Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Automatic Fire Extinguisher for my Norcold

Someone a while back talked about mounting an automatic fire extinguisher in the conpartment behind the refridgerator. I would like more info on that, brand, etc.

Thanks in advance
Rmellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Do a search for Norcold recall or go to this thread.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/mount...norcold+recall
Old 12-23-2010, 06:16 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Do I smell ''Norcold Hysteria or Paranoia'' here..............?? install fire extinghishers everywhere in your coach, and at every level.....in case......
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renden
Do I smell ''Norcold Hysteria or Paranoia'' here..............?? install fire extinghishers everywhere in your coach, and at every level.....in case......
You seem to think the whole thing is pretty funny, eh?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ya Missed the post
If you have read the threads on subject for the past 2 weeks.....makes you wonder what is going on - and it is not funny (I wish) but how compulsive can you be.............mass anxiety ? hysteria ? and the magic pill.....install fire extinguishers all over the Coach ???? does not work with me - I will have my second recall done next week and life will go on with my only 2 fire exting.....1 near the passenger side....1 outside the Coach as I am sitting on a Camp-Resort Site in Florida`and my EXIT pouch packed just in case
Happy Holidays
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Jeff,

Some people are just skeptic's when it comes to simple logic and common sense or lack thereof.

One can only hope that his rig will never have a Norcold fire resulting in a total loss of his coach at the least. However, that is like putting your head in the sand hoping that you are not going to be the next one that bites the yellow dust.

I would much rather take a proactive stance and install whatever is needed to make sure that I am well protected against anything that may happen. Nothing is a guarantee.

Just recently a fellow Monacoers forum member had his smoke alarm go off which he had placed in the Norcold cavity. He later discovered that the cooling unit had ruptured and found the yellow "death" substance on the bottom of the floor of the access area. He immediately turn everything off and shut the frig down completely to prevent any possible fire.

I am going to install a smoke alarm in my Norcold cavity too, I think it's a great idea.

I have one in the FRB compartment in case of any electrical fire in that compartment however I didn't think about putting one in the Norcold cavity. I am now!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmellen View Post
Someone a while back talked about mounting an automatic fire extinguisher in the conpartment behind the refridgerator. I would like more info on that, brand, etc.

Thanks in advance
Rmellen, Here's a good place to start.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/norco...ion-81098.html

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #8

Someone asks a straight forward question and there's always some clown comes along mocking them. Figures.... Usually these guys hang on the big board

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 12-24-2010, 02:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Jeff,

Some people are just skeptic's when it comes to simple logic and common sense or lack thereof.

One can only hope that his rig will never have a Norcold fire resulting in a total loss of his coach at the least. However, that is like putting your head in the sand hoping that you are not going to be the next one that bites the yellow dust.

I would much rather take a proactive stance and install whatever is needed to make sure that I am well protected against anything that may happen. Nothing is a guarantee.

Just recently a fellow Monacoers forum member had his smoke alarm go off which he had placed in the Norcold cavity. He later discovered that the cooling unit had ruptured and found the yellow "death" substance on the bottom of the floor of the access area. He immediately turn everything off and shut the frig down completely to prevent any possible fire.

I am going to install a smoke alarm in my Norcold cavity too, I think it's a great idea.

I have one in the FRB compartment in case of any electrical fire in that compartment however I didn't think about putting one in the Norcold cavity. I am now!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
The problem with smoke detectors is that they can foul extremely easily. During any kind of commercial construction the smoke detectors come out of the box with covers to keep dust from concrete, drywall, and regular ol' street dust out of them until the building is closed up and the air cleaned, but we see failures in the form of a false trip all the time. I just signed a new TV station on last week and wouldn't it figure that we lost one on the stage from set construction dust, another tripped from some adheisive that the set guys were using at another location, and yet another in the UPS room, all in one week

I agree that having something would be good, but I've seen these things that are even rated for external parking structure use false trip as well. I don't think the cavity is any less dusty than any of these areas

Maybe Mac has some ideas?

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 12-24-2010, 04:01 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have been gone a day and everyone is still on board with this fire issue I see.
Like other problems over time with our RV's it will always be us to follow through with a problem when a MFG does not.
The three threads posted pretty much cover the recalls and the subject of fire extinguishers, and there are links within them.
It does not relate to anyone coach MFG its all of them because we have a Norcold or Dometic fridge.
Placement of a fire extinguisher is the part we will not know for sure until, I'm sorry to say, we see how your placement will react if there is a fire.
Although MAC THE FIRE GUY says placement at bottom of fridge compartment should cover it, the picture of the non-operated extinguisher does not sit well with me and some others.
Sammie's thread is covering the placement in the upper parts of air vent has some merit also, like the affects of a chimney fire in a fireplace at home.
Maybe with our large investments we will need two extinguishers or one that Sammie pictured with a two head job if its possible.
A head on extinguisher and one one on the extension to upper parts of vent area.

Just saw this post in another thread that has not been answered seems to add to the mess.
Like I said previously whose RV is going to be the test RV.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #11

I recently installed this in back area of my Norcold refrigerator:

Fire Fight - SS-30 Small-Format Automatic-Release Fire Extinguisher

It is a small unit and was easy to install. I have had Norcold's update performed, and I know the chance of a fire is very remote....at best. But this halon system is a very small investment compared to the my coach. I have also read where others have installed similar systems in their generatror compartment and engine compartment.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABergo View Post
I recently installed this in back area of my Norcold refrigerator:

Fire Fight - SS-30 Small-Format Automatic-Release Fire Extinguisher

It is a small unit and was easy to install. I have had Norcold's update performed, and I know the chance of a fire is very remote....at best. But this halon system is a very small investment compared to the my coach. I have also read where others have installed similar systems in their generatror compartment and engine compartment.
Just installed the same fire extenguisher in my refer compartment. lt is easy to install and is Halon based and will trigger at 165 degrees. I hope it never goes off, but to me it is cheap insurance.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #13

I have looked at the SS-30 Halon extinguisher and it will fit on the sill below the burner assembly, however in the case of my Norcold fire I believe most of the coach would have been consumed by fire before it would have discharged. The flames and heat go up, with the extingusher below the burner much damage would be done before it would discharge. The only minor damage to my coach was charring on the air dam above the fire, not below.

If you can mount an extingusher above the burner it would work.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for that information AL.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote