Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #1

Angry Backing out of a RV site

Be very careful who you decide to accept instructions from when backing out of your campsite. Not all your neighbors have a clue, yet, because they are nice people, sometimes, we accept their willingness to help without thinking through the situation. How do I know this you ask, take a look at the front right side bumper, just in front of the curbside door. All I needed was an additional foot of clearance from the yellow pole the campground thought I needed for some reason. The damage to my fiberglass front cap can be fixed but could have been avoided had I followed my normal procedures and relied on my backup camera and mirrors instead of someone's hand signals. The good news, he admitted he didn't see the yellow pole. The bad news, the repair costs come out of my pocket.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tizzyfit,
Sorry to hear about the mishap. Consider trying this method.
1. The coach is square to the road.
2. Depending on which way you want to face in the road turn the steer tires 1/4 turn in the direction you want the drive axle to go.
3. Hold this 1/4 turn as you back out.
4. When the drive axle goes over the curb turn the steer tires as far as possible watching the front corner of the coach. If there is no curb, you will need a spotter and an agreed to spot for them to signal you to fully turn.
5. This should place you nicely in the street.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #3

No picture.
I always depend on DW. Even in resorts that require thier personnel to park you my DW will ne near them and in my line of sight. If there is any concerns she will give me the stop signal and well discuss what is happening.
I have learned the hard way to ALWAYS pay attention DW.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
No picture.
I always depend on DW. Even in resorts that require thier personnel to park you my DW will ne near them and in my line of sight. If there is any concerns she will give me the stop signal and well discuss what is happening.
That is one of our no compromise rules followed by ... if I don't see DW, I come to a screeching halt. No if's and not but's ... period.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:29 PM   #5

Took my wife to RV Driving School a couple of weeks ago and Steve the instructor went over this quite well.
Either one of us can direct or drive and we now use only Full Steer maneuvers when backing in.
Also learned about the 6 Foot Rule.
This is a great help.
Hats off to the school.
Well worth the time (2 days) and money.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:17 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As much as some of these places want to direct you, I politely decline. They have no idea how wide your slide is or what will clear the power box when opened up. A guy in Quartzsite got real butt hurt when I declined his help and became a little pissy. We talked later and he heard my side as to why I don't allow anyone to help, except my wife, if needed.

Most people are amazed at the wheel cut of the coaches and how sharply they can turn into a site.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:55 AM   #7

I experienced a campground employee who insisted on directing me backup into a spot. I let him, but Sharon was standing just behind him giving me the "real" directions. I could here him yelling "turn the steering wheel this way and turn it that way". Once I was in the spot, he said "and that's how its done". Sharon just laughed afterwards knowing I was watching her hand signals and not listening to the employees constant yelling.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:59 AM   #8

On Friday, I leave for Camp Newmar on a solo run. Without my navigator/spotter I plan to be extremely careful when backing, etc. Other than looking very carefully at my cameras, mirrors, and getting out frequently to check, any other tips when going solo?
Old 07-18-2017, 06:11 AM   #9

Backing out of a RV site

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD1 View Post
On Friday, I leave for Camp Newmar on a solo run. Without my navigator/spotter I plan to be extremely careful when backing, etc. Other than looking very carefully at my cameras, mirrors, and getting out frequently to check, any other tips when going solo?

Whenever I'm alone, I use a simple rule. When in doubt, STOP, get out and look. Not only for obstructions but low hanging tree branches.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
As much as some of these places want to direct you, I politely decline. They have no idea how wide your slide is or what will clear the power box when opened up. A guy in Quartzsite got real butt hurt when I declined his help and became a little pissy. We talked later and he heard my side as to why I don't allow anyone to help, except my wife, if needed.

Most people are amazed at the wheel cut of the coaches and how sharply they can turn into a site.
I do pretty much the same , or just ignore them once they point out the site to me. A couple years ago a teenage girl drove the golf cart to our site....she drove into the site and I overshot the site slightly and intentionally due to the site configuration and in light of how I knew the rear wheels would track-- she started to freak out, not knowing how sharp I could turn the RV into the spot. Once she saw how I got it in in one smooth maneuver, she settled down-- I don't need help from someone who probably doesn't even have a drivers license.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I do pretty much the same , or just ignore them once they point out the site to me. A couple years ago a teenage girl drove the golf cart to our site....she drove into the site and I overshot the site slightly and intentionally due to the site configuration and in light of how I knew the rear wheels would track-- she started to freak out, not knowing how sharp I could turn the RV into the spot. Once she saw how I got it in in one smooth maneuver, she settled down-- I don't need help from someone who probably doesn't even have a drivers license.
Would that have been a KOA campground maybe in Kansas off of I-70?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:29 AM   #12

It appears to me, the 360 degree camera system Newmar is offering as an option would have solved most of these events. Solution, install 360 camera system ...Happy Traveling
TravelnFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My late DW would never help with backing so I learned not to depend on anything but my mirrors and backup cam.
But when at a rally I will let them help me park. They are experienced in MH's and have the space outlines in their sight.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #14

I've got another one for you . . . I took a ferry ride with my truck and very large 5th wheel toy hauler (last camper) and while pulling on had some idiot kid deck hand in charge of giving me directions for parking. Due to the size of our vehicles he put me center of boat next to bridge tower. I KNEW i was getting directed too close to the tower but when I started to balk at his directions he got visibly agitated and kept motioning me closer. BAM! the awning and roof ran right into the tower.

Needless to say I was some all kind of upset. It turned out the captain of the ferry witnessed the entire event and knew who i was (close to home). She filled out a report, admitted it was their issue and they covered the repairs.

Be VERY careful from who you take directions. Most people are clueless about what is going on, where to look, what to watch out for.