RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Automated patio light

We are camping next to our daughter and son-in-law in their 2017 Dutch Star 4018. When they open their coach door, their patio light comes on, which is what I would like to happen on our 2019 London Aire. The only way I can get our patio light to come on is with the switch by the door. Did they eliminate the door light switches or is ours been broken since we bought it?
hbatwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2020, 08:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbatwell View Post
We are camping next to our daughter and son-in-law in their 2017 Dutch Star 4018. When they open their coach door, their patio light comes on, which is what I would like to happen on our 2019 London Aire. The only way I can get our patio light to come on is with the switch by the door. Did they eliminate the door light switches or is ours been broken since we bought it?
I am not aware that any coaches had a switch that turns the Porch light on when opening the door and I am not sure how that is a good feature.

If dark approaching your MH you would want the light to be on or come on.

I think this is your best option for both coaches.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/vic...ht-509644.html
Old 11-26-2020, 09:47 PM   #3

You could put the patio light on a "smart switch" and put a sensor on the door (like a security system) and have an automation controller have the logic of when to turn on the patio light (time of night, motion sensor, and / or the opening door).
Old 11-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #4

The previous owner installed a motion detect light on ours. If you turn the switch on it will come on normally. A quick on, off, on again will put it into motion mode. Is it possible that someone replaced the light on their coach?

Edit to add: This looks like the one on our unit. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Star-...3953fe475cae98
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:51 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"hbatwell".....I think you may be describing this incorrectly. I've owned a 2014 DS and now a 2019 DS. The patio light DID NOT come on when you open the door. I'm describing the patio light as the outside light above the door. There is an amber light under the steps that will come. On the Dutch Stars, when you open the front door, a light in the step well and two overhead lights in the cab come on for 30 seconds and then go out. This has been standard on Dutch Stars for many years. I think this is what you're talking about.

With that said, be careful what you wish for. If there is ever a time that you might want to sneak out of the RV at night, like if you suspect something or quietly want to see what's going on, you can't as all the lights come on, every time.

The lights coming on is operated by a KIB module under the dash. On my 2014 DS, I added a switch to the dash that allowed me to turn off the light function, so if I wanted to exit the coach at night without telling the world, I could. I haven't found the module yet on my 2019 DS.

I would think that a feature on a Dutch Star, like the light, would definitely be on yours. You need to find another London Aire owner and see if theirs works like the DS.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:03 PM   #6

I just today installed this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
on my 2016 Bay Star. It has a motion detector that should sense a person as they open the door to walk out. I will test it tomorrow night. It operates with your switch. Turn on and the light goes on...turn off and then back on and the motion detector works.
StevefromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:23 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't have a Newmar but this is what came on my coach. Its made by KING that makes other RV products like many of our TV antennas.

https://smile.amazon.com/KING-RVM100...94&sr=8-2&th=1

Mines black, but its also available in white. It has LED lights that default white or can be changed to virtually any color you can imagine. It is also a bluetooth speaker built in, so if we want to sit outside and have music we connect our phone and it plays our music with adjustable volume.

And most importantly.... Mine is wired so it turns on with the door opening and then turns off after about 30 seconds. We have a button inside at the stairs to press if we manually want to turn it on or off.

Maybe this product or something like it could be fitted to your coach?

I couldn't find any great pictures because its black on black.... but here's one and you can see it mounted above the door. (CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE)

Hope this helps.... Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4972.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	309533  
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #8

In order for this to work on Newmars doesnít one need to leave the patio switch on which means the stairwell lights stay all the time?
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy2006 View Post
In order for this to work on Newmars doesnít one need to leave the patio switch on which means the stairwell lights stay all the time?

Yes; thatís how itís wired on my DS2020.
ChrisFSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy2006 View Post
This not a bad thing.

Tags
light