RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Average true price for Dutch Star 4018

Hello Everyone,

I am looking at the Dutchstar 4018 and would like any input on what the true market value is. Seems that dealerships want to play games. when asked what the best price is.....the response was, "depends on your trade". That is BS. On average how much off the MRSP is reasonable?

Any info would be helpful.

thanks
Craig

craighouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #2

Hi Craig, I don't know the numerical answer to your question but,

My practice in buying a new vehicle is to talk Cash, No Trade and work backwards from there. Then compare the best price. Some dealers will get really pissed when you throw a trade in the mix and turn away but the good ones will come back to the table and try to make an honest deal.
The ones that won't, I walk away from.

There really are some honest dealers out there.

Good model choice BTW.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Assuming no trade, you should be able to get 28-30% off MSRP.
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The reason for the trade price concern is they don't want to insult you with the real price they will pay for the trade ( below wholesale) so if a trade is involved they can offer you more for your trade and less off the new coach.in the end it will all work out the same if ... if you know what the difference ( amount you'll pay or borrow ).
When they give you a good price for the new one 25-30% off with no trade then hit you with the lowball well below wholesale on the trade people tend to walk.they prefer to roll it up and make it disappear in the numbers
They will want to make 10-20 % on your trade on a 100,000 coach that's 10- 20 grand. And a lot of people think that's too much. But that's the type numbers they operate on. It's standard sales tactics to not let you think about that.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
The reason for the trade price concern is they don't want to insult you with the real price they will pay for the trade ( below wholesale) so if a trade is involved they can offer you more for your trade and less off the new coach.in the end it will all work out the same if ... if you know what the difference ( amount you'll pay or borrow ).
When they give you a good price for the new one 25-30% off with no trade then hit you with the lowball well below wholesale on the trade people tend to walk.they prefer to roll it up and make it disappear in the numbers
They will want to make 10-20 % on your trade on a 100,000 coach that's 10- 20 grand. And a lot of people think that's too much. But that's the type numbers they operate on. It's standard sales tactics to not let you think about that.
You are absolutely correct. The "open & honest" dealer will tell you up front that their offer for your trade is going to be 15-20% below NADA "Dealer book" Wholesale, and yes, that can be many thousands of $$. The dealer who gives 25-30% off a true MSRP isn't making enough on the sale of a new "stock" unit to cover all the costs of running a large business carrying an inventory, and therefore they "need" to make a larger profit on the trade-in. IF you can sell your trade privately, that is the only way to KNOW exactly how good a deal you got on the new one.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #6

It's all been covered above, I just bought a 4018 DS and asked for 2 separate numbers, 1 for the cost of new coach and 1 for trade in. Got an excellent discount 31% but took a bath on my 2014 Winnie Adventurer which was in immaculate condition. if you buy without a trade I believe you can count on paying a higher price/lower % for your new coach. Bottom line get pricing from a few dealers but remember they are in business for a reason. Good luck this Forum is excellent for asking questions
67vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:26 PM   #7

The trade in really complicates things.... when we were shopping for a new Dutch Star, one of the places we went to was North Trail. They offered me more than what I originally paid for my old coach-- which was 13 years old. What a joke. Of course, they then played games with the bottom line. I then told them, I'd be selling the old one privately, they still were way out of line on their price. I guess after offing a crazy trade in price, they had no where to go. Well I had a place to go, and it wasn't North Trail after that fiasco.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #8

If you don't have a trade

If this is your first purchase and you don't have a trade, should you still expect to get 28-30% off the MSRP if you are paying cash?
ianschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianschneider View Post
If this is your first purchase and you don't have a trade, should you still expect to get 28-30% off the MSRP if you are paying cash?
If you work at it yes, however expect them to start around 20 ( many coaches are sold at this point ) and have to press to get it there at most dealers. It may take some leaving the table for a few days. At least that's been my experience.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #10

Does it effect their service and support?

Quote:
If you work at it yes, however expect them to start around 20 ( many coaches are sold at this point ) and have to press to get it there at most dealers. It may take some leaving the table for a few days. At least that's been my experience.
So if you work on them and get it to the 28-30% will it effect their service and support mind set? I'm guessing that would depend on who the dealer is, no?
ianschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:30 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I'm sure you are correct it depends.. there all kinds of dealers
just common logic however I would assume making more profit might make them more flexible in solving problems , human nature being what it is im sure they look at the deal as having a point that they will go no more money or effort. You become a loss at that point.
My feeling has always been that that's why a distant buyer is more attractive to cut prices for, as they know you won't be on their doorstep needing help again .. the deal is done cash in hand someone else will invest time in helping you.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:36 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Make a list of the options you want, and get prices from Midway (Chad), NIRVC, and Independence (Justin). You should be seeing roughly 25-29% off MSRP, depending on what options you choose. HYH.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:41 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I'm sure you are correct it depends.. there all kinds of dealers
just common logic however I would assume making more profit might make them more flexible in solving problems , human nature being what it is im sure they look at the deal as having a point that they will go no more money or effort. You become a loss at that point.
My feeling has always been that that's why a distant buyer is more attractive to cut prices for, as they know you won't be on their doorstep needing help again .. the deal is done cash in hand someone else will invest time in helping you.
I could be wrong here, but I have actually heard the opposite that dealing with a local buyer that the dealer knows will be bringing the coach in for service they will actually discount more as they know they can make it up on the back end when coach is in for future servicing. I also have been told some dealers make more from servicing then the actual sale. All this in mind you have to watch out for how the dealer is known for servicing as some are a pleasure and great to deal with and others are known to be complete headaches!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
At issue is the manufacturer seems to be working full out to fill orders. If that is the case the dealer will sell everything they can get. If you don't buy it the next fellow probably will.

Tags
dutch star