Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2020, 04:17 PM   #1

Basement Shelving - Who has added some?

While looking at some options with other Manufacturers, I have seen where shelving has been added in the storage bays to take advantage of the head space.

Has anyone added any?

I was thinking of adding some first above the Dometic refrig, to store some exterior carpets, and lighter weight items. you can't access the inside of the refrig without pulling out the tray, so why not utilize the space above the refrig?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0297_LI.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1,007.9 KB
ID:	275696  
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2020, 04:30 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Bchtravlr … Here is a link to the shelves I added in mine.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/201...ml#post4610239

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Okay...I'm not as talented of a woodworker as FLSteve, so I did something a little simpler.

If you go to Home Depot, they sell indoor/outdoor grey carpet that is a pretty close match to the carpet in the bays. In the same carpeting department, they sell 6' strips of 3/4" x 3/4" aluminum angle. Lastly, I picked up some 1/2 plywood and some 3M spray glue.

In that first bay where some have the freezer, I mounted the aluminum against the back and side walls with self tapping screws. I cut the plywood a little smaller than needed because it gets thicker when you cover it with the carpet. I used 3M heavy duty spray glue to attach it. I covered both the top and bottom as it makes it look richer.

When I mounted the aluminum, I mounted it so that when the shelf was installed, it hides the aluminum.

Another shelf method I've used in the past is the wire rack material for closets, also available at HD. I used small cable hold downs (loop with hole in the end) to attach them. Just slip the cable hold down around the wire of the rack and use a self tapping screw.

I actually added a wire rack under the wooden shelf I put in the freezer bay. I screwed it to the underside. It gave me a nice place for thin things like table cloths, jack pads, etc.

I also like installing the wire racks up high where the bottom of the rack is the same height as the bottom of the main frame rail. It gives you about 8" of storage up high.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:54 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Last weekend I completed a shelf for my ladder in the pass-thru bay on the drivers side right behind the batteries. The shelf "kneels" so you can get the ladder in there. Like Don I used some cheap indoor/outdoor carpet on 1/2" plywood. My L channel frame surrounds 3 sides of the shelf and some aluminum channel designed for 1/2" plywood makes the front edge.

There are a few obstacles on the ceiling that fit between the rungs in this configuration. There are holes in the middle of the shelf to strap the ladder down with velcro ties that Amazon delivered today so they aren't in the picture.

This works well for me because this ladder isn't something I use often. I can get on the roof with the Ventana rear ladder (those ancient 2019s still have them), and at home I have lots of better choices in the garage.

I almost completed the other side too before it got dark at the end of the weekend. I'll use that for outdoor rugs and holding the Magna Shades and such. I'll hopefully get that posted later this weekend.

- Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kneeling Shelf.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	359.9 KB
ID:	275713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2935 2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	275714  

RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:45 PM   #5

not to hijack the thread but... well I'm gonna

Has anyone considered two half depth trays so that the front half can be loaded full height on each side and the "middle bit" being under the frame rails, half height.

Trying to decide if shelves like noted are better or simply two half deep trays?
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:02 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveby View Post

Has anyone considered two half depth trays so that the front half can be loaded full height on each side and the "middle bit" being under the frame rails, half height.

Trying to decide if shelves like noted are better or simply two half deep trays?
I think it depends upon your coach and what you store in the basement. For example a 43' DS may have about 6' in width of pass-thru storage. You drop down to the 34' VT and you get 2' (The VT has 7" less basement for the same length see the wheelbases for proof). And it also depends upon the floorpan within the line - there are models where the passenger side slides prevent a full height basement.

If you have a lot of smaller stuff then shelves would allow you to access more of your stuff than if you had to unstack a full-height pile of 9" high bins.

I have a nice mix:
  • A narrow (~2') bay that is 3/4 depth without any tray (spare parts, stuff we don't use often all the way in, dog food near the front)
  • A full width 3/4 depth bay with a tray (dog fence panels all the way in, grill and accessories taking up the full height near the front)
  • A full width pass-through bay with a tray (tray has all of our lounge and beach chairs for 2 adults and 2 kids; now there are shelves above for other stuff)
  • The full height / width but shallow bay where the basement fridge can go

I did this project over the winter because I wanted to use the coach for a season and see what we actually pulled out and what we never used before I organized it all. There are a few things that I took out of the basement to do this project that are now on a garage shelf waiting for my next Goodwill trip.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #7

I added a shelf to a basement compartment and attached it to the passenger side frame rail.

This is the frame rail that holds the coolant hoses that run from the engine to the front heater.

And I drilled right through one of them.

Careful.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveby View Post

I actually tried to get Newmar to do this on the pass thru compartment as a special but it was declined. Instead I added shelves on both sides as well as the forward compartment above the freezer.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Okay...I'm not as talented of a woodworker as FLSteve, so I did something a little simpler.

If you go to Home Depot, they sell indoor/outdoor grey carpet that is a pretty close match to the carpet in the bays. In the same carpeting department, they sell 6' strips of 3/4" x 3/4" aluminum angle. Lastly, I picked up some 1/2 plywood and some 3M spray glue.

In that first bay where some have the freezer, I mounted the aluminum against the back and side walls with self tapping screws. I cut the plywood a little smaller than needed because it gets thicker when you cover it with the carpet. I used 3M heavy duty spray glue to attach it. I covered both the top and bottom as it makes it look richer.

When I mounted the aluminum, I mounted it so that when the shelf was installed, it hides the aluminum.

Another shelf method I've used in the past is the wire rack material for closets, also available at HD. I used small cable hold downs (loop with hole in the end) to attach them. Just slip the cable hold down around the wire of the rack and use a self tapping screw.

I actually added a wire rack under the wooden shelf I put in the freezer bay. I screwed it to the underside. It gave me a nice place for thin things like table cloths, jack pads, etc.

I also like installing the wire racks up high where the bottom of the rack is the same height as the bottom of the main frame rail. It gives you about 8" of storage up high.
I do have the freezer in the front compartment. How long of a screw can you use in the walls, not sure what is behind there. What about attaching to the metal rails with screws? Yes or no? I don't want to damage the structure in any way. I would be hesitant to drill in the main frame rails to attach anything but not sure about the small support rails.

Thank you
Mark
NoDents4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:21 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You can use a 1/2" or 3/4" self tapping screw. The back wall is wood, with the fuel tank behind it, but there is a big air gap. The front of the bay goes to the front tire.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:27 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
In the bay with the peg board we put this since our peg board had backing on it and couldn't install hooks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0115.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	275791  
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:30 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
The last compartment on the driver side we keep all the stuff we use to setup with.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	275792  
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:48 AM   #13

Here's a link to a thread that will give you some ideas.... the 14th entry is the way I did mine. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/bas...lf-265488.html
Old 02-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #14

Wooden shelf in basement

I just started this project today and should finish it in a day or two.

The shelf is 3/4" plywood aprox. 29" x 36" and is above the slide out tray in the first pass-through bay. I used three 3" L brackets on each side to support the shelf. The finished shelf will be covered with carpet and will have a 1-1/4" aluminum angle strip along the front edge. I'll send pictures of the final product.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shelf1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	275886   Click image for larger version

Name:	shelf2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	656.6 KB
ID:	275887  

Name:	shelf3.jpg