Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2021, 09:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntheroad View Post
I agree. Too many fancy gadgets to go wrong. What’s wrong with pushing an ole time switch to operate something?
I don't even want one that you push a switch, I like the basic mechanical ones. They aren't going to move out unless you physically do what it takes to pull them out. And it literally only takes about a minute. But I can understand if you have several of them it might be convenient, I just have one 18-footer. Also not a fan of the self leveling systems. KISS is my motto.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2021, 09:54 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Do you have a wind sensor?

My first automatic awning was hooked up wrong and when I drove away from the place that just installed it the dang thing deployed.

Turns out that was the first one they had ever installed.

So turn off the sensor and see what happens.
It does have wind sensors built in to this system but I don’t see any separate controls to turn those off. They actually work very well, having seen them retract automatically several times in windy conditions at camp grounds. Don’t the sensors only trigger a “retract” signal, not an “extend”?
patgreenair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
We are quite familiar with this problem, being the owner of the 2018 MADP that had its awning deploy while we were pulling into a truck stop for fuel. Our issue is currently being checked out and resolved.

May I suggest that you contact Girard regarding your experience! They have indicated that they want to hear from people experiencing this unintended awning deployment problem.

Sales@girardgroupcompanies.com

TJ
I definitely will contact them, thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-26-2021, 10:00 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
Make sure you did not accidentally put a program into the inside control panel. I have done that several times while using the inside panel to extend or retract the awning or tuning the led lights on and off. I don’t know how I did it but, apparently I did. When there is a program then the awnings will extend or retract on that program. Mine only used to retract. I called Girad and they emailed me instructions on how to remove any program. There should never be a program in the inside control panel. I believe if you see a small round circle on the bottom left side of the panel then you have some sort of program to control the awnings set. I now use only the remote.
I’m sorry that I’m not at the coach right now to post them.
I never use the inside control panel, just the small remote that seems to work just fine. I did check the display and don’t see anything in the display. Does it have to be turned on somehow to see if there’s a program in it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB821B54-5C67-4816-80A6-9BDC4A94693F.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	329615  
Old 05-26-2021, 10:04 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I had this happen on you LA last spring. I was overnighting at North Trail and my rear awning deployed by itself. Everything was checked and nothing was found. It has not repeated it. I think that because it uses a remote for the awning some other signal similar to a garage door opener may have triggered it. Was it the front or rear awning on yours?
It was the front awning only that deployed while no one was home. If it was some sort of RF interference, I certainly hope there’s a safety circuit cut off that will keep it from deploying while driving!!
Old 05-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No automatic one for me until they improve the quality. It sounds like you will be spending more time dealing with getting it repaired compared to a life time of going out and putting it up or down.

What a pain it would be to rip off at 65 mph. I can not live with the idea of it coming down when traveling. Something about passing a truck at 65 mph and having it come down.

What is my liability if I know these things have issues and it rips off and a mother with three babies over reacts and crashes?
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car1 View Post
Isn't there a post, and a running thread, somewhere on this Forum on this issue?? It was a result of the 12V fuse panel mounted in proximity to the 120V breaker panel. In that case, Girard had a fix with an installation of a choke or filter on a 12V feed wire. If I remember correctly, that issue was on a DutchStar. It may not apply in this case. A call to Girard would should clarify.

That was for the random retraction of the awning and it was me. It was affecting the wind sensor which can only retract the awning. This sensor cannot deploy the awning.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgreenair View Post
I never use the inside control panel, just the small remote that seems to work just fine. I did check the display and don’t see anything in the display. Does it have to be turned on somehow to see if there’s a program in it?

Needs batteries
Old 05-26-2021, 03:29 PM   #23
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
That was for the random retraction of the awning and it was me. It was affecting the wind sensor which can only retract the awning. This sensor cannot deploy the awning.
There is another “running thread” on this subject, and it was me; awning deployed while pulling into a fuel stop. There have been a number of unexplained awning deployments, both while the coach was stationary and, also, while in motion. Girard has expressed interest in hearing about them. If this has happened to you, contact Girard with the details.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:46 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Needs batteries

If the small remote is working fine, why would it need batteries?
(Not trying to be smart, just wondering if I'm missing something)

If you're talking about the inside control panel, doesn't that work off of 120V power?
(or maybe 12V)
Old 05-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

If you're talking about the inside control panel, doesn't that work off of 120V power?
(or maybe 12V)
The inside control panel runs off of two lithium button batteries. I just replaced mine.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:39 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
The inside control panel runs off of two lithium button batteries. I just replaced mine.
I just went out in garage and unplugged my Girard awnings. Do you remember what type battery CR2032 e.g. that is used. I will look at manual to see how to replace batteries both inside and on remote control.
Could a low battery cause this issue?
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:46 PM   #27

Quote:

(or maybe 12V)

You posted a picture of the remote with the display. No, it doesn’t run off of 120V. That remote needs batteries but I’m sure you figured it out by now.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:59 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Update:

The inside panel does indeed run on two lithium batteries, (CR2430), I replaced those (they were a bit hard to find), and the insider panel came alive and worked fine. However my front awning again self deployed another three times on our recent trip. Once at our campsite, once at a gas station as soon as i put it in neutral and set the parking brake it deployed, and once when I arrived at home and again set the parking brake.

I called Girard for tech support shortly after that, and got a gentleman that had me deploy it, then put it in gear and turn the parking brake off while holding the brake to see if it retracted automatically, and it did!
Next he had me deploy it about three feet, stop it, and then shake it with a broom to simulate windy conditions to see if it would retract, but instead of retracting, it deployed! He said, "your motion sensor needs to have it's polarity reversed". I asked him how in the heck my "polarity" could have gotten reversed as no one has touched the awning since I've had the coach, and he answered he had no idea! He then said he would email me instructions on how to do this as the wind sensor was on the trailing end of the awning...

Has anyone had to do this, or have any idea what could have caused this? I've had this coach long enough to know that the awnings have self retracted a few times in windy conditions, but now all of a sudden the "polarity" is reversed??? The instructions he e-mailed don't even tell me where the sensor "is" and are a bit lacking. I've unplugged the controllers in the basement for now till I have time to tackle this, any ideas would be appreciated!

Tags
awning