Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2020, 07:39 AM   #1

Awning lock and clamps question? Old manual model :)

I have a 1996 Mountain Aire with what I think is an A&E manual awning. Thats on the side rafters, but not sure about the roller tube itself. It has a T handle type lever on the end of rafter that is supposed to lock it from rolling, but doesn't appear to work, is it fixable? Both end rafters and center pole have a knob used to tighten and keep them from moving, are they fixable? I'll include a picture of the center pole, but end rafters I forgot. Roller has the metal guard also. I think my problems are compounded by these issues. If I roll out awning, because arms and end clamp don't lock, it rolls back up so I have to put stakes and straps to hold it.

My other issue is with the ends of awning. The shaft size on ends is about 1/2" and just fits into the end of rafter with nothing but rafter placement to hold it. Other awnings I've seen have a larger shaft with a hole thru side for which a bolt goes thru the end of the rafter and thru that hole. To me that holds the end so the spring winds up for retracting. On mine it just appears to rotate in the slot in end of rafter, so is there a spring that gets wound just rolling it out? I have some used replacement rafters with good clamps, but the ends for awning tube won't work with it.
Any more info is appreciated.
Thanx - Dean

Forgot picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning center pole.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	299007  
deanrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I spent some time trying to identify this model but found nothing. The lower clamp is very different than any awning I have seen. I suggest spending some time looking at these diagrams. It should answer some questions and tell you how it should work. There many diagrams here. You should be able to see how it should connect and if you have a spring and how it secures. Be careful. These springs are dangerous.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=A%2BE+awni...s%2Frrolup.gif

Hopefully someone here has seen this model. If you know of any older, privately owned RV dealers or repair shops there are bound to be folks who have seen them and even someone might have parts.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #3

deanrd I had a 1999 DSDP with this style A & E awning on it. The center arm should have a strap cradle on top to help support the awning & tube when its rolled up for travel, as well as tension it in the center when deployed. The handle is a lever cam- you release it & cam down 90 degrees, deploy the awning out all the way with out raising it- release the stop screw above the cam arm- extend the center arm & insert the pin into the awning tube hole- slide the arm until almost tight- tighten the stop screw- cam the handle back to parallel to tension the center of the awning. Having a person at each end, release the end support arms set screws (black knobs) & manually raise the awning to the desired height & tighten the set screws- be sure to leave the rear lower by about 6" than the front so the angle will run rain water off.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #4

Thanx - it is as you describe. None of my locking knobs will lock. The end rafters are frozen and won't move at all. The center rafter is the opposite and just spins.

Thanx again for the reply!
deanrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:34 AM   #5

looking at the picture you posted and googling, I'm not sure you have an A&E awning, you have a Carefree of Colorado - google Rafter VI awning. Unless the center "rafter" you have is an aftermarket support.
My A&E have no center support and the end supports don't look anything like in your picture.

Here is what my A&E Elite awning looks like. You can see the lever at the end.

You can see there is no center support

My end supports slide in a locking track, if yours are frozen and look like mine, some lobe will surely free it up.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, manual