Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #1

Question Batteries

A question about batteries. I have had an AGM bat. as a house bat. in my comm. truck for 8 years. When I need to replace those in the MH I might do the same, but has anyone investigated Lithium Polymer or Lithium Titanate? They are supposed to have twice the power per pound without the problem of thermal runaway associated with Lithium Ion. Just wonderin'. Bob T
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #2

While you are technically correct, the current state of Li-xx for moho use is still a tad experimental. I'd love to switch..... But..... I'll wait just a couple more years...

BTW - AGMs can also have (very rare) thermal runaway issues... I've seen one on a Lifeline AGM and they practically came in person to get it back. The new Li concoctions have far, far less than the "older" Li blends almost to the point the new Li seem to be practically inert in that category. That is pretty nice.

Read through the following - very carefully. Have a large pocketbook handy and numerous reference gurus available. There is still a fair amount of rocket science and experimental "it's not supposed to do that" involved.

The current lithium-ion in an RV guru is Technomadia at:
http://www.technomadia.com/category/life-on-the-road/technology/lithium-ion/
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The LIthium batteries are still a bit on the expensive side, but then so is AGM in my book, considering that if your AGM lasted 8 years a cheaper flooded wet cell may well have gong 10 or more. AGM does have a few advantages in SOME cases though, Normally RV's are not on that list.

But more power per pound.. THAT... Is desierable, Very Very Desierable.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #4

Only AGM battery I run is under the seat on my Harley's. They don't last long without Battery Tender.

I use cheapest 6 volt flooded I can get and check level twice a year and spray white Lit grease on the terminals and forget about them. No corrosion and no problem. I use RO water to top off..
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have two AGM's for house and a 10 year old starter battery that hasn't missed a start yet.
The Bird System keeps them all fully charged with coach plugged into house outlet.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I've taken the plunge. Here's a quote from an unrelated post regarding my experiences with them:

Quote:
...and my coach batteries are 400AH total of Thundersky lithium iron phosphate batteries. The chassis battery is the original Motorcraft Lead Acid.

I used to have 1000AH of cheap AGM lead acid batteries as coach batteries, but their capacity was badly degraded after only a few seasons, so I replaced them last spring. I suspect I killed them by letting them get sulphated (still have them, are desulphating them and will be using them in a solar energy system in our house).

The nice thing about the Thundersky batteries is that they weigh about 180lb instead of 1000lb so the coach is now underweight again. I get more usable energy out of them as the old lead acid as they can be 80% discharged 3000 times before you lose significant capacity. I would only discharge my old batteries about 30% before recharging them and they still only lasted 3 years! They also have a great charging profile, taking max amps until almost 100% charged and do not require an absorption stage.

The bad thing is they cost over $2k (for 400AH at 12V) and they are only available from small EV (Electric Vehicle) suppliers, the one I used with was hard to deal with and would not recommend, his web page is no longer up so I assume he went out of business. Also they like to float at 14V, which should be a little high for the lead acid chassis battery when the BIRD connects them together. So far I've not had to water the chassis battery so maybe it's not.
Note I would not have used these if I could use flooded lead acid batteries, but I chose to install the batteries in a location that was good for weight distribution on the coach, also it would have been difficult to properly vent them and impossible to check electrolyte level.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries