RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #1

Angry Backup Camera Removal - Considering a Sledge Hammer

I originally posted this http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/trip-...ue-441259.html regarding a problem I was having with the backup display. The Image appeared to be fine but the Trip Teck data was scratchy and distorted. A tech at Trip Tech said that a degraded image signal from the backup camera could be the problem. I thought he was wrong because I could bypass the computer and the image was fine. On a recent trip the monitor was getting darker and darker. This lead be to believe the monitor was going out. By the time I got to my destination the screen was almost completely black. I had a Voyager VOM618 which is discontinued so I found a new Voyager AOM713 which fits perfectly in the dash space. Hooked it up and TaDa! It looks exactly like the old display, almost black. DAMN! I know the new display is operational because sometimes vague dark images from the backup camera display. So obviously the next step is the camera itself. If I wasnít smarter than the Voyager Tech to begin with, I might have tried this step first. Note to self.

Here is my problem. Iíve tried to read everything posted regarding removing and replacing the backup camera. Several have stated that I should be able to pull the cable out the 3 feet or so to reveal the connection. Iíve tried pulling from the outside on the wire pretty hard it does not move at all. Iíve read where some have removed the shoe rack from the back closet wall to access the wire, but I do not have this shoe rack. Iím considering cutting a square hole in the back closet wall, which would be the same wall where others have the shoe rack. This should give me access the wire and then I could replace the hole I created with one of those square plastic access hatches that are used for plumbing access. This would also make future camera removal easier. Iím just seeking some input before I start the process.

Iíve called Newmar customer service and they were of no help. I was told I should run a new cable. I asked, to run a new cable wouldnít I need access to the exact same area? They didnít seem to have an answer for that.

If anyone also has a suggestion for a replacement camera I would appreciate it.

Any input would be appreciated.

Davide33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #2

What Year/ Model / floorplan do you have? Put that in your signature line if you want easy assistance.
On my 2002MA 4370, I cut a hole above the motor and I can get into the rear cap to rewire the camera. Takes some dexterity but I don't have a problem getting in there.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #3

Thanks Dav L my unit is a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 3810
Old 10-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #4

Ok, your back cap looks quite a bit smaller than my MA. You can run a new cable. Look at the HVAC ducting as an easy way to go the majority of the length front to back. You might be able to take the rearmost air duct out to reach the back of the plenum. Then, cut a small hole init with a 1/2" drill. Use a fiberglass wire pull to try to go through the rearmost insulation to reach the camera. Some twisting and swear words and you might get out the rear camera hole (once the camera is removed).
Make sure you use Plenum rated cables in the HVAC for fire safety. And plug up the hole (that will have the cable in it).

You can take down speakers / HVAC ducts to access the front.

Sounds simple, will take hours of aggravation. But doable.

Before running a new cable...have you tried a new camera? A newer camera might be able to reuse the existing wiring. Should just be power / ground / video and shield for most analog cameras.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:28 PM   #5

Update: As you suggested, I also thought to try a new camera before replacing the cable. Since I was unable to pull the cable out the top I decided the simplest access to the cable was to cut a hole in the back wall. I was surprised to find the cable hanging loosely in the cavity. Apparently the cable would not budge because of the large amount of caulk used to seal the pass-through hole. I took some time but I was able to remove all the caulk. Once I did I realized the pass-through hole was a lot larger than expected and the cable could be pulled out far enough to expose the connector. No need for the hole in the back wall Since the hole was already there I remembered that a lot of the new units have a safe in the back wall. I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a small floor safe. I adapted it for wall use and installed it. I'm happy the way it turned out. Anyway, In the end once the new camera was installed the Trip Tech displays perfectly. A long road but a successful ending. Thanks for all the input I received.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8250.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	264965   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8266.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	264966  

Name:	IMG_8267.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	264967   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8272.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	264968  

Old 10-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #6

PS. After doing a lot of searching online I replaced the camera with a Voyager VCMS17B LED Camera I purchased through Camping World Online. I was reasonably priced and does a great job.

https://www.campingworld.com/voyager...ra-112688.html
Old 10-27-2019, 08:47 PM   #7

The safe is a nice upgrade anyway.
How's the camera look on the outside of the rig? How's the video? How is it at night?
Old 10-31-2019, 04:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
The safe is a nice upgrade anyway.
How's the camera look on the outside of the rig? How's the video? How is it at night?
I was able to mount the camera where the old one was which conceals it behind a cover. I had to do a little workaround with the bracket to get it to fit but it worked. The video is great. I have not yet had a chance to view it at night because I can't keep the RV where I live (condo). As soon as I have a chance to view it at night I'll let you know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8281.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	265458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8282.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	265459  

Old 10-31-2019, 04:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davide33 View Post
I originally posted this http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/trip-...ue-441259.html regarding a problem I was having with the backup display. The Image appeared to be fine but the Trip Teck data was scratchy and distorted. A tech at Trip Tech said that a degraded image signal from the backup camera could be the problem. I thought he was wrong because I could bypass the computer and the image was fine. On a recent trip the monitor was getting darker and darker. This lead be to believe the monitor was going out. By the time I got to my destination the screen was almost completely black. I had a Voyager VOM618 which is discontinued so I found a new Voyager AOM713 which fits perfectly in the dash space. Hooked it up and TaDa! It looks exactly like the old display, almost black. DAMN! I know the new display is operational because sometimes vague dark images from the backup camera display. So obviously the next step is the camera itself. If I wasn’t smarter than the Voyager Tech to begin with, I might have tried this step first. Note to self.

Here is my problem. I’ve tried to read everything posted regarding removing and replacing the backup camera. Several have stated that I should be able to pull the cable out the 3 feet or so to reveal the connection. I’ve tried pulling from the outside on the wire pretty hard it does not move at all. I’ve read where some have removed the shoe rack from the back closet wall to access the wire, but I do not have this shoe rack. I’m considering cutting a square hole in the back closet wall, which would be the same wall where others have the shoe rack. This should give me access the wire and then I could replace the hole I created with one of those square plastic access hatches that are used for plumbing access. This would also make future camera removal easier. I’m just seeking some input before I start the process.

I’ve called Newmar customer service and they were of no help. I was told I should run a new cable. I asked, to run a new cable wouldn’t I need access to the exact same area? They didn’t seem to have an answer for that.

If anyone also has a suggestion for a replacement camera I would appreciate it.

Any input would be appreciated.
As for your signature, I looked in your profile and you have a signature already, I'm not sure why it's not displaying?

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, led, removal