RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Auto Socks on MH

I decided to try my first cold weather trip in the coach (down to 7 degrees) so I bought a pair of Auto Socks just incase). I had about 8" of snow removed from the entrance of my property in La Pine OR (about 300' uphill) and my parking spot. I put them on which was very easy and drove right up. It went up so easy I wondered if it could have made it without them. I took them off, again very easy. Tried to move forward another 12" and it would not move, tires just spun. I dumped the tag both times to put more weight on the drivers. This tells me they worked very well. On and off is very easy, they weigh almost nothing and store anywhere. The bag they come in is about the size of a couch pillow and the bag opens to twice the size to kneel on. The price was the same everywhere $226 for my size. Thought I would share my first experience with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0433a.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	310137  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2020, 11:56 AM   #2

Thanks for the report - I've been carrying a pair of those for a few years ever since I learned that they are considered adequate traction control devices in California and Colorado, probably more states by now. So no more carrying around heavy chains that I'll never use with any luck at all. I hope to never use the Auotsox either but they are much easier to carry - I leave them in the RV all year. Glad to see that they actually do work.
johninsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the report. I bought a pair for my MH this fall as travelling in British Columbia after October 1st you are required to carry chains or an approved alternative. They are approved in B.C. and very compact to carry.

Never plan on using them as I would rather wait out any bad road conditions but being prepared is still the best option.

Thanks again.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #4

I love them and they're now approved in all states. There are two points that people should know about.1Never use them on dry or cleared roads and 2.do not exceed 20 MPH. I think they're a lot better than chains.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #5

We have them for our ambulances and they are awesome.

Socks are not a replacement for chains and chains are not a replacement for socks.

While they do a similar job, they both have advantages and disadvantages. Just make sure you are using the right one for the right job.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:42 PM   #6

Will they work on those occasions while you are stuck on wet or damp grass? Asking for a friend.
Snap-On Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:08 PM   #7

How far can you drive on these? I have been looking for something like this.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCSONRAIL View Post
How far can you drive on these? I have been looking for something like this.
I guess it depends on what you mean by how far.

Are you asking how long they last?

Like most things it depends on the conditions. In actual snow where they would be most useful they will last a long time. If you run them on dry surfaces I would not expect to get more than a few miles out of them.

https://autosock.us/faq/
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote