Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2019, 05:12 PM   #1

Auto Motion Windshield Shades

Has anybody changed out the old motor with the new one? The old one has five wires and the new one has three. I do not know what to do with the two extra wires and they are the power to the old motors. It seems like you need to rewire the dash switch. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2019, 12:10 AM   #2

When I did it I called Newmar service and they sent me instructions. IIRC there was rewiring of the switch involved.

That was on our 2014 coach.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:26 AM   #3

I have something I got off automotion web site. Was it very hard to rewire the switch
Old 06-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Removing these shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
I have something I got off automotion web site. Was it very hard to rewire the switch
PLEASE HELP ME! I need to remove these shades from one window and would love ANY advice.. Gratefully, Lenmar
2011 Newmar MA
Lenmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #5

Getting to the switch wiring in the dash was awkward. None of the work is too hard.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Lenmar, I also have 2011 MA and have changed a couple of the Automotion shade motors. These motors have only 2 wires the motor just pulls out of the shade.
JP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVWL5013.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	251488  
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:40 PM   #7

But how do you set the limits????

I have a 2007 Essex and the front window shade only moves about a half an inch in either direction. It has a two wire motor.
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:55 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
To set the limits on the end that is out of the shade there is two square holes with arrows pointing direction one is up limit and the other is down limit just give them a turn they may take a lot of turns There is plastic screw knobs that go into the square holes but a small flat screw driver works also
JP
Old 06-29-2019, 07:56 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How to remove the shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post
Lenmar, I also have 2011 MA and have changed a couple of the Automotion shade motors. These motors have only 2 wires the motor just pulls out of the shade.
JP
We know the motors pull out; our issue is how the heck do you get the shade out? We have managed to remove the U-shaped clip and that is where we are in the process. The extremely tight space under the valance doesn’t give us much room to see or work. Can you please tell us how you removed the shade and did you disconnect the wires first?
Old 06-29-2019, 09:47 AM   #10

Once I remove the metal c-shaped clip there was the hinged part of the white plastic I can barely dig my fingernail into it to open the latch. In the shade came out by the way there's a very small white plastic bushing that is rectangular shaped on the motor side. Mine was broken and I can't find half of it. So what I recommend you do is plug the gap between the dashboard and windshield and all the heater ducts with a sheet or something that is dark colored not white so you can find the little pieces and not lose them in the dashboard like I did. Good luck and please let us know how it works
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:25 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Just as KiteSquid said after the metal c clip the hinged latch lifts up or opens then the shade lifts up to clear the bracket
JP
Old 06-30-2019, 07:43 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post
Just as KiteSquid said after the metal c clip the hinged latch lifts up or opens then the shade lifts up to clear the bracket
JP
Ok, we are going to take another stab at this.Any chance there is a video or illustration of this tab.
Our shade is not the windshield it is one of the 51” side windows. Of course there are two and both have to be removed as the day shade is the one that needs the motor and it is on top of the night shade!

Also, what about the wires?? Disconnect first?

Thankful for your suggestions,
Old 06-30-2019, 10:41 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I would disconnect the wires first, what is the downside?. I am at 10 motors and counting with only 8 more to go being replaced on mine.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:24 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
I would disconnect the wires first, what is the downside?. I am at 10 motors and counting with only 8 more to go being replaced on mine.
Holy Cow! You've got us beat, we are at #6. If we were to do this again, we would not get the motorized shades but go with the retractable ones from Hunter Douglas! I think they have a lifetime warranty too!
Newman should offer an option especially when it comes to the KA!

Thank you for the advice on disconnecting the wires first! Gonna need some skinny fingers!!!

Tags
wind, windshield