I decided I better start a new thread that goes beyond the earlier thread I have posted a link to. Bear with me as I set this up.
In the process of trying to determine why my air conditioner discharge water was leaking through the wall and out the seam above my passenger side wheel well I explored much further than I initially anticipated. I had several responses to my previous post about the same problem but, it was because of bad caulking around the front cap seam and gutter drain.
After speaking with a Newmar technician yesterday about this I decided it was going to be a much more involved project. The technician was quite aware of water leaking through the wall and exiting by the wheel well. If you get up on your roof and look by the drain cup and underneath the awning bracket by the drain cup you will be looking at the main problem area. On my coach at least. Newmar only ran the seam tape for the front cap to about 1 1/2Ē away from end of the front cap seam. That leaves about 1 1/2Ē of gap in the roof about 3/8Ē across. Additionally, the gutter stops about 1/2Ē before the drain cup and, there is a very large gap underneath that gutter. In case you donít know that gutter is added on to the roof hence, all the screws that you will see and the seam tape over the gutter and roof.
The awning brackets are attached to the roof with about 6 lag bolts. Before installing the awning brackets there is butyl tape put on the underneath portion and where the lag bolts go through the bracket to the roof. On the portion of the awning bracket that is underneath the awning rails there is little to no caulking. As I was investigating the lack of caulking underneath the awning brackets I had water push out of 7 of the twelve awning brackets as I was leaning over the brackets to investigate. The butyl tape should stop this, right? Not necessarily according to the Newmar technician I spoke with. So now I have water underneath 7 awning brackets and I have six screw holes underneath that go through those brackets directly into the roof. And, yes they go all the way through to the insulation. Is that water going through the screws into the coach? I donít know but, that is the type of slow leak that can lead to significantly expensive damage over time.
Now for the gutter drain cup and roof seam. I will post some pictures again of the large holes in the gutter drain and roof seam. It very hard to tell but, the dark spot in the photos is the gap in the roof seam and at the end of the gutter drain. If your caulking in these areas is deteriorated and cracked then those holes are a direct line to water leaking into your roof. The gutter drain has seam tape that goes over part of the roof and part of the gutter. That little piece of seam tape will prevent air conditioner discharge water from reaching the gutter most of the time if you are level. Hence, the water pooling around the forward awning brackets.
Hereís my plan after talking to the Newmar technician. I removed the gutter drain screen and removed any loose and deteriorated caulking. Very difficult job with the awning rails on. Then I removed the deteriorating caulking in that roof seam. I thought about eternabond tape for the little space then decided against it. The tape has to be rolled very tight to the roof seam or itís just as bad as cracked caulking. Also, there is already much caulking on top of the taped roof seam that Newmar installed. If I try to remove that then I will further damage the roof seam tape. I will use the self leveling Dicor as Newmar did. I will cover it more thoroughly and check it frequently. I will use the non sagging Dicor around the end of the gutter and around the drain hole.
Now for the awning brackets underneath the rails. I got some rubber roof cleaner and sprayed that on the backside of the awning brackets underneath the rails as well as some of the caulking along the awning brackets. I used a small stiff brush to rub this in and clean the caulking. Then I used a wet sponge to wipe off the roof cleaner and dried it with a cloth. I then went over the area with denatured alcohol on a cloth for the final cleaning. Tomorrow after I believe everything will be dry I will caulk all these brackets underneath the awning rails. As I stated, every bracket had cracked caulking.
This is not for the faint of heart. You will be on the roof leaning over the awning rails trying to get a small brush in there to clean off the caulking. I have about 10-12 man hours into this now. If this doesnít solve my leak problem then I am going to have to schedule a Seal Tech test at Lazydays.