Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #15

If you plan on dry camping AGS would be nice to have but not a got to have. Get a hand held monitor to see what your actual battery charge is and you can easily run your gen in the morning and late afternoon to keep batteries charged. That residential frig will use a lot of battery juice. We had one in our Newmar Essex but since we rarely dry camp more than a day never got around to installing the AGS.

Enjoy the journey
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
I think it mostly depends on if you have pets that you leave alone in the coach. Then AGS is really good.

I've been thinking about adding it, but didn't now how much it might cost. The actual AGS module isn't expensive. But after seeing that $1,700 estimate, I'm guessing the wiring to and from it is the problem -- lots of labor.
What is the exact wiring from where to where? Can you just get the pre-wire as a special?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Newmar wants you to buy a much more expensive RV to get the good useful stuff. The small liquid acid batteries and inverters, and controller Newmar installed are OK if only going to campgrounds with power hookups and it is plugged into power when not using the RV. If you want to camp at places without power you are going to have to spend real money. You need a MS2812 inverter/charger, ARC50 remote panel, AGS, and BMK installed with 4/0 cables between the batteries and MS2812.

If Newmar says no, then ask for a special order that includes 1" conduits for 120 volt cables to and from a suitable compartment (for the MS2812 and wiring and solar controller) to the breaker box in the RV. You will also want the solar prep and 1" conduit from that compartment to the RV instrument panel (mine was above the entry door).

I did not order Newmar's inverter for my 2012 Bay Star. As soon as I could get away from the loathsome dealer, I began searching for the best stuff on the market at that time bacause I felt nothing was too good for my new RV and the items in my signature were installed. The result has been a trouble free system that keeps both battery banks fully charged when parked in the sun. The AGS runs the gen for half an hour for monthly exercise when the RV is parked at home. It runs the gen to bring the battery bank SOC to 90% if the current SOC falls below 70% during a campground's generator hours (my settings). My MS2812 powers the coffee pot, microwave, etc from the battery bank. The 2 air conditioners and 120 volt part of the hot water are the exception to inverter power.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:57 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
What is the exact wiring from where to where? Can you just get the pre-wire as a special?
I think the AGS runs 2 wires to the generator and each pulse starts or stops the generator. The AGS also has a temperature sensor on a cable that you place inside the RV or you can use the external sensor from the AC's thermostat to send the temp to the AGS. Some effort is required to thread a wire inside the finished wall to the thermostat and run it to the AGS. Finally, a proper phone cable connects the AGS to your MS2812 and the ARC50 enables you to controll it.

If you download the installation and owners manuals for the equipment you will get the guidance you need to do the job correctly.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everyone for the comments and information!
Unfortunately "Joe", I do not have enough "electronics" nor "electrical" background to tackle such a task!

I believe I am going to see how things work out without it first!
Then, if needed, I probably will do as a couple others have done, & return to Newmar to have it installed. I, at least have confidence that since they built and wired it, they have the knowledge to properly install it.

It appears that at my youthful age of 72, I may need to go take some courses on electricity, electronics, and new age computer controlled "everything"!

Again, I appreciate all the help & comments!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
I think it mostly depends on if you have pets that you leave alone in the coach. Then AGS is really good.

I've been thinking about adding it, but didn't now how much it might cost. The actual AGS module isn't expensive. But after seeing that $1,700 estimate, I'm guessing the wiring to and from it is the problem -- lots of labor.
I installed AGS in our '02 DSDP with 8K diesel gen. It only required running small signal wires from the electrical compartment to the generator and replacing the control module. It's been over 10 years since I did it so can't remember the details now but it certainly wasn't much much labor.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #21
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
Newmar wants you to buy a much more expensive RV to get the good useful stuff. The small liquid acid batteries and inverters, and controller Newmar installed are OK if only going to campgrounds with power hookups and it is plugged into power when not using the RV. If you want to camp at places without power you are going to have to spend real money. You need a MS2812 inverter/charger, ARC50 remote panel, AGS, and BMK installed with 4/0 cables between the batteries and MS2812.
Sorry, but it isn't about what Newmar wants you to buy; it is about the price point of the coach. If they added all "the good stuff" you seem to want, there's a cost for doing that. Would you buy a Canyon Star with "all the good stuff" if it was priced the same as a Ventana? Most people wouldn't.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Sorry, but it isn't about what Newmar wants you to buy; it is about the price point of the coach. If they added all "the good stuff" you seem to want, there's a cost for doing that. Would you buy a Canyon Star with "all the good stuff" if it was priced the same as a Ventana? Most people wouldn't.

TJ
Newmar and the dealers are peddlers and want to upsell to maximize their profit to unconscionable levels.

The evidence, if you don't pay enough you get poorer wheels, tires, and brakes on the Ventana than the other diesels. The marginal price difference between an L9 and X12 on the XCR chassis is a lot less that the $150K+ price difference between the DSDP and MADP. You have buy a 2020 DSDP+ if you want to order the safety features that are on cars and pickups like adaptive cruise and emergency braking, lane keeping, hi-rez 360 degree cameras for solo backing and parking or security system, etc.

I drive in mountains like you, I have learned a M2 106 350/1,150 L9 chassis is only about $25K to $30K less than a Cascadia 113 with a 505/1,850 DD13 chassis. The Cascadia is wider, hetter seating, and designed better for OTR comfort. However, Renegade, and now Newar have a $150K profit pack to get a Super C on the better Cascadia chassis.

A Cascadia with a 20K ZF IFS air 360 tires front axle and 24K air ride 2 speed (mountains and flatland driving) rear axle chassis and a 27' freezer type box outfitted as a comfortable motorhome is a good start on a balanced, well handiing, rugged RV. If it leaves the RV builder's factory at 26K to 30K pounds with twin 100 gal fuel and 175gal water & waste tanks and a 10K NCC it would be a great Super C. Especially for off road driving and boondocking, which is my preferred mode of camping. If the owner can achieve 50% of the weight on each axle it will handle very well on winding mountain roads.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post

TJ
Actually, in this case, as explained to me by Michele Howard, the whole issue is about the significant additional "time requirement" to do the "AGS" installation. There is a reason each Newmar coach comes down the assembly line in a certain format; i.e., a Bay Star, then a King Aire, then a Dutch Star, then a Canyon Star, etc, etc. The line is set up based on actual time needed to perform assembly functions, & to keep the line moving at a specified rate. Not sure I explained it clearly, but this is what the issue is.
Installing "AGS" on a Canyon Star takes about 11 hours start to finish, per Newmar's quote. So, in the case, it would "stall" the assembly line!
I understood once Michele explained it to me, & am ok with it!
As to the "AGS", after we take delivery, we will see how it goes, then make a decision whether or not to go back and have it installed!

And you are exactly right about adding to the price! In my case, the "Specials" added about another $5,000 plus to the total! Engineering did not approve a couple of things, but all in all, it is built as I wanted it!
Last thing, to my understanding, other manufacturer's will not let you do "custom" type stuff like Newmar will! So another PLUS for Newmar!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would imagine Newmar would have to swap out Basic Magnum Remote for the Standard ME-RC, ass the wiring harness from Genset to AGS, add ME-AGS-N, add ME-PT2 to connect to Dometic Control Center, and run Network cable fro ME-AGS-N to the MS2012 Inverter...