Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2020, 04:39 PM   #1

Angry Basement lights

2017 Essex. The basement lights stay on all the time. Called Newmar and a tech told me to look for an off/on switch, and there is not one. He checked with designer and told me that is the way they are designed, to stay on ALL the time. This just does not seem correct. Do any of you have same year and 1. Do you have an off/on switch inside coach? 2. Do your basement lights stay on all the time? 3. I have a small push button on each door that does absolutely nothing, do you have the same? Please note I have talked to Newmar and was told all this is normal, really? Why do the lights have to stay on>>all the time?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2020, 05:33 PM   #2

We have a 18 London Aire and our cargo light switch is on the passengers arm rest. The way they are suppose to work is if all the switch on each cabinet door are working when all doors are closed all lights will be off. If you wanted to check each cabinet switch to see that is working and if all are adjusted and working the lights will shut off. I have done this a couple times and two weeks later one is out of adjustment or isn't working and all the lights are on. We just use the switch to operate the lights when we want them on. Added some more lights so all cabinets have LED lights in them now.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Rodents like dark areas and keeping the lights on is a good way to keep them from making a home in your basement compartments, so maybe this is a good thing?
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:07 AM   #4

I had the same problem in my 2019 London Aire. Each door has a grounding switch that activates the lights when a door is open. They are mounted to the inside top of the door opening on the coach. Chances are one of the switches are out of adjustment, that corrected mine.
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sramer View Post
I had the same problem in my 2019 London Aire. Each door has a grounding switch that activates the lights when a door is open. They are mounted to the inside top of the door opening on the coach. Chances are one of the switches are out of adjustment, that corrected mine.
Same with me also.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:32 PM   #6

Mine have been fixed twice at Newmar. I didn't realize they had been staying on till I saw my electric compartment light had melted from staying on. I just added a on/off rocker switch in 1/2 bath cabinet with all the fuses/breakers. If i need lights I just turn that on instead of always wondering if lights are off. Not the perfect solution but it works.
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #7

Basement lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
We have a 18 London Aire and our cargo light switch is on the passengers arm rest. The way they are suppose to work is if all the switch on each cabinet door are working when all doors are closed all lights will be off. If you wanted to check each cabinet switch to see that is working and if all are adjusted and working the lights will shut off. I have done this a couple times and two weeks later one is out of adjustment or isn't working and all the lights are on. We just use the switch to operate the lights when we want them on. Added some more lights so all cabinets have LED lights in them now.
Newmar Man
I had assumed that when all doors are closed the lights would go out>>but according to Newmar they are supposed to stay on.. So then why do I have the switch at the top of each door. I have opened each door and pushed the switch and lights remain on.. So maybe have more than one switch either bad or in bad position. Any ideas on what and how to check if the switch is working<<some electronic tester.

I do not have a switch on passenger arm rest or anywhere else, I have searched and double checked and there is none to be found.

Thanks for all the help. Newmar was absolutely 0 help. I hope this does not become the new norm for Newmar.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovenewmar View Post
I had assumed that when all doors are closed the lights would go out>>but according to Newmar they are supposed to stay on.. So then why do I have the switch at the top of each door. I have opened each door and pushed the switch and lights remain on.. So maybe have more than one switch either bad or in bad position. Any ideas on what and how to check if the switch is working<<some electronic tester.

I do not have a switch on passenger arm rest or anywhere else, I have searched and double checked and there is none to be found.

Thanks for all the help. Newmar was absolutely 0 help. I hope this does not become the new norm for Newmar.

You have a closed switch that is stuck. It’s a bit of cat and mouse to hunt it down. Look for the one switch that is not making contact with the door. Newmar tech is smoking some Colorado gold, lights turn off when the doors are all closed.

Tags
light, lights