Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #1

B&B model 571 vaccum Break

Black tank flush line has a vaccum breaker that leaks lot of water inside coach. Why do I need this part it seem like unreliable part. Why should I not delete it with pipe fittings?
woody6244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2020, 03:03 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
It prevents contaminated water from the black tank flush from flowing backwards out the flush connection in the wet bay and allows the water in the line after the vacuum break to flow down into the tank. Replace it with a brass version which is more robust and reliable.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #3

You need it so black water in your black tank doesn't siphon out of the black tank, back down the flush line and into the RV park's fresh water supply or possibly your fresh water tank/system.

It is easy to replace. When you do, use a brass vacuum break from a place like Home Depot. They are much more reliable than the cheap plastic versions. When you install it, also install a brass backflow preventer between the vacuum break and the black tank (prevents sewer gas from reaching your vacuum break). Do it right, once.

This is what the replaced brass parts look like once installed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20180220145134262.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	298704
Old 08-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Fat Chance do happen to have part/order numbers on the products you installed?
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:27 PM   #5

No, I just went into the plumbing department at Home Depot and found the appropriate 1/2" brass pipe fittings by asking the old guy who works there. Ask for a 1/2" brass vacuum break, a 1/2" brass backflow preventer, a 1/2" male by 1/2" male brass adapter and some pipe dope or Teflon tape. Show the guy the picture I posted and he will know. They are standard, readily available plumbing parts available at any plumbing supply source anywhere. Under $20 at the most and easy, just install using the existing PEX connectors (vertical is input, horizontal is output to black tank). When you install the brass backflow preventer, make sure the arrow points to the black tank (away from the vacuum break). 20 minute job, tops.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #6

I eliminated mine after several failures and resulting messes! I just used a shark-bite one way valve between the flush line and the tank. I understand the purpose of the vacuum breaker (and the code that requires it). But the black water isn’t going to siphon backward through a valve, couldn’t get into the fresh tank anyway as there is no connection to it and isn’t a risk to the shore water system as I only flush while I’m standing there doing it. The one way valve is FAR less failure prone than the vacuum breaker anyway.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:01 AM   #7

The cheap plastic vacuum breaks installed in RVs also have a built-in backflow preventer. They use both for good reasons. Vacuum breaks fail (that is what this thread is about). And backflow preventers fail as well, there are many threads here about that. The two different valves do two separate functions so having both is a good idea. Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1540389549287.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	298782