Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #1

Batteries losing charge while plugged in

Why would my batteries be reading low when I'm plugged in?

I was plugged into 50A from Weds.-Monday (yesterday). While there, my batteries read at 5 out of 5. I drove over 200 miles and plugged into 50A on Monday afternoon. This morning the battery level reads at only 3 out of 5. The volts read at 11.4.

Is this normal? I haven't seen it before.

I had my electrical compartment rebuilt a week ago.

Thank you.

Liz
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is this normal. DO not know. depends on many things.

For example. what converter do you have?> Did you "Upgrade" to a residential fridge, or is your RV fridge 3-way, How much power do you suck.

Sounds, however, like a bad cell in a battery to me.. I have one of those (Currently excised (Discoonnected) but I have one I need to replace before my next major trip come June or July.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Nope, not normal.

They should be Floating around 13.5 or 13.7 VDC or so when plugged in and fully charged.

If they are at 11.4 VDC they have actually discharged more than the recommended 50% SOC. House batteries should never be discharged lower than the recommended 12.1 VDC or so.

When they are that low and the charger is working correctly they should read about 14.3 VDC or so when being charged.

The battery changing system needs to be checked out to see whats not working correctly.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
My suspicion is it is not normal at all, especially since you had the electrical compartment rebuilt a week ago. Can you get back to the person/company that rebuilt it easily? They should be able to fix the issue.

Newmars generally have BIRD systems which will charge the house battery while driving, and the converter/inverter/charger should keep the battery topped up while plugged in. I suspect something did not get hooked back up right.

If possible, put an external battery charger on the battery and get it charged up. Letting it stay at 11.4V for a few days will ruin it, if it is not bad already as wa8yxm suggested. If it is bad, the external charger won't charge it.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #5

Thanks. I just called the shop that did the repairs. He suggested I check the fuses in the battery chargers. He also said that they filled and cleaned all the house batteries as a courtesy while rebuilding the electrical compartment. He said I need new house batteries.

Both battery chargers are brand new.

Liz
Old 12-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCarmel View Post

I was plugged into 50A from Weds.-Monday (yesterday). While there, my batteries read at 5 out of 5. I drove over 200 miles and plugged into 50A on Monday afternoon. This morning the battery level reads at only 3 out of 5. The volts read at 11.4.

Thank you.
Liz
Liz
What was wrong with your electrical compartment before you had it rebuilt?

It appares the "re-builder" of your electrical compartment mis-wired something!
Hopefully the shop that did the re-build will correct their mistake.

Some shops will correct their errors at no charge.
However, (in my experience), many/most will deny any/all responsibility!

Good luck.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Liz
What was wrong with your electrical compartment before you had it rebuilt?
Mel:

There was a fire in the electrical compartment in early November. There is a thread on it.

I would go back to the shop that did the repairs but am over 200 miles south (Virginia Beach) and prefer the rain here to the ice and snow there (northern Virginia).

The batteries were being charged while I was camped in northern Virginia. I noticed the problem after driving to Virginia Beach.

Liz
Old 12-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Mel:

There was a fire in the electrical compartment in early November. There is a thread on it.

I would go back to the shop that did the repairs but am over 200 miles south (Virginia Beach) and prefer the rain here to the ice and snow there (northern Virginia).

The batteries were being charged while I was camped in northern Virginia. I noticed the problem after driving to Virginia Beach.

Liz
Liz,

If you're plugged in, and your batteries are below 12V you indeed have a problem. It would be my suspicion that your new charger may have failed. I would try to have another conversation with the shop who did the work. You may have a warranty claim, and you want to proceed carefully to try to make sure you get it covered.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #9

Quote:

Thank you.

Liz
I have read other posts here and have to ask.ARE your LITES and FURNACE and FRIDGE all operating at 100%??? IF they are then your getting a false read out from your monitor panel. If your having trouble with theses items running slow or dim or whatever then your in trouble because your batteys are not charging and are dead. which is your situation ????
The repair guy saying u need new batterys? based on what ??
McRvnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Liz,
If you are unable to check the output from your charger, fuses, breakers or batteries ask the park where your at if they have someone that can assist you. Could have been a surge when hooking up your shore line that caused the problem. If you do have someone check it and they suspect a problem with the installation, don't have anything done without talking to the original shop first.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #11

Liz
You can get your batteries tested at most any RV service shop, (or at a battery shop/store).

A good one will not charge for the tests......(a great one will test them free and tell you the truth).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Liz,
If you are unable to check the output from your charger, fuses, breakers or batteries ask the park where your at if they have someone that can assist you. Could have been a surge when hooking up your shore line that caused the problem. If you do have someone check it and they suspect a problem with the installation, don't have anything done without talking to the original shop first.

Chuck
BUT!!! like I asked her she has not indicated that she has any actual problems?
until she verifys what I asked in my post iam not assuming she has any real problems
Old 12-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRvnut View Post
BUT!!! like I asked her she has not indicated that she has any actual problems?
until she verifys what I asked in my post iam not assuming she has any real problems
Yes, I agree. However, she needs to verify what the battery voltage is. If she is unable or not comfortable doing it, she needs to ask if there is someone that can help her. We can post suggestions all day, but if she cannot to the checks all the suggestions in the world are useless.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Yes, I agree. However, she needs to verify what the battery voltage is. If she is unable or not comfortable doing it, she needs to ask if there is someone that can help her. We can post suggestions all day, but if she cannot to the checks all the suggestions in the world are useless.

Chuck
well she sure needs to verify something before any of us can help her because as it stands there may not be any problems?? How in the world would she be able to live in the MH if the batterys were dead and charger not working?
surely the Christ she would notice no fridge,(if lpg) no lites and no furnace etc

Tags
batteries