Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #1

Basement Door Latch Cables

Skywatcher1 posted a very important problem that most likely applies to all late model Newmars but was posted here in the New Aire Observations thread.

Every basement door on the NA (and most likely other Newmar DP's) has one or two cable driven latches. When you pull the outside latch a cable pulls on the over center latch to open the door. This cable is attached via a fitting retained by a single Allen screw. If those Allen screws are not tight eventually the cable will pull out of the fitting making it impossible to open a basement door without some very difficult surgery explained by Skywatcher1 in the post noted.

I have had no latch failures (yet) but yesterday I took every basement door apart for an inspection. 80% of my Allen screws were loose. Four of these doors had cables just about to pull out of the fittings. Many of these cables had excessive play. In other words the cable was not tight between attachments. You can easily test for slack cables (which may mean they are pulling through the fitting because of a loose Allen screw). Simply pull on the latch. If the latch does not release as you first move the latch the cable has slack. I also found several stripped self tapping screws holding latches. The latches were actually moving on the door when closed.

As I moved around the coach repairing all the latches I thought about all the problems I would encounter on the road if one of those doors would not open. For instance, the DEF tank is behind one of those latches. There would be no way to fill the tank if the latch failed.

It takes a couple of hours to inspect and fix all the latches.

turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2018, 09:52 PM   #2

You can get cable retainers from various sites that will prevent the cable from passing through the latch assembly. We use them on Corvette hood release cables all the time.
Available from Zip Corvette: https://www.zip-corvette.com/63-82-h...p-w-screw.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mid Year Hood Cable retainers.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	206218  
Beach Aire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:56 AM   #3

You want to leave a little slack in the cable to ensure the latch is fully closed.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
You want to leave a little slack in the cable to ensure the latch is fully closed.
Correct. I found you have to rig the cable with the latch in the closed position, which will provide some slack open.

Doors work much better when these latches are properly rigged. Other than cable rigging I was amazed how many latches were loosely attached with either stripped self tapping screws or screws not properly torqued. My doors close and open much better now.

These little cables can really ruin a trip if you can't get a basement door open. Other than DEF door not being able to get to your tools would put you in a situation with a locked door and no way to get to the tools to fix the door as Skywatcher1 experienced.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:12 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I did check a couple on my 2018 DS and so far they were tight. The latch does have a cable put the mechanism appears different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6842.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	206254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6841.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	206255  

Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #6

I just looked at a friend's Holiday Rambler and his latch and handle are a single unit, so no cable between the handle and latch. Also the lock actually locks the latch, not just the handle. Anyone know why Newmar doesn't do it this way? After all the front door handle and latch is a single unit.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I just looked at a friend's Holiday Rambler and his latch and handle are a single unit, so no cable between the handle and latch. Also the lock actually locks the latch, not just the handle. Anyone know why Newmar doesn't do it this way? After all the front door handle and latch is a single unit.

Did he have power locks
Old 06-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Did he have power locks
No.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
No.

I think that will be the answer, this design accommodates the electric actuators
Old 06-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #10

If your latch cable is frayed you can order a new one from Newmar parts - they are only a few dollars. I had a couple loose cables and one pulled free and only need one to cause you a lot of grief since it locks you out of your baggage bay. I ordered a couple a latch cables and should get them this week. The cable retainers would work but you need quite a bit of excess cable and most of my cables did not have much excess to thread through a retainer.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher1 View Post
The cable retainers would work but you need quite a bit of excess cable and most of my cables did not have much excess to thread through a retainer.
Another reason you need excess is that there needs to be a little slack in the cable. If it is too tight pulling the door handle will open the door even in the locked position. Dialing in the cable tension requires repeat trial and error. Too slack and the door is hard to open or the other end of the cable can come out. Too tight and the door over center latch will open even when the door is locked.

Could be a better design.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Another reason you need excess is that there needs to be a little slack in the cable. If it is too tight pulling the door handle will open the door even in the locked position. Dialing in the cable tension requires repeat trial and error. Too slack and the door is hard to open or the other end of the cable can come out. Too tight and the door over center latch will open even when the door is locked.

Could be a better design.

I’m sure there is some variance with heat and cold that requires some slack
Old 06-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #13

On my 17 BayStar the cable for the electrical bay door broke. Fortunately that is a pass through bay. I was able to "suck it up" and crawl into the bay. I ripped 0 check set screws mentioned in OP. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180424_145537.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	206774Click image for larger version

Name:	20180424_150822.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	206775
CLB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:53 PM   #14

Not sure why narrative got truncated. I was able to tear the thin plastic cover off and trigger the latch with my finger to get the door open. The cable broke at midpoint with no obvious rub point. Maybe defective cable. Took all the other covers off to inspect cables and check set screws. Will leave covers off so can check cables frequently.
CLB2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, door