Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #1

Battery charging question. Magnum 2812 inverter

We recently purchased a 2009 Newmar Essex. I'm changing the old lead acid batteries over to Lifeline AGM batteries. I was planning on leaving the chassis batteries as lead acid batteries. I understand that I need to set the inverter to type 1 in order to properly charge the new AGM batteries. However, in doing so will this over charge my lead acid chassis batteries? In other words if you have AGM batteries for the house, do you have to have AGM batteries for the chassis? Thank you in advance. C a r y
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No, this will not harm your chassis batteries. The BIM will only cross connect once you enter into a float charge, not during the bulk operation.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:09 PM   #3

While minor, the AGM1 setting on older MS2812's, does not provide the Float Charge that Lifeline now recommends. So you might as well go ahead and set up a Custom Profile on you MS2812. It was Feb, 2017 Rev E, that slightly increased the Float Value recommended voltage.

https://2cw8eb1vmmgg3g5i7jzt6upo-wpe...al-5-06-19.pdf

And I agree with redbarron73 - the Chassis battery should be fine!

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:13 AM   #4

Agree that the chassis battery will be fine but most Bi-directional charging systems combine the 2 battery banks based on voltage only.

They sense 13.4 volts and combine. That can happen in bulk, absorb or float mode of the charger.

The " BIM ", a brand name of a battery combiner, has a routine built in that actually manages the batteries.

The BIM monitors the battery voltage of both the chassis and coach batteries over long

periods of time. If it senses a charging voltage, it connects the two batteries together. If the

charging system is drastically overburdened, the batteries will be isolated, however, if the

BIM sees a long term charging of both batteries it will allow the batteries to remain connected

and allow the charging system to do its job. Once the batteries have charged for one hour, the

BIM will isolate the batteries to prevent overcharging, and will only reconnect the batteries

for charging if one of the batteries drops to approximately 80% charge, and the other is being

charged. This long term monitoring of the batteries prevents the annoying relay clicking that

exists in simpler isolation modules today. The BIM does not guarantee 100% battery charge,

but prevents harmful battery charge levels.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Agree that the chassis battery will be fine but most Bi-directional charging systems combine the 2 battery banks based on voltage only.

They sense 13.4 volts and combine. That can happen in bulk, absorb or float mode of the charger.

The " BIM ", a brand name of a battery combiner, has a routine built in that actually manages the batteries.

The BIM monitors the battery voltage of both the chassis and coach batteries over long

periods of time. If it senses a charging voltage, it connects the two batteries together. If the

charging system is drastically overburdened, the batteries will be isolated, however, if the

BIM sees a long term charging of both batteries it will allow the batteries to remain connected

and allow the charging system to do its job. Once the batteries have charged for one hour, the

BIM will isolate the batteries to prevent overcharging, and will only reconnect the batteries

for charging if one of the batteries drops to approximately 80% charge, and the other is being

charged. This long term monitoring of the batteries prevents the annoying relay clicking that

exists in simpler isolation modules today. The BIM does not guarantee 100% battery charge,

but prevents harmful battery charge levels.
Excellent description
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:28 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navionflyer View Post
We recently purchased a 2009 Newmar Essex. I'm changing the old lead acid batteries over to Lifeline AGM batteries. I was planning on leaving the chassis batteries as lead acid batteries. I understand that I need to set the inverter to type 1 in order to properly charge the new AGM batteries. However, in doing so will this over charge my lead acid chassis batteries? In other words if you have AGM batteries for the house, do you have to have AGM batteries for the chassis? Thank you in advance. C a r y
In terms of settings AGM1 profile is not correct for Lifeline AGM batteries, Magnum has not kept up with the times. Use Custom. Change final charge setting from Multi to Float otherwise your batteries will not keep a complete charge. Depending on your battery bank size (anything greater than 400AH) up your charge rate to 90-100%. Your chassis batteries will be fine with the AGM batteries.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, inverter