Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2023, 05:47 PM   #1

Baggage Doors

For those of you that have recently traded into a newer Newmar, what is your overall impression of the new and improved baggage door latch system vs the previous version? Every season I adjust my doors to nearly perfect and just as soon as we get miles on the coach, a few doors will become more difficult to close. I was wondering if there was a way to retrofit the new hardware onto my patio side doors and the waterbay? I have a 2019 Dutchstar 4326.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2023, 09:21 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
It's not the latch, it's the new gaskets. I looked at a 2023 DS and it is awesome. I had inquired about it several months ago and got wrong info on the part numbers. There is another thread that has more info about it.
I hate my baggage doors.
Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 09:38 AM   #3

We just picked up a new 2022 Ventana from a dealer and several of the doors were really had to close. I ask to have them adjusted and was told that is the way Newmar wants it, BS. I talked with Newmar and that statement was untrue. It was an easy fix, the striker bars the latch locks on were so loose they slide all the way back in their adjustment. Repositioned them and tightened the blots holding them in place and perfect nice tight seal but no damaging the doors to get them closed.
VentanaOdyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 12:20 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The part number for the new door seals is #163583. However, it takes two seals. The 163583 is the piece that goes around the baggage door frame and is attached in the same manner as the old seal. However, during testing, Newmar found that road water (rain) could force its way up from the bottom of the baggage door and force its way past the seal. They added a second seal running along the bottom of the baggage door to prevent water intrusion.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 03:03 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The part number for the new door seals is #163583. However, it takes two seals. The 163583 is the piece that goes around the baggage door frame and is attached in the same manner as the old seal. However, during testing, Newmar found that road water (rain) could force its way up from the bottom of the baggage door and force its way past the seal. They added a second seal running along the bottom of the baggage door to prevent water intrusion.
Thanks Don! I am going to order some of the seal. I know there was discussion on who made this seal and possibly finding a better source for the seal without the Newmar penalty. At any rate, the first time I worked a 2023 DS door I was in heaven.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:00 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Don, it appears the seal you used is different than the one I filmed (2023) Dutch Star last Fall.

video
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/mCrAS_oSZzQ

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 11.54.58 AM.png
Views:	35
Size:	862.8 KB
ID:	390627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 11.58.45 AM.png
Views:	29
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	390628  

Old 05-02-2023, 11:19 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Update: The seal that I photographed was used early in 2023 production, and the one DDD mentioned is what Newmar settled on. I did my doors and it's a HUGE improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninar View Post
Don, it appears the seal you used is different than the one I filmed (2023) Dutch Star last Fall.

video
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/mCrAS_oSZzQ

Old 05-02-2023, 01:56 PM   #8

Part number? Price? Does it leak water?
Guidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 02:19 PM   #9

Following
SeeAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 03:40 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I changed my seals out on all my doors. They now close like butter. No more slamming. The part number I listed above is from Newmar. "Johninar" found the company that supplies Newmar and I'll let him post that information. The seals will run between $3 - $4 a foot depending on where you get it. My 40' took about 125 feet plus the cost of the two rolls of rubber.

When they installed the new seals, they had some issues because they're softer and some water forced its way up into the bottom of the bay when driving in the rain. Newmar added a second seal along the bottom. I didn't buy that seal. Instead, I bought two rolls of this 1/8" rubber which is 5" wide. I slit it lengthwise into 2.5" wide strips. I needed one and half rolls to do my 40' coach.

I cleaned the square tubing under the bay doors with a scotch brite pad and then wiped them down with either alcohol or OOPs. I took the strips and applied Weldwood Contact Cement to the frame and the rubber. I waired 10 minutes and then installed the rubber to the frame. The rubber blocks any water being thrown up. I don't know if you really need to do it under all the doors, but I did.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

The seals themselves are a direct replacement for the old ones. Starting at the middle bottom of each bay door frame, I slipped the seal over the frame and when I got to a corner, I cut the outside edge of the rib that goes over the frame, with tin snips, so it would make the turn. Before pressing it in place, I squeezed some silicone a couple of inches in each direction at the corner and then pressed the seal on. The entire job goes pretty quick.

Once I was done, I had to readjust almost all the doors as they closed better, and I had a few that stuck out from the side of the body that are now flush.

As far as mods go, this is one of the nicest mods/repairs that I've done to my coach. After the install, my coach sat through the record rain we had in California, with the slides closed, and not a drop got past the seals.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:05 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I can't tell you how happy I am with this mod. One of the best things I've done with the coach.

The seal part number from Newmar is 163583 $3.61/ft

The only source currently is through Newmar. I purchased the last 40 feet from the manufacturer. They are not scheduled to make another production run till late summer or early fall.

MFG info
Part number DU-165 $3.00/foot plus freight

UNI-GRIP

Allyssa Kessler
Customer Service Coordinator
9823 State Highway 53 North
Upper Sandusky, Ohio 43351
Ph: 419-294-2358 Ext. #113
https://uni-grip.com/

Old 05-08-2023, 07:32 AM   #12

Quote:
I changed my seals out on all my doors. They now close like butter. No more slamming. The part number I listed above is from Newmar. "Johninar" found the company that supplies Newmar and I'll let him post that information. The seals will run between $3 - $4 a foot depending on where you get it. My 40' took about 125 feet plus the cost of the two rolls of rubber.

When they installed the new seals, they had some issues because they're softer and some water forced its way up into the bottom of the bay when driving in the rain. Newmar added a second seal along the bottom. I didn't buy that seal. Instead, I bought two rolls of this 1/8" rubber which is 5" wide. I slit it lengthwise into 2.5" wide strips. I needed one and half rolls to do my 40' coach.

I cleaned the square tubing under the bay doors with a scotch brite pad and then wiped them down with either alcohol or OOPs. I took the strips and applied Weldwood Contact Cement to the frame and the rubber. I waired 10 minutes and then installed the rubber to the frame. The rubber blocks any water being thrown up. I don't know if you really need to do it under all the doors, but I did.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

The seals themselves are a direct replacement for the old ones. Starting at the middle bottom of each bay door frame, I slipped the seal over the frame and when I got to a corner, I cut the outside edge of the rib that goes over the frame, with tin snips, so it would make the turn. Before pressing it in place, I squeezed some silicone a couple of inches in each direction at the corner and then pressed the seal on. The entire job goes pretty quick.

Once I was done, I had to readjust almost all the doors as they closed better, and I had a few that stuck out from the side of the body that are now flush.

As far as mods go, this is one of the nicest mods/repairs that I've done to my coach. After the install, my coach sat through the record rain we had in California, with the slides closed, and not a drop got past the seals.
Hey Don
Can you show a pic of the bottom seal you added and why did you decided not to use the one from Newmar?
Also, I’m sure you know but 3m makes a great weatherstripping adhesive. We call it “gorilla snot”. Very tacky and sticks to anything. Only bad thing is it’s yellow in color so need to be careful when applying.
Thanks!!
NewmarDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:46 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I didn't want to go through Newmar for the second seal. I don't even know what it looks like. I bought a roll of rubber, 5" wide on Amazon. I needed 2.5" wide rubber but couldn't find any. I took the 5" rubber and slit it lengthwise.

I used to use that 3M yellow death in my old dirt bike days. I found that the Weldwood Contact cement works well and is easier to use. It gets tacky and then sticks immediately.

Using the 2.5" rubber, part of it sticks to the frame and the other part extends into that curve that is on the bottom of the bay doors. I'm guessing that you would only need it a few feet behind the wheels. I ran it wheel well to wheel well. I didn't change out the seals on the DEF and battery door on the rear passenger side.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:21 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar parts went to production and got measurements of a 23 4369. Below is a picture of the secondary seal. I needed roughly 150’ of primary and 50’ of secondary….secondary seal has 3M adhesive attached……..the mod is roughly $600 with free priority shipping and no sales tax…..
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5937.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	392606
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, doors