Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2022, 11:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbwiii View Post
I have multiple issues going on, which I will address later I understand why house batteries are dead, but I do not know why chassis engine batteries are dead, any suggestions

I am currently charging engine batteries with a old school charger.
Put simply, there is a load on the chassis batteries. Youre going to have to figure out what is creating the load. That is going to take some hands on diagnosis.

For what length of time did the coach sit without power?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2022, 12:07 PM   #16

2021 DS 4081

Is there a disconnect on these models for the house batteries so external charging can be performed?

The chassis battery has on located next to the batteries.
Rbwiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:10 PM   #17

Quote:
2021 DS 4081

Is there a disconnect on these models for the house batteries so external charging can be performed?

Sorry, no idea if your coach has a main battery disconnect for the house bank (as opposed to the salesman switch which controls many house 12 VDC loads).

But, to use an external charger, you do not need the batteries disconnected.

Connect charger positive to the positive battery terminal with the large-gauge cable going to house and the negative lead to the negative terminal with large gauge cable going to coach ground. Exactly the same if you use a jump from another vehicle.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:07 PM   #18

Quote:
2021 DS 4081

The chassis battery has on located next to the batteries.
For what length of time have you owned the coach?
Did you buy it new? If so, did the dealer provide a Pre-Delivery Inspection to familiarize you with the features of the coach? Do you have an owners manual for the coach?
Old 05-08-2022, 01:15 PM   #19

My guess there was a surge and some thing went out.
Or, something was left on by accident.
Or, there is a high parasitic drain, I doubt that
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 02:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
For what length of time have you owned the coach?
Did you buy it new? If so, did the dealer provide a Pre-Delivery Inspection to familiarize you with the features of the coach? Do you have an owners manual for the coach?
I have owners manual but there underneath the bed storage and can't get to them at the moment
Rbwiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 05:04 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I have owners manual but there underneath the bed storage and can't get to them at the moment
On your coach, you will find that there are a number of sensors and systems that will draw 12vdc 24/7. This draw comes from the engine sensors and the house systems. If you lost shore power then you will eventually drain both chassis and house batteries. Once you get the coach started and both sets of batteries are fully charged, recommend you have a load test performed to ensure nothing was damaged when they completely discharged. For future reference, these newer coaches require shore power when stored and if you can deliver 30amp service to your coach, things will work a lot smoother while stored.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:10 AM   #22

Couple notes on storing a Dutch Star assuming your 2022 is unchanged from my 2015. If stored without shore power, with everything OFF including house power "salesman switch", inverter, etc. You'll have maybe 3 weeks & then dead starter batteries. As mentioned there is still draw on the starter batteries when you think all is off. You can and should use the starter batteries power cut off (big red knob) and disconnect them. If stored on shore power for a length of time (off season etc.) you can have the chassis batteries cutoff activated (meaning disconnected)and I'm nearly POSITIVE they will still received the charge from your system if you are on shore power. Remember you are not unhooking all of the battery connections just activating the cut off. Years ago after putting mine away for the winter (I have shore power) I did use the starter batteries disconnect & continued reading with my volt meter & I witnessed them charging. I typically see my coach in storage almost every day as it's at my business and losing power is not an issue so I don't bother disconnecting starters.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:10 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Same thing happened to me. I have a 2020 DSDP with 8 (6V) AGM Batteries. I assume you have the same. The batteries will not charge below 6.2 volts, per Harris Battery Company in Ohio. I called them and they actually answered the phone and helped me through this. You will need a battery charger that can "restore" dead batteries, by a process of desulfation. Check on Youtube for some help. Go to Amazon and purchase a NOCO Genius 10 amp charger. It will sense the charging mode needed to bring your batteries back. You will need to disconnect the battery banks into 4 separate 12V sections and charge two batteries at a time. (I used old tennis balls to isolate each section, so I did not have to remove the batteries. Each charge will take 4-8 hours to bring the batteries back to something over 6.2 V. After that your inverter will work to charge them back to a "float" state. If you can't wait for Amazon to deliver you can purchase a charger from Harbor Freight (Viking Battery) that will work also. I bought both. So far I have not seen any ill affects from this deep charge condition that would have killed a typical lead acid battery bank. Good Luck!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BobbyJ
2020 DSDP
State College, PA
Bobbyj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:43 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
I store mine outside with good Florida sunshine. Not plugged in. AGS off. Chassis batt switch on. Salesman switch off.

Small factory solar panel keeps chassis and house batteries up for months without problems.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:43 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Your engine alternator will charge the batteries if you can jump start the coach. However as mentioned a inverter/charges will not charge batteries below 8-10 volts. Then as mentioned once you are above where inverter charger picks up you can use it to top off.
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:31 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Hey, one thing I learned from Newmar is the small solar panel on the roof only serves the chassis batteries not the 8 AGM coach batteries.

That was a shock to me .

BobbyJ
Bobbyj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:54 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyj56 View Post
Hey, one thing I learned from Newmar is the small solar panel on the roof only serves the chassis batteries not the 8 AGM coach batteries.

That was a shock to me .

BobbyJ
That was my original understanding. However, I am seeing my house batteries going up on a sunny day (not plugged in). I had diagnosed my BIM to be bad and not isolating the chassis batteries. If I boondocked I could see the same drain on both chassis and house batteries down to 12v. This was a warranty item on my list. The dealer tested it and agreed. They said it was a bad BIM and replaced it. Now I see the solar charging the house batteries. Was hoping that was normal. Have not re-tested the BIM since the warranty replacement 2 weeks ago. I have a trip scheduled next week and will try to test again.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Hello, looking for a place to start. I keep the coach plugged in during storage. 120v 20 amp. Went out to ready the coach today and found coach and chassis batteries dead, 1.5 vdc.

Found the breaker had tripped. Reset breaker and found that the batteries wont charge.

There is a fault red light ON and the CHG blinks green. Display says low battery 1.5v. On the Magnum controller. When I plugged the coach in I can hear the contacter kick in at the inverter.

Another concern is why my chassis batteries are also dead, engine won't start.

Thanks

Ben
A 2022 coach!? First place to start is dealer/manufacturer for a warranty claim!
jaydee325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, dutch star