Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
AutoMotion Shades

I have front windshield electric shades by AutoMotion in my 05 Mountain Aire that have both failed due to the drive gear fitted on the motor shaft. On the first failure, I attempted a repair and damaged the motor thus forcing me to seek a new replacement. Posted on another thread is our experiences with pricing at Newmar, AutoMotion and others.

For the second one, I successfully made a new drive gear from aluminum. However, there is a very reasonable alternative to either of these type failures if you don't have the skill to fabricate.

I just finished a home patio motorized shade project using RollerTrol tube motors (Google search for "RollerTrol"). They manufacture a tubular motor that is ideally suited to replace AutoMotion motors with little modification and at a fair price (approx $89/$99US +frt. They are in Canada also.). I used model TMDC-12-25-07-34-NR, Non-radio, fits a 1.5" OD tube and the drive gear is hard rubber that can be hand filed to fit the inside of a AutoMotion tube if the exact groves are not already there. This website also has a video showing a step by step motor replacement for AutoMotion shades. Contact Adrian for the most friendly Customer Service you have ever had anywhere. Know your tube ID when you make your first contact, he does the rest. The smallest motor will lift any shade we have in our RV.

The RollerTrol motor is a reasonable alternative to having to buy the entire shade for $300.
JLDHELMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the information JLD will add to QT's # 3 shade department.
How did your rear camera work out??

Roller Trol site.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
AutoMotion Shades

Thanks for asking "007". This is one I chose not to win. I found a used head for my Pioneer system and simply replaced what was there. I am 99% sure there is no current manufactured item that is a direct replacement for the Pioneer P6400. The real killer is the space the Pioneer occupies, ie, flip up screen. So current combo units, stereo, backup camera, GPS etc, are touch screen, thus much more dash space required. I can live with what I've got since the only alternative is a new Mountain Aire as my neighbor just did. Oh my.
JLDHELMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:23 AM   #4

I have the same electric shades on our 2003 Dutch Star that we just purchased but have looked every where for the switch to see if they work....any ideas where that might be?
gkostiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum gkostiuk and irv2.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide and in the three links below you will find much more info for your coach, in QT's # 3 you will find info on your shades.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you for posting. I'm going to link this thread in the FW section as they have used Auto Motion for their full windshield electric shades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDHELMS View Post
I have front windshield electric shades by AutoMotion in my 05 Mountain Aire that have both failed due to the drive gear fitted on the motor shaft. On the first failure, I attempted a repair and damaged the motor thus forcing me to seek a new replacement. Posted on another thread is our experiences with pricing at Newmar, AutoMotion and others.

For the second one, I successfully made a new drive gear from aluminum. However, there is a very reasonable alternative to either of these type failures if you don't have the skill to fabricate.

I just finished a home patio motorized shade project using RollerTrol tube motors (Google search for "RollerTrol"). They manufacture a tubular motor that is ideally suited to replace AutoMotion motors with little modification and at a fair price (approx $89/$99US +frt. They are in Canada also.). I used model TMDC-12-25-07-34-NR, Non-radio, fits a 1.5" OD tube and the drive gear is hard rubber that can be hand filed to fit the inside of a AutoMotion tube if the exact groves are not already there. This website also has a video showing a step by step motor replacement for AutoMotion shades. Contact Adrian for the most friendly Customer Service you have ever had anywhere. Know your tube ID when you make your first contact, he does the rest. The smallest motor will lift any shade we have in our RV.

The RollerTrol motor is a reasonable alternative to having to buy the entire shade for $300.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote