Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2021, 05:14 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFSB View Post
I added hold backs to the doors; so if they pop open - it’s only a few inches:

Attachment 320606

That's the best idea!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
You get comment of the day bro! ☮✌🏻️
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2021, 05:22 PM   #58

Damon Owners Club
Basement door open:

Yep happened once in 2000, same year started rving.
Driver side door open, trucker notified me on I-40 Texas panhandle.
Since then I always double check before pulling out, has never happened again. ( knock on wood).

QUOTE=txaggies1983;5664885]After driving 280 miles, we pulled into Bucees for diesel and DEF to find the passenger side back bay door wide open! Tool box gone. The door was NOT damaged after what we guess was open during most if not all of our trip. We were traveling at night and the auto lock is suppose to engage, but we don’t recall listening specifically for it upon departure. Thought it was automatic. We did the usual visual check to make sure everything looked flush, and it did. Nothing appeared to be open.
Has anyone else had this happen? A bay door open while traveling?
We do not have a sensor inside that indicates a bay door is not completely latched.
We will now have to add to our trip check to lock all bay doors, then go out and pull on all latches. This just seems bizarre!
We’d like to hear your thoughts, suggestions.[/QUOTE]
mr george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #59

I've had the doors come open about 6 or more times in the last 4 years. Most of the time I see it through my mirrors but sometimes other drivers have let me know. It seems it has been when we are on winding roads and the the motorhome flexes in the turns. I like the idea of having the external latch as well.
dhoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:40 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggies1983 View Post
After driving 280 miles, we pulled into Bucees for diesel and DEF to find the passenger side back bay door wide open! Tool box gone. The door was NOT damaged after what we guess was open during most if not all of our trip. We were traveling at night and the auto lock is suppose to engage, but we don’t recall listening specifically for it upon departure. Thought it was automatic. We did the usual visual check to make sure everything looked flush, and it did. Nothing appeared to be open.
We do not have a sensor inside that indicates a bay door is not completely latched.
We will now have to add to our trip check to lock all bay doors, then go out and pull on all latches. This just seems bizarre!
We’d like to hear your thoughts, suggestions.
WVe a side door that has swung open while breaking. Fortunately it swings on a vertical plane and hinged on the forward side. Never have lost anything due to its opening. I manually lock all the doors now and no more issues. No auto locks on our 2011 Winnebago.
Roadhogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:03 PM   #61

Location: Mostly traveling. Several months spent on the Oregon Coast.
Bay door opening

Had it happen twice in 8 years. First time I looked in my mirror while on the bridge over to South Padre Is. Door was open but nothing came out. The second time I was in a dealer for service for several weeks. When we went to pick up the coach they were washing it. I did not check the doors before leaving and one came open on the freeway in a construction zone and hit a K rail at 55 mph. Metal and insulation everywhere. Dealer paid to repair since his crew did not tightly close the door. Now I pull on the bottom of the doors especially since the Newmar latches do not close easily.
Clint11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:21 PM   #62

It happened to me coming into Hungry Horse Montana on Hwy 2. The bridge over the river was quite bumpy and a curve to the left caused the basement slide latch to open and consequently break the door latch. It was afternoon on the 4th of July and a Montana state trooper promptly pulled me over with his siren. When I looked in the passenger side rear view mirror and saw the tray extended, I must have looked real stupid. Only lost a few items, no tools. I subsequently fixed the latch on the slide so it could never happen again. 2001 Mountain Aire 4095 Spartan.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:55 PM   #63

never for me...yet.
but i have seen many i item on the side of the freeways that had fallen off a truck, rv, car, etc.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:09 PM   #64

Yes, had the left 2nd front (propane) door pop open 1 time.
Not sure if it was my error other not .
It is also the only for without a keylock.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:52 PM   #65

Another Yes

Yep, learned this the same way you did our first year in 2014.

Every time we leave I walk both sides and pull on each door.

Has not happened since.

Had a similar issue with our steps not retracting when the motor was failing.

I now check that they pull all the way in each time I close the door before we leave just in case.

Trucker flagged me down when they were hanging out after we went through construction and it was a miracle I didn't hit a cement barrier with them.

So, grateful he took the time to let me know.
autotrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:21 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushy View Post
...Implementing a predeparture checklist is crucial for old boomers like my wife and me.
Bushy,

It has nothing to do with age. I've been using checklists since I first flew an airplane. I was 22 years old.

-- Loren
Old 03-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #67

Mine opened while merging on to the highway and I lost my favorite socket and wrench set. It was on top of my tool box so it slid right out. Don't know why they waited so long but we had no idea till somebody waved us over like half hour later. I had closed up all the doors for our trip by my wife went in for some reason and didn't latch it back up. I still miss the set as my newer one isn't as good. I try not to make her feel bad about it.
Sail Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:31 PM   #68

Bay Door Opening While Travelling

We once needed adjustment of our locking mechanism on the electrical compartment door which opened horizontally, as yours probably does. After the work, the tongue of the lock was barely engaging the coach but caused no problem EXCEPT when there was pressure from the inside, as when the 50 amp. cord had not been coiled tightly enough to avoid any unravelling, causing pressure on the door. Several times, I forgot to coil the cord properly before travel and suffered the consequences. Luckily I never lost anything. I hope this helps you solve your problem.

Louis Wood
2006 Journey 36G

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggies1983 View Post
After driving 280 miles, we pulled into Bucees for diesel and DEF to find the passenger side back bay door wide open! Tool box gone. The door was NOT damaged after what we guess was open during most if not all of our trip. We were traveling at night and the auto lock is suppose to engage, but we don’t recall listening specifically for it upon departure. Thought it was automatic. We did the usual visual check to make sure everything looked flush, and it did. Nothing appeared to be open.
We’d like to hear your thoughts, suggestions.
lpmobilewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:03 PM   #69
sj

Happened to me twice. First time involved a half mile walk to retrieve my electric fry pan. After first time, I always checked.
2nd time, I allowed a friend to do the check. Bad idea.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:19 PM   #70

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Discovered my doors sometimes appeared latched & flush, but a tug on the bottom of them would reveal it has not latched. Sometimes the latch on the body of the coach/trailer needs a little adjustment over the years. Always give it a tug after closing.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door