RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Battery Disconnect or Converter or WHAT!!!???

I am experiencing Rv troubles, electrical problems to be exact. As you will soon see I am a bit distressed, so please bear with me... Baystar 3401, 2015

My "Power Disconnect" (P/D) switch will not turn the power On or OFF inside my coach! I replaced the switch (inside the coach), because it seemed to be defective. At this time I did not replace the main unit (inside the engine compartment). I replaced the P/D switch and that seemed to do the trick. Everything seemed to work fine.

My batteries had been draining completely as a result of the switch malfunctioning, so I recently had the batteries replace with 2 6v batteries, and since then the P/D switch does not work unless the engine has run for several minutes, then the P/D will work while the ignition is on and engine running, but if I turn off the engine and use the house battery, everything is fine for about 5-10min, then the power the entire house "dies". The P/D switch does not work again until the engine is started again and runs for 5min approx.

The wiring has been rechecked and all seems correct both the House and Chassis have the same charge of 12.6(idle) 14.9(engine on) and shows not charging when the Genset is running.

I did replace the main Power Disconnect (Master in the engine compartment), and the same thing occurred after it was replaced. The power completely dropped after about 10 min on the batteries.

I started the engine again and after 5-10 min at idle the P/D was able to be used, it powered the coach on, so I decided to try the generator when the lights were on, so that it would switch to Generator, but instead of switching, the lights dimmed and brightened in sync with the Generator. It seemed that the coach did not shift to Generator Power for the House. I am wondering if the Convert is malfunctioning and not switching like it should? Could this cause this type of problem?

I am taking it in next week, but would like to have an idea of what to expect or what to tell them. I know that Newmar has had issues with this part (P/D Units), is my case typical, or has anyone else experienced this?

I plan to have the Converter "Progressive 9200 series 45amp" replaced, I have a new Progressive 9200 series 70amp, for the replacement. Couldn't get the 45amp soon enough, so decided to "upgrade".

Thanks

LCDRAKAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2017, 01:52 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi LCDRAKAllen,
Find where the power is being lost or never created. 14.9 is high. This tells me the batteries need a big charge. With a meter determine the charge status of the coach and engine batteries. Fully charged they should be around 13.6

The BIRD or BIM system you have will:
1. With the engine running charge the engine battery first then the chassis batteries.
2. Engine off and either shore power or generator as the power source the chassis batteries will be charged first then the engine battery.

If the batteries are being charged you'll go down the where is the power being lost path. If the batteries are not being charged then you'll go down the path to determine why.

The converter provides 12V charging from either shore or generator power. The Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) determines where power is coming from (shore/generator). The at rest default is generator. The ATS must be activated to allow shore power into the coach.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If the house batteries are low in charge the BCO or P/D will not operate.
Have you read your batteries with coach unplugged? If your reading 13.5 0r 14.5 plugged in your reading your converter output.
If the batteries can take a charge using a 12v battery charger will bring them back and your BIRD or B.I.M. SYSTEM will keep them charged if coach shore power is plugged in to at least 110 outlet.
This link will explain your battery system.
All the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:54 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the information, I have printed battery info and will read over it and then begin the painstaking task of trouble shooting, err, I mean, I will at least sound, semi-educated when I take it to the shop in the morning.

My "Power Management" System is located in the rear "electrical bay", I will ensure they check it as well. I replaced The Battery disconnect with new unit. Could Newmar have found a less convenient place to put it??!!

I will let you know how things unfold, I really hope it is an easy/quick fix we have a trip soon.

Appreciatively
LCDRAKAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:49 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What is the voltage with the engine off? Is it possible your 6v batteries aren't in series to give you 12v?

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, converter