Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2022, 08:22 AM   #1

Basement High Temps and Ventilation Ideas

I searched the forum for the subject of Basement Ventilation and did not find much.

I have a 19 London Aire and I live in the desert and in the dead of summer the basement temps has gotten as high as 136 degs. With the inverter, slide out refrig and all the electronics down there it just heats up way to much, in my opinion. Has anyone done anything ventilation wise to help. Thanks.
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2022, 08:54 AM   #2
Official iRV2 Sponsor

You can open the doors on both sides to get some air flow. They bays are supposed to be sealed to keep debris and rodents out. How are you thinking of ventilating the bays? You can put a fan in there and plug it into the outlet.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:11 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I ventilated the bay on my 2014 DS. I used a 120 volt inline bathroom fan. The type that is part of the vent tube above the bathroom vent. I initially tried a computer fan, but it wasn't powerful enough.

I drilled a hole through the basement floor, just behind the Oasis unit in my 3/4 bay. I used 3" pvc as the piping. I capped the end, under the coach with a drain cap and screen. The pipe/fan were cut at a height about 4" below the roof of the bays, so I would be pulling heat off of the top of the bay and it cleared some of the bay walls. On that coach, I would just leave a bay door cracked. I plugged the unit into an outlet in the bay and left it running during summer trips.

I'm thinking about adding one to my 2019 DS. I'll probably do a similar install but will cut a vent between the battery wall and pass thru bay since the batteries (AGM) are open to air.

Something like this.....https://www.amazon.com/Hon-Guan-Extr...21&sr=8-5&th=1
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:30 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
I noticed the temperatures in my basement were reaching 130 degrees F I decided to install a ventilation system that would pull hot air from the basement near the basement ceiling and exhaust it through the basement floor. I decided an intake vent that would take in outside air would not help because outside Temps would be too hot. I installed a digitally controlled 6" blower that is ducted through the basement floor with a directional cap with bug and rodent screens and a back flow preventer in the duct, the fan is controled by a digital control with a temp and humidity sensor installed in the center of the basement. When the fan runs the basement gets air from around the drop floor from the living area of the coach so i can keep basement temps the same as the living area. The control can trigger on high temp, low temp, high humidity or low humidity, I have attached a photo of the fan and cotrol, as you can see the basement is 77 degrees while the outside temps are in the 90's. the system is powered by an inverted outlet so the system functions while driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210116_122710 (1).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	373973   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210116_122651 (1).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	373974  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210116_122726 (1).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	373975  
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 12:24 AM   #5

Thanks DSDon and Mrfix and I have to kinda laugh about the items you used Mrfix.

I have the exact AC Infinity fan and controller and the same damper door sitting in my garage (that I forgot about) I bought them a couple years ago for a project to cool the closet where my AV equipment is in my house that I never did it. Thank for the idea and I get to put the old stuff to good use.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:20 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Actually, I like "mrfix's" fix. It got me thinking. On the 4018 DS Freightliner chassis, there is a huge area between the fuel tank and wall of the pass thru storage bay. It can be easily seen by looking in the battery bay. On my 2014 DS I stored a blue sewer tote there for emergencies. I think I may investigate putting the fan there and run the pipe through the pass thru bay wall with an angle up near the inverter. The intake vent can be in the same area. That area of the coach stays cool near the fuel and is protected from the elements.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:19 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Awesome... I like that fan...

MrFix - So are you saying that you push air out the floor and air is pulled into the basement from the living area due to the various passthroughs between them?

When you drill through the floor, how thick is it? And is there an interior and exterior panel to cut through?

Thanks.
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:32 PM   #8

On my 34T Forza , as long as I use my A/C for the coach ,the basement gets cool air . Guess there is a duct for the air as will as heat .
Old 08-18-2022, 07:14 PM   #9

Current temp at our present location is 100 degrees. Basement is 93 degrees based on the sensors in the basement. Admit our Oasis is off until later this evening when we will need hot water. Have never had basement temps exceed 100 degrees in the last several years,
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:04 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
the basement floor is 11/2" thick, fiberglass top and bottom cored with closed cell foam, there is steel structure in the floor so you can use a magnet to find it. when the fan is running it puts the basement under negative pressure, one of my slides has a drop floor which will allow air to flow from the living area of the coach and cool the basement, since I installed the blower the basement stays at the control set point of 78 degrees, even on the hottest days, befor the fan it would often be well over 100 degrees on a hot day.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:06 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
On my 34T Forza , as long as I use my A/C for the coach ,the basement gets cool air . Guess there is a duct for the air as will as heat .

On many Winnebagoís there is a floor vent that is simply a pass-thru to the basement, so it helps in cooling the basement off in hot temps and heating in cold temps. My pass through vent is close to the passenger seat.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Actually, I like "mrfix's" fix. It got me thinking. On the 4018 DS Freightliner chassis, there is a huge area between the fuel tank and wall of the pass thru storage bay. It can be easily seen by looking in the battery bay. On my 2014 DS I stored a blue sewer tote there for emergencies. I think I may investigate putting the fan there and run the pipe through the pass thru bay wall with an angle up near the inverter. The intake vent can be in the same area. That area of the coach stays cool near the fuel and is protected from the elements.
That is a good idea, I am on a FL chassis also and have that same space. I going to look into that.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:18 PM   #13

Is this a problem? Havenít seen any posts with equipment failing due to basement heat. Mine gets pretty warm but all has been running just fine for the last five years. Maybe slide motors donít like the heat, replaced two of them.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:37 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
my concern from the begining with this coach was very warm basement temperatures, many days i saw over 120 degrees F, the aquahot, the two inverters and a bunch of electronics and no ventilation. Electronic equipment and heat don't get along in the long run so I installed the ventilation system. I plan on keeping this coach so I feel it will pay off. Another consideration is wine doesn't keep well in 100 degree plus heat. Most owners don't have or install basement ventilation, some have inverter issues and some don't. One thing I have noticed is my floors no longer feel warm, my fresh water is cooler and my air conditioners maintain more consistant temperatures probably due to cooler tile floors, I feel the whole coach benefits from the cooler basement.

Tags
vent