Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 09:52 PM   #1

Bad odor from washer

The washer in our 2018 DS 4018 has a foul odor and moisture condenses on the clear plastic portion of the door. It appears the the moisture is getting into the washer via the sink drain, but not sure about that. Washer door is open when coach is in storage and the odor goes away. It comes back when the sink is used. The washer has not been used in months due to Covid 19.

Any thoughts on what is happening would be appreciated. I’m guessing the dryer and washer will have to come out to get to the problem and it isn’t obvious what steps are needed to do this and if this is a job that is difficult enough to that professional help is required. Thoughts/Ideas, suggestions please.
trafman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 10:18 PM   #2

Try running a load through the washer.

Full time and do not run the washer when dry camping. Noticed an odor problem but when I got to a place with hook ups and did a load the odor went away.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:29 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Make sure the drain/strainer is clean. It's that door at the bottom right corner of the machine.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:25 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bad odor from washer

Trafman .... your problem is simple evaporation. The washer has a p-trap in the drain line specifically to block system odors from drifting up into the washer and thus into your home. When in regular use the trap will remain full of water between cycles, thus blocking odors. Not in use, the trap water evaporates, opening your laundry drain line to the entirety of your drain system.
If you’re not going to be using it often, just run a quick wash cycle- no soap, just run the wash. That will fill up the trap. Or, if you can access the rear of the machine, just pour a quart of water down the drain tube. Repeat as necessary, maybe once a month?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:06 AM   #5

I recall someone else had a similar problem. Maybe You Me and The RV (Stacey?), I think but not 100% sure. Anyway, they had to access a filter that was a bit of a doozie and they found a sock blocking. Maybe you have a filter that needs cleaning as well. Read your manual and check it out. Also yes the P Trap drying, but do check your manual or online manual for your model and find out where there is a filter. I know we think of dryer filters but I believe there is one in your washing machine as well that needs periodic maintenance.

Let us know, in case I'm barking up the wrong tree so to speak.

Just googled and this is answer I got: Most washing machines will have a filter – you can find it at the front of the washing machine, behind a small hatch. It is essential that you regularly clean this filter, as it will collect everything from lint to hair, coins, tissues and more.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:49 AM   #6

2X on the P trap being empty.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:16 AM   #7

Google "front loading washer odor" and you'll get dozens of articles and videos. Pretty much the nature of the beast. I have never heard of any kind of long term solution.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:12 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
All of the above to check/do plus, check the door seal for mold/mildew buildup. Mostly on the bottom.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:38 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Just put a gallon of water in the tub and run the spin cycle for a few secs. Problem will be gone.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Google "front loading washer odor" and you'll get dozens of articles and videos. Pretty much the nature of the beast. I have never heard of any kind of long term solution.
X2 on this.
We are going back to a top loader. Not sure if we could do this on a RV.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:21 AM   #11

After every load I dry the inside of the door and the door seal. If you notice, the seal has a deep groove between the door and the tub. You can easily use a small dish towel and dry the deep groove. Quite a bit of water stands there. After putting the clothes in the dryer, I leave the washer door open slightly. Shut the door after the dryer is finished. I have not noticed any smells using this process. Depending on humidity, the door may have some condensation the next day. We use our washer and dryer daily.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:51 AM   #12

You can order “refresh” for front load washers on Amazon. Use it once per month to clean the inside and the rubber seal. Keeps it clean and mildew free. I agree with the p trap remedy also.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:03 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have had the same problem with smell from the washer after storage and found it’s the p-trap drying out. Just a wash load and it should stop.
Cidmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #14
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
FWIW I just had my Splendide out a few weeks ago and called Westland Sales on a question.

After I got my answer I asked him why the factory wrapped the discharge hose and drain pipe with what looked like butyl tape, as I was under the impression that it needed air to drain properly. His reply was that he asked Fleetwood about it and the reply was they were getting complaints about odor and the P-trap was drying out during light usage. Fulltimers weren't having a problem.

I never had a odor issue, just a leak due to Fleetwood's poor install of the plumbing

Tags
odor