Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Awning over the Driver's Window

I saw an awning over the driver's side window on a high end coach, but I've only seen that once. I'm here in the desert and I pulled down the privacy shade on the driver's window to keep the heat out and I was thinking how nice it would be to have that window awning. Has anyone done that on their Newmar? If so, do you have a picture of it when it is deployed and what it looks like in the stowed position?
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #2

Tomakat,

My plan to keep the heat outside is to go with Magna Shade on the the driver and passenger side windows.

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636, Cummins ISB
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think that the Magnashade will probably be the direction that I'll be going too, but my concern is potentially having the magnets attached to the windows being an eyesore??? Does anyone with the Magnashade have pics of what the magnets look like from the insides of their RV?
Old 11-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Tomakat,
My plan to keep the heat outside is to go with Magna Shade on the the driver and passenger side windows.
Since I have the power window that goes down on the driver's side and the magnet needs to be installed on the outside of the window in the lower corner, this will interfere with that window operation. I guess this means that it's not an option for me to cover the driver's window.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"tomakat".....Make sure you're not looking for a long term solution to a short term problem. Do you stay in the desert months at a time, or just an occasional visit. You can buy the Carefree window shades that bolt onto the exterior and roll down manually. My previous coach had them and they looked nice.

When we bought our 05 Diplomat, I ordered it with the MCD exterior snap on shades. I thought it was something I had to have because we use to stay two weeks at a time on boating trips. After buying the coach, we slowed down on our boating and rarely used them.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"tomakat".....Make sure you're not looking for a long term solution to a short term problem. Do you stay in the desert months at a time, or just an occasional visit. You can buy the Carefree window shades that bolt onto the exterior and roll down manually. My previous coach had them and they looked nice.
I have to travel to Las Vegas on a frequent basis due to a variety of industry specific and/or software related conferences. I also need to travel to Palm Desert to visit a relative in an assisted living situation. Since they can be anytime of the year and I've already experienced Las Vegas for a week in 100 plus degree weather, I'm looking at all my options.

As for the Carefree shades, when you say they "bolt onto the exterior", do you mean snaps that need to be installed in the exterior fiberglass wall?
Old 11-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
IN my photo, the tan shades are Carefree shades that bot on and roll up under tension. They look nice, but may not look right over the driver's window.

The black shades on the windshield and driver's window are MCD shades. They have metal snaps at the four corners. You snap the upper corners on. The bottom corners have a triangular piece of Velcro that snap on. Once the top is snapped into place, the Velcro allowed you to set the two bottom corners perfectly so that the shade always fit perfectly.

I really liked the way these shades looked, but they took some effort (ladder) to install.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:18 PM   #8

I have the MCD shades and find, since they are installed outside the window, that they reduce the heat a great deal while still allowing one to see out. While a bit of a pain to install, as Dutch Star Don says, it doesn't take long. If you are staying one place for several days or weeks they are well worth the small inconvenience.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Side Note: I would have to use a ladder to install the shades, but I used my awning arm (rod) to reach up and gently pop the snaps loose when removing them.....so only once with the ladder.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #10

tomakat,
My wife made our Magnashade knock offs. So, I'm not sure if we have the same magnets. The attached pics shows what ours look like on the entry door.
Ours look great and work great. Really help keep the heat out. To me the magnets are not a great eyesore, but that's a personal preference.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151114_132930_resized.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	111882

Name:	20151114_131445_resized.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	111883
Attached Thumbnails