Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2022, 09:31 AM   #1

Batteries Dead 2022 Dutch Star

Hello, looking for a place to start. I keep the coach plugged in during storage. 120v 20 amp. Went out to ready the coach today and found coach and chassis batteries dead, 1.5 vdc.

Found the breaker had tripped. Reset breaker and found that the batteries wont charge.

There is a fault red light ON and the CHG blinks green. Display says low battery 1.5v. On the Magnum controller. When I plugged the coach in I can hear the contacter kick in at the inverter.

Another concern is why my chassis batteries are also dead, engine won't start.

Thanks

Ben
Rbwiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2022, 09:35 AM   #2

No, a smart charger or smart inverter/charger will not attempt to charge a deeply discharged battery.

You will need an automotive (stupid) charger to start the process.

OR, jump from your toad until voltage is high enough for the smart charger to take over.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Some battery chargers under a certain voltage will not charge. I had that with a battery minder years ago. I used an old craftsman charger from the early 70's to bring it up.

But your batteries might not hold much charge after being so deeply discharged? Was you 20 amp outlet you plugged into a tripping the gfi outlet??
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
No, a smart charger or smart inverter/charger will not attempt to charge a deeply discharged battery.

You will need an automotive (stupid) charger to start the process.

OR, jump from your toad until voltage is high enough for the smart charger to take over.
Thanks for the reply. I will charge the chassis engine batteries with my old school charger to get it running.
Still concerned why they are dead, any suggestions?
Old 05-08-2022, 09:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
Some battery chargers under a certain voltage will not charge. I had that with a battery minder years ago. I used an old craftsman charger from the early 70's to bring it up.

But your batteries might not hold much charge after being so deeply discharged? Was you 20 amp outlet you plugged into a tripping the gfi outlet??
No GFI on the 20a circuit.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:03 AM   #6

What breaker did you find tripped? Shore power breaker?

Do you have your inverter/charger "power share" or "power save" setting to 5 amps? A very reasonable setting for storage-- that 5 amps @ 120 VAC will charge the batteries in the mid 40 amps-- PLENTY.

Check for other 120 VAC loads, particularly high amp ones like block heater and water heater 120 VAC element.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:09 AM   #7

Quote:
What breaker did you find tripped? Shore power breaker?

Do you have your inverter/charger "power share" or "power save" setting to 5 amps? A very reasonable setting for storage-- that 5 amps @ 120 VAC will charge the batteries in the mid 40 amps-- PLENTY.

Check for other 120 VAC loads, particularly high amp ones like block heater and water heater 120 VAC element.
The shore breaker was tripped. I'm not sure how my inverter was set, will look into get setup properly.

So if it was set to "share" then it would use my engine batteries also?

Also can I charge both 12v batteries at once? I was going to to turn disconnect switch off at batteries and hook to pos and neg and set charge to 10amps for charging. Please advise,
Old 05-08-2022, 10:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwiii View Post

so if it was set to "share" then it would use my engine batteries also?
No, it has nothing to do with what battery(s) it charges-- strictly limits how many amps can be used for charging whatever batteries it is set up to charge. May be just house bank, may be both.

If you are on a 15 amp shore power outlet, i would set the inverter charger power share/power save feature to 10 amps. 10 amps of 120 vac will charge the batteries at around 80 amps.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbwiii View Post
Thanks for the reply. I will charge the chassis engine batteries with my old school charger to get it running.
Still concerned why they are dead, any suggestions?
There are loads on the batteries. No power, no charging, batteries get discharged. Quite likely, the inverter was “On”. Same story, no shore power, inverter discharged house batteries.

We’ve all been there. Be sure inverter is “Off”. Set charging to lowest level. Open both house and chassis disconnect switches. Find out why the breaker tripped. Alternatively, if battery charging is the primary goal, you may want to consider using a dumb battery maintainer and leave the coach unplugged.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
No, it has nothing to do with what battery(s) it charges-- strictly limits how many amps can be used for charging whatever batteries it is set up to charge. May be just house bank, may be both.

If you are on a 15 amp shore power outlet, i would set the inverter charger power share/power save feature to 10 amps. 10 amps of 120 vac will charge the batteries at around 80 amps.
Thanks you

Regarding getting the coach and chassis batteries charged, any suggestions on procedure?
Old 05-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks you

Regarding getting the coach and chassis batteries charged, any suggestions on procedure?

Yup-- "stupid" charger or jump house bank until voltage is high enough for inverter/charger to take over charging duties. If inverter/charger is capable of charging at over 100 amps, set it (power save or power share feature) to 10 amps @120 VAC so it doesn't trip the shore power breaker.

Don't know the wiring on your coach to know whether this will charge the chassis battery as well or if you need to use the BOOST SWITCH once the house bank is charged. Others with your make/model will probably chime in.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
There are loads on the batteries. No power, no charging, batteries get discharged. Quite likely, the inverter was “On”. Same story, no shore power, inverter discharged house batteries.

We’ve all been there. Be sure inverter is “Off”. Set charging to lowest level. Open both house and chassis disconnect switches. Find out why the breaker tripped. Alternatively, if battery charging is the primary goal, you may want to consider using a dumb battery maintainer and leave the coach unplugged.
I have multiple issues going on, which I will address later I understand why house batteries are dead, but I do not know why chassis engine batteries are dead, any suggestions

I am currently charging engine batteries with a old school charger.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:48 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I have multiple issues going on, which I will address later I understand why house batteries are dead, but I do not know why chassis engine batteries are dead, any suggestions
Bad/defective BIM - or improper wiring. The battery isolation manager is suppose to prevent a house draw draining the chassis batteries. I just had my BIM diagnosed by the dealer under warranty and they determined it was defective and replaced it.

Oddly enough, the same thing happened to our 2020 Kountry Star and they replaced it under warranty back then.

This is one of the first items I tested after taking delivery. The test is simple. Unplug the coach one night so you are simulating a boondock. Make sure AGS is off. Put the inverter on for the frig and leave a few lights on - create a solid drain on the house. The next morning the house batteries should be down quite a bit (12.0v) but the chassis batteries remain higher (12.6v). If both are drained down to the same level there is an isolation issue.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:58 AM   #14

Quote:
I am currently charging engine batteries with a old school charger.

Actually, unless you need to start the coach/drive immediately, I would put the stupid charger on the HOUSE BANK until the inverter/charger takes over.

Then, as soon as the inverter/charger takes over, move the stupid charger to the chassis bank.

Tags
batteries, dutch star