Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #1

Bag inflation problem

When airing up, my system pressure is normal...about 120 psi... in a min or 2 but the front and rear bags do not inflate....UNLESS I take off the parking brake and put it in reverse, then back to N and parking brake on...I havent tested to see if they will fill just by releasing the P Brake. Once I do this, the bags fill and are ready to go in about 2 minutes...any ideas where to look?
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2010, 08:25 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi footdoc,
You may have the same situation as I have. If my coach has been sitting with air dumped and the jacks up and I start the engine, my bags will not inflate. Air PSI is at normal running PSI, but no air in the bags. If I lower the jacks and raise the coach a bit, then store the jacks, like magic, the bags fill. Spartan said the correct procedure for startup is:
1. start engine
2. wait about 5 seconds
3. store jacks.
This has worked for me.

The reason I mention this is that by releasing the brake, shifting and engaging the brake the coach may create enough vibration to tell the system the bags need air.

The actuators that tell the system the bags need air are not adjustable. I've done everything I know of to insure the actuators are working correctly, but I must still follow the above mentioned procedure to fill the bags.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #3

If the coach just happens to be sitting perfectly level then the Air Spring valves would be sitting at their 'neutral' position - which means no air in, no air out. Any motion that would alter the level of the coach would result in one or more of the valves calling for air.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
1. start engine
2. wait about 5 seconds
3. store jacks.
This has worked for me.
Same here. The air bags on my 2005 Dutch Star won't inflate until I press the store button (or move forward). My 2000 DSDP would always inflate no matter the circumstances. I talked to Spartan and they said my air bags are working as designed. Alway press the store button.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
Same here. The air bags on my 2005 Dutch Star won't inflate until I press the store button (or move forward). My 2000 DSDP would always inflate no matter the circumstances. I talked to Spartan and they said my air bags are working as designed. Alway press the store button.
Same here.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I wonder if the HWH system thinks the jacks are not stored. I think
trying to move the coach overrides the HWH and airs the bags up, then again I have the active air ride system on my coach.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #7

I would agree. It sounds like the HWH jack sensor is sending the wrong message. If you have your jacks down, the coach will not air up.

Peter
Old 10-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #8

the rest of the story....

I called Spartan today...they recommended I change the air dryer...it's over 4 yrs old...they said that will dry out the system better and the air dump valve would work better, as they thought it might be sticking...I changed the dryer and then realized what you guys are telling me...what I was doing was parking in the garage and dumping the air...then when the time came, I'd start the engine, expecting the bags to inflate...well...I would never push the store button...DUH....the coach was simply waiting for my input and I was waiting for the bags to fill...sort of a stand off!!...I guess any action with the intent of moving....release parking brake or put in gear ...would send a message to the bags that it's time to go to work and fill them up...I tested it 5 times today and as of now seems to have resolved the issue....
Old 10-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Not to change the subject did you have trouble replacing the dryer filter? I bled ALL the air out of the system and tried to get it loose and broke a frabric stap wrench in the process.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #10

I first tried it with a standard filter wrench that barely bit into it....no go...BUT I didn't think to bleed the air first...so went and bought a rubber strap wrench and tried it...it was VERY hard to turn..then thought of bleeding the system...after that, it seemed almost finger tight and the small filter wrench probably would have worked. I greased up the rubber gasket and center threads before replacing....Spartan's location makes it really easy!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I just ran into this situation today. We went boondocking at a race this weekend. Got there Friday. Dumped the bags and then set the jacks. This morning I got up, turned the key to on (engine not started). Hit the store button to raise the jacks. Once they were stored I started the engine and the front bags came up slowly but the rears would not inflate. Tried dumping some air again and hitting the store button again several times. Rear bags still would
not inflate. Thought we were stuck for sure. I finally put in gear, released the PB and rolled it forward just a bit. When I went back out to check they had finally filled up. I am not sure what really made them finally come up. This is then second time we have been out with it and both times the rear bags did not want to fill.
rcatter is offline   Reply With Quote