Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #1

Audio Video System Upgrade

I have a 2007 Mountain Aire and want to upgrade the DVD Player and Surround Sound Receiver, incorporating the Wally Dish receiver. My entertainment center is above the refrigerator. I am second owner of the coach and the previous owner had made some modifications to the original system, then pulled some components andleft loose wiring when the parted with the coach. There is a "mess" of wiring that I want to clean up and then add some new, upgraded equipment. Does anyone have some helpful tips?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2017, 07:20 AM   #2
4x4

Newmar Owners Club
I had the same issues. Back in the day they used RCA and or antenna cables which I had replaced with HDMI. I ended up replacing the front TV from the original 32" to a 43" Sony which fit right in place and looks factory installed. They fished HDMI cables through the ceiling by popping down the lights. I removed the speakers in the front overhead cabinet and had ceiling speakers put in which makes it now the best sounding stereo I have ever owned. Of course the original receiver, DVD player and everything else was also replaced. I'm running a 7.2 surround stereo system with the only original speakers used are the rear ones which are now used for the back channel. I also ran HDMI cables to the bedroom and to the outside TV. Hope this helps.
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #3

Thanks 4X4, I currently have RCA/Composite wiring to all my TV's and in the A/V cabinet as well. As I said, it is a real mess of wires. It does make sense to run HDMI to the TV's and upgrade the equipment of current stuff. I guess I am a bit hesitant to run HDMI to the TV's.....did that in my previous coach, a 2000 DutchStar and it was no easy task. It may make for a nice winter project here in Northern Idaho.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #4

Up Dating A/V

Hope this thread keeps going...I can learn a lot from it. I'm in the process for doing the same. I've replaced all three '08 technology weighting a total of 94 lbs. with 3 smart TV's at a total of 40.6 lbs. Soon I'll have a local A/V/Satellite tech. guy come in and design & install up to date equipment.

Don
CoyoteFlatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
4x4

Newmar Owners Club
If your coaches are anything like my '07 Essex and you care about sound then have them install speakers in the ceiling. Since the A/C ducts runs down the middle there was no place to install a single center channel speaker so I simply had them install 2 matching speakers on either side of the A/C duct and as close to center as possible. I also had them install right and left channel speakers in the ceiling corners, two midway in the coach and used the original box speakers in the back of the living area. I also replace the factory sub with a small but powerful SVS SB-1000 non ported subwoofer to fit under the sink. I also had the J-Couch removed and have a desk put in. In the bottom of the shelves I also put a smaller subwoofer to fill out the bass as the rear subwoofer was still too directional for my taste. I put in 6 of the Yamaha 8" NSIC800WH ceiling speakers from Amazon for a bit over $600. I also put in a pair of 6" speakers in the ceiling up front for the dash radio instead of running a switch to use the Yamaha speakers to prevent any possible static from combining a 120v with a 12v stereo system. Finally I measured the cabinet and the largest Yamaha receiver I could comfortable fit was the Yamaha RX-A860 7.2 surround unit.

I've had really good stereos in the day including separates like an Adcom GFA-555 power amp. I can honestly say this is the best sounding stereo I have ever had. At low volumes you can still hear and feel the bass and at movie levels the special effects surround are insane. I picked out the parts I wanted, ordered them (other than the SVS subs which I ordered from them) from Amazon and had an audio shop install them.

I also changed the factory 32" TV for a 43" 4k Sony (I actually had a 43" Samsung that I sent back for a couple of reasons) which looks like factory installed without any cabinet modifications other than the actual mount.

If sound is important to your enjoyment I'd say this is the way to go. If you want to keep it simpler and less expensive with simply ok sound the first thing you would still need to do is get rid of the front cabinet speakers and replace them with a pair of ceiling speakers.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:14 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Picture of desk

4x4,
If you can would you post a picture of the desk?
Old 05-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
4x4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTRIDER View Post
4x4,
If you can would you post a picture of the desk?
You can see a few in this other thread..

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/upgr...-325988-2.html

Tags
audio, upgrade