas tank issue Chuck2341 had as you already had jacks. You may have to cut/grind off the old mounts to drill and mount the new ones in their place, but that should not be too difficult.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems